PDA

View Full Version : CODES AND BD DYNOMITE

PEANUTGRWR
03-25-2002, 17:50
HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR TRUCK THAT IS EQUIPED WITH A DYNOMITE BOX SET A CODE EVEN WHEN THE BOX IS TURNED OFF??? WE HAVE TWO TRUCKS WITH THE BOX ON THEM AND BOTH OF THEM HAVE SET CODES AND DEFUELED OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT THIS WEEKEND. THEY WERENT BEING PULLED OR DRIVEN HARD. MINE WAS GOING UP A SLIGHT GRADE AT ABOUT 70 MPH WHEN IT DONE IT. THE BOX WAS IN THE FIRST POSITION WHERE FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND IS TURNED OFF AND DOESNT ALTER THE ENGINE POWER AT ALL. ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY WHENEVER THIS CODE IS SET THAT SOMETIME THE SES LIGHT COMES ON AND SOMETIME IT DOESNT. WHENEVER IT DOES THIS IT REALLY DOESNT FEEL AS IF THE FUEL IS BEING CUT IT JUST WILL NOT GET OVER 2000 RPM.

xwing
03-30-2002, 01:44
I know somebody with a 2001 D/A with a SpeedZone PowerPlay box (Bullydog box) who has never set a code, even towing at max for several states; yet it can do a 15.1 @ 85+ mph quartermile. I think the 'bad press' the Bullydog box gets from some people for altering fuel pressure is wrong.

Kennedy
03-30-2002, 08:37
Do you know WHAT codes were set? Could be totally unrelated...

Do you still have the externally grounded (firewall) harness?

PEANUTGRWR
03-30-2002, 21:21
IT WAS THE FUEL LEAK CODE SET. I DONT REMEMBER THE NUMBER OF THE CODE AND IM WAITING ON THE NEW HARNESS IN THE MAIL. THE ONE I HAVE RIGHT NOW IS THE FIREWALL GROUNDED HARNESS. WHAT IS DIFFERENT BOUT THE UPDATED HARNESS?

2DAMAX
03-31-2002, 09:12
No prob With my box.Have had on 2nd setting for 4k miles now and pulled 15k 5er with no problems or codes.Thank GOD. :D

Kennedy
03-31-2002, 12:33
First thing's first, change the harness. The intermittent jerking that can occur in a small percentage of these installations (predominantly occurring with the wipers on) sends the fuel psi signal on an ultra fast bungee jump from the top of the scale to the bottom, as observed (SoMn saw it too) with my Tech 2. That said, by eliminating the harness, (possibly occurring with less intensity etc) we can then see if it re-occurs.

I had this jerking situation on my truck with the first unit that I installed. Through process of elimination, I ruled out the box itself, but not the harness. I replaced the harness with a different one of the SAME design, and the problem went away. I recently sent this same harness that worked just fine for me along with a new style (internal ground) to SteveO who was having the same problem very consistently. The old style harness that had worked flawlessly for me had the exact same problems on his truck as his other externally grounded unit. He then put on the new style harness and last I heard not ONE problem!

So there you have it. It would seem that this problem was not just simply overlooked by VA, rather it seems to occur with certain vehicles,under certain conditions, AND appears to be easily corrected! Time will tell...

Now another possibility if your SES keeps setting, is to change the program files of the box to a SLIGHTLY less aggressive one best suited for towing.

PEANUTGRWR
04-01-2002, 21:15
I GOT A CALL FROM A TECH AT BD ABOUT TEN DAYS AGO AND HE TOLD ME THAT HE WAS SHIPPING A NEW WIRING HARNESS TO CURE MY WIPER/DYNOMITE PROBLEM TO THE LUBBOCK DIS LOCATION. WELL TODAY I FINALLY GET AROUND TO GOING AND GETTING IT AND THEIR MAIN PARTS/TECH PERSON WHO ACTS LIKE IT ****ES HIM OFF TO HAVE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTION WHAT SO EVER---TELLS ME THAT HE HAS NEVER HEARD OF THE PROBLEM AND BD HAS NEVER SENT ANY UPDATED HARNESSES TO THEM. SO SOMEONE IS NOT ON THE BALL EITHER DIS OR BD ONE. YOU KNOW IF YOU PAY AS MUCH AS THESE BOXES COST AND GET THE RUNAROUND IT KINDA HACKS YOU OFF!!!!!!! SO THE UNHELPFUL DONT ACT LIKE HE WANTS YOUR BUISINESS PERSON AT DIS CALLS BD AND FINDS OUT TO HIS AMAZMENT THAT THERE IS A RECALL ON THE HARNESS. HE CANNT BELIVE THAT SOMEONE KNEW MORE THAN HE DID FOR ONCE!!!! HE TELLS ME THAT THE NEW HARNESS IS ONLY DIFFERENT BY THE WAY IT GROUNDS. KENNEDY DO YOU KNOW IF THIS IS CORRECT OR NOT??? HE SAYS INSTEAD OF IT GROUNDING TO THE FIREWALL ITS GROUNDED TO THE BATTERY. IF SO WOULDNT I HAVE THE UPDATED VERSION IF I JUST GROUNDED MINE TO THE BATTERY AS WELL?

big dipper
04-02-2002, 15:41
Peanut,
I had a "glitch" with my box and I tried grounding it to the battery, just for laughs. To me a ground is a ground, but I can almost guarantee after you put the "updated" harness on, your worries will be over. I have had the new version on my truck for three weeks or so and have had no problems what so ever!

PEANUTGRWR
04-02-2002, 21:20
HEY THANKS FOR THE INPUT DIPPER, CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE GROUNDING WIRE IS THE ONLY DIFFERECE IN THE UPDATED HARNESS AND THE OLD HARNESS??? THANKS

big dipper
04-02-2002, 21:40
Peanut,
Yes, that appears to be the only difference. I was expecting something different or more revised myself, but only the external ground wire is missing. I believe it is grounded inside the main plug now.

PEANUTGRWR
04-02-2002, 21:47
OIC OK THANKS, THE NUMBSKULL AT DIESEL INJECTION TOLD ME THAT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN THE OLD AND NEW WAS THAT THE NEW ONE WAS GROUNDED TO THE BATTERY. LOOKS LIKE THOSE GUYS WOULD GET ON THE BALL IF THEY ARE GOING TO BE IN THE MARKET TO SELL PARTS AND UPGRADES.

Kennedy
04-02-2002, 23:05
Where the ground attaches is not so much the issue as the fact that it breaks out of the harness and goes to chassis.

G Burton and I had a conversation and he, as a radio tech could likely do a better job of describing what can happen, and what is likely happening with the externally grounded harness.