PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, new truck, lovin' this place.

Campfire_Rick
07-27-2003, 01:16
Hi all:

First I want to thank AFP for sending me over. He and I share a love of gunpowder and itty-bitty groups, and now I guess we have one more thing in common ... Duramax Diesels. Thanks!

So, as a point of order:

2003 GMC 2500 HD SLT, 4x4, Fire Engine Red, Duramax/Allison, OnStar, XM, DVD. I bought it the weekend of the Fourth of July, and it now has just shy of 1,000 miles on it. Only mod so far is the Line-X bedliner, but after hanging out here for a few weeks, it sure won't be the last!

Point #2: I have the infamous tick, and it sucks, harmless or not. I'm prayin' it goes away.

#3: Already ordered a case of Baldwin 1441's from Mr. Kennedy, as well as an oil sample kit from the AvLube. Gonna dump the factory stuff next weekend (if the filters arrive) and put in Delo 400 for 1500 miles, dump it again, another 1500 miles with Delo 400, then I'm going to synthetic (still considering Delvac, Rotella, or Mobil 1). TranSynd, and differentials are scheduled as well for the synthetic stuff.

Here's a story you need to know. After buying my truck on the 5th and getting the $3,000 rebate in effect at the time, I was browsing this board a few days later and came across the news that there was a new $1,000 rebate on the Duramax. I gnashed my teeth a little, read all about how rebates are controlled by the date of delivery, and finally decided, to hell with it, it was worth a try. I visited the dealer, and he was none too enthusiatic about helping me, until I mentioned that my father-in-law was interested in a new Denali, and was he fighting for me or not.

Well, I got a call Tuesday, and surprise, he got approval from GM to give me the rebate. I went in, signed new rebate papers, and am picking up a check for $1,000 Thursday. That $1K is directly attributable to the information on this Board (thanks AFP!).

So, guys, is $1K enough to buy a good shell. tongue.gif Who makes the good ones?

Thanks all!

Campfire_Rick

sdaver
07-27-2003, 05:24
welcome....there's a world of info here just use the search function.....congradulations on your truck and your deal.........hey does'nt hurt to ask the worst thing they could do was say no :D dave

DuramaxDicko
07-27-2003, 16:55
Campfire_Rick
congrat on the new addition. (and also that 1k, you're the first I have heard that got the extra 1k)
you mentioned useing the 1k for a shell, not sure what all shells go for, I had my eye on a Snugtop, so was a little over on the 1k.. I paid 1840, but did get an extra slider inside the shell and the window also folds down so you can wash the truck window and the camper shell window.
I also had the truck rear window replaced with an electric slider, so we can access the shell from inside the truck.
I did not want a boot on this shell, my last shell with boot ate the paint 2 times (over 14 yrs) and since I only need to have someone be able to access the shell from the inside to reach a cooler in the shell, the need for a boot was not there.
I have some pictures of the shell/window(s) at this site:
http://1netweb.com/images/shell/shell.htm
if you want to take a peek.

On a side note: anyone have mud flaps all around, do you have pictures and what flaps did you use.
I have some GMC flaps, was going to install today, but they just don't seem to fit perfect, they must be for any truck as they are not formed to the wheel wells and flairs.

afp
07-27-2003, 17:02
Welocme Rick! These guys here are of similar caliber (pun intended) as the group of us you have at Campfire. For those of you interested in Hunting and Shooitng, Rick has the best hunting/shooting website out there at http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

BTW, I just helped talked a friend out of an '03 PSD. The main help in him making his decision was the extra full oil level (read injector leak) on the dipstick. He managed to overlook the dead pedal. My friend likes Ford trucks, so I told to either wait for the '04 PSD (I assume most of the bugs will be worjked out) or if he wants one today, get a GM or Dodge. He is now looking hard at GMs, just hard to find one.

Blaine

tswartos
07-28-2003, 15:15
Welcome,

shells - i priced shells a month ago for my 95 and the nice formed shells were going for $1200 in my area so...check the yellow pages for local prices or maybe a TDP member is from your area can recommend someone.

upgrades - there are two main types of members here, those who upgrade as soon as they buy and those who take their time and gradually upgrade. Mainly a matter of personal preference...i know i wanted to upgrade everything on my truck when i first got it but now i realize i only need a few things done and can do the others as beer allows :D

smartfix
07-28-2003, 18:45
Thanks all

Just called my Dealer..He gave me the 3000 Rebate

And just played Dum on the 1,000.. He spoke to his manager and he told me to come tuesday to get it done.. Dealer tryed to F<<me

New 2003 with the Dum engine Slap
duramax@bellsoth.net