PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption?

BarryP
03-26-2002, 08:55
I know this has been discussed before, but would like to touch on the topic again. After an oil change my Duramax will use aprox. 1qt of oil the first 1500 miles and will continue to use oil till next oil change (5000 miles) averaging about 1qt every 1000 miles. The dealer tells me this is acceptable. Is anyone else expierencing oil consumption similar to this? :confused:

Maverick
03-26-2002, 14:11
I have but not that bad. I was 1qt to every 2000-2500 miles. I was using Shell Rotella 15-40. I switched to Amsoil Diesel Synthetic Series 3000 5w-30 and now it is 1qt to every 4500-5000 miles. I like the Amsoil. tongue.gif

Zapper
03-26-2002, 15:48
BarryP, My truck now has 7500 miles, changed the oil at 3500 miles the first time. I work with three guys who have D/A's, mine has never consumed or lost one drop of oil, according to the dipstick. I have not pulled any thing heavier than 5000lbs though, and won't for a couple of years until we can afford are dream camper. My co-workers use are similar to mine recreational pulling or farm use with no complaints of oil consumption. I don't know what is considered normal, (maybe I should not of posted if I didn't have any input huh), but I can not imagine that kind of usage being acceptable. Maybe I don't run mine hard enough. I feel extremely lucky with my truck. I love her already, (it usually takes me at least a year). Not one problem, I had one SES light when I forgot to plug the wires back in after checking the air filter, I drove her about an hour and light went off it did scare me though it ran like crap with that plug off. One question I have about viscosity though, do you folks run 5w30 year round? The manual seem to insist on 15w40. I do not want to give Generous Motors any reason to not warranty my truck.

midwestdmax29
03-26-2002, 18:25
Watch it really close, my 2001 started doing that at @13,000 miles and also smoked white/grey when it was cold. As it turns out, a faulty injector was the cause, and was fixed at the dealer I traded to. By the way, it never used oil all summer with heavy towing. It picked up the habit in the fall.

srubrn
03-26-2002, 18:28
To my knowledge it has always been almost all manufacturers idea that using a quart oil at even 500 miles is considered normal. I don't agree, but you won't get anywhere with them on that subject.

bdarrah
05-21-2002, 17:22
Day one thru 30,000 miles my Duramax has averaged 1 qt oil to 1300 to 1400 miles. Well below my expectations!!! Oil consumption is best represented with fuel consumption. Different load factors can cause different results. Running empty vs pulling a trailer. Based on that statement, I'm using 1 qt oil for every 70+/- gallons fuel. GM hasn't provided the dealer with any guidelines. One inspection showed some dirt getting past the air filter. My have to take a stand as this could have caused ring scratches.

'01 Chevy 2500HD Extended Cab with Allison

LarryM
05-21-2002, 19:40
I have been concerned about oil consumption for a long time on my truck. It seemed like the oil consumption was intermittant. It would go for a long time and then suddenly use a lot. Just recently I think I figured it out. This is what is happening on my truck, yours may very well be different.

If I change the oil and filter and put in 10 quarts of oil, the level will be way above the top notch on the stupid dipstick. Because of the dipstick design, you can not easily see the overfill. There is some question whether or not this is actually an over fill, but that is not a concern for this discussion.

Since you cannot easily see the level above the top notch, I thought I was not using any oil at all and then suddenly use some. Recently I painted the end of the dipstick with flat white paint and carefully add oil until its at the center notch. It only takes a little over 9 quarts to reach this mark after a drain and filter change. That's measured after running the thing for a bit and then letting it settle for a long time.

Watching it closely over the last few thousand miles has shown it to use a quart in 3000 miles very regularly. More than I like, but not enough to be concerned with. To those who I have corresponded with about oil consumption, I just came to these conclusions in the last week after reviewing data from the last several thousand miles. I'll put another 3500 miles on it next week and will report back on those results.

I would suggest that those concerned about oil consumption look at the dipstick and fill levels very closely. You may not have what you think you see.

mark45678
05-21-2002, 20:01
I just got to the 15K mark and mine finaly stoped useing oil.... It would use 3Qts every 5000miles!last oil change 1.2QTs in 5K.I would try to hook up to a heavy trailer and put the thing to work to seat the rings!!!!! I would say if you could pull around 8K for at least a few hours with lots of up hill pulls would take care of things!!! Deisels have to work to get high clynder pressure. besides if you havent tow with it yet you are missing the reason why most of us bought them

Diesel Brad
05-21-2002, 20:27
I regularly check the fluid levels on the Max and haven't noticed any oil consumption. The truck has close to 10,000 miles on it. In fact, the oil stays pretty clean even at 5,000 mile change intervals.

Fuel economy has been about 17.5 mpg combined city/highway driving with a highway mileage best of 21.3 mpg. The truck is a 2500HD ext. cab short bed 4x2.

Needless to say, no complaints here.

mguebert
05-21-2002, 20:44
My truck still uses approx 1 qt per 1500-2000 miles. Has since day 1, it now has 25000 miles on the clock. Ticks me off, my Powerstroke and NA 7.3 Fords never used oil.

It seems like this is a common enough complaint to label it a problem. But GM has a very convenient Cover their A$$ statement of it's normal. Arggggghh :mad:

Don't even get me started on the launch slack I feel in the drivetrain every time I take off. It feels like a bad u joint. Two different dealers blew me off telling me it was also normal. It plain ticks me off that I have to deal with these problems on a very expensive and otherwise perfect truck :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: mguebert ]</p>

JEBar
05-22-2002, 04:27
mguebert...had the same u-joint feel with my 3500, dealer said caused by springs settling and flexing on take-off...installed sometype of spring rubber spaces that GM provides for this reason...wasn't sure at first but after 400 miles seems to have pretty much resolved problem...do not know if the above would apply to your 2500 springs, just thought any info may help :D

Dave_WB3FYV
05-22-2002, 12:10
Well, MY truck has 12,000 miles and hasn't used any oil to date. Dealer changed at 3,000, and 7,500 miles - won't be able to get into the shop for a while longer this time. Dipstick still shows at the top notch, right where it is when I check it after the drive home from the shop.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong? According to other postings, it should be down 2 quarts by now.
Haven't had a chance to tow anything with it yet, however, it did get a hard break-in run from Texas to New York in 26 hours with only 1,000 miles on it when new. Figured the extended time at high temperature seated everything quickly. I didn't drive it like it was stolen, but didn't baby it either. Runs great, averaged 24 mpg on that drive. Still getting around 18.5 up here with mixed highway and 2 lane mountain roads around West Point. No tick, no smoke, but the oil does look a little dirty now. Using factory filters and whatever oil the dealer puts in, at least it's 15w-40! I need to get a Fumoto drain valve so I can change it myself, then be able to measure how much comes out compared to what goes in. Dealer just drains it into a huge drum, no way to measure quantity.
Hope nothing changes, I feel pretty lucky so far!

Kent Tuttle
05-22-2002, 12:38
"dealer said caused by springs settling and flexing on take-off...installed sometype of spring rubber spaces that GM provides for this reason"

JEBar,

Do you know where they installed these rubber spacers? I have this what feels like drive line slack on my truck. I need to take it and complain about it.

thanks

56Nomad
05-22-2002, 13:08
Hi BarryP,

My truck has just over 10,000 miles. I've
just done my third dino oil (Delo 400) change and each
time 10 quarts of oil come out of the engine.
I have a Fumoto valve and recycle my oil in
a 2.5 gallon jug.

Half of the mileage has been driving with our
Lance camper average 70 mph/HWY and 13 mpg w/camper.

As per the recommendations on this forum,
I drove my truck very hard after the first 500
miles - 80-85 mph interstate drive from Texas
to Oregon. I don't know if a good break in
has something to do with mimimal oil consumption down the road.

I love this truck! :D :D :D

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

Mic
08-14-2002, 14:35
The accepted rate of oil consumption for the 6.6L Duramax? Diesel engine is 0.946 liter (1 qt) within 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used. This rate only applies to vehicles under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, driven at legal speeds and within design intent of the vehicle.

:cool:

JoeyD
08-14-2002, 14:43
I have read about oil consumtion problems on the TDR and the answer was always tow something heavy. It should cure it unless something mechanical is wrong.

Jumbo Jet
08-14-2002, 15:08
63,000 miles on my CTD and never used any oil.

I change oil according to the season and my driving habits. Generally change between 5,000 and 7,000 miles.

I pull a 9,000lb. 5th wheel occasionally probably about 16,000 of the 63,000 miles.

I use Rotella T 15w40 exclusively. First oil change was at 1,500 miles.

Made my first loaded pull when truck had 600 miles on it. Waited till then to just make sure the ring and pinion gears in the differential were mated good. Then drove the truck and trailer between 65 & 70 mph - 2200 to 2400 RPMs for 300 miles.

Blow-by bottle on CTD never has more than a few drops of oil condensate when I change oil.

You need to heat those trucks up to set the rings correctly and don't use the synthetic lubes until you have several thousand miles on them.

GrayMax
08-14-2002, 19:50
Mine consistently uses 0.5 - 1.0 quarts between 3,000 mile oil changes. This really annoyed me at first but have come to live with it for now.

biglou
08-14-2002, 20:28
I noticed my truck using oil when I had 10k miles on it. By 21k miles consumption was about a gallon and a half between oil changes. Dealer found an injector with bad o-rings. They replaced the o-rings, then the injector (it developed a short). That took about 30 days for them to trouble shoot and repair. Since their work my truck has no power. Shop can't figure it out, GM Field Engineer can't figure it out, GM will not let the shop do their own troubleshooting. It appears to be a fuel pump problem or a turbo problem that the field engineer refuses to acknowlege. He actually ordered a new Allison transmission which was installed this week to no avail. It has now been another 30 plus days, I really want my truck back, I love it when I have it, but will shortly be hiring an attorney to protect my large investment. :mad: :mad: :mad:

letsgo
08-16-2002, 15:37
Have 12000 miles aprox. towing 10,000 lb 6000 of those miles, on 2nd oil and filter change, and havent lost or added any oil in between. Driving consisted flatlands, mountains, 93*F heat.

Good Luck

GMC 2002 DURAMAX SLT EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD 4X4 AUTO

JEBar
08-16-2002, 17:57
currently just under 20,000 miles...oil changed every 5,000...Rotella-T 15W40...no oil added between changes to date :cool:

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: JEBar ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-16-2002, 18:27
I have just under 10K miles now, quick oil changes in the beginning, now between 2500 and 3000 mile intervals. Not a drop of oil between changes!!

I use GM Dino oil and the "Stealer" changes it for me.

GMC ;)

deerhunter7
08-19-2002, 10:15
I have almost 12,000 miles and have never been down anything readable. Just checked oil yesterday
3,000 miles on Shell Rotella 15-40 and right up to full. Pulled a 5,000 lb. camper around this summer and expected to use some because I drove hard and fast. But used none.. :D

hoot
08-19-2002, 10:46
I use about one quart between 4000 mile chnages.

SoCalDMAX
08-19-2002, 11:17
I just changed my oil, 13,600mi on truck. I changed at 600mi, 6600mi as well. 7,000mi on this change, Delo 400 all the way. I've never had to add any oil. I put in 10qts, the dipstick reads full and still reads full when I get around to changing it.

I was very surprised at how clear the oil still looked with 7,000mi on it. Showed it to my neighbor who says he used to be a certified Cummins tech and his comment was, "Yes that is very clean looking, looks like your rings are sealing." Showed it to my neighbor across the street, diesel mechanic for the county (variety of construction equip. and Ford PSDs) and he was also surprised.

Maybe driving it like a maniac has paid off...

Regards, Steve

Black Dog
08-19-2002, 13:24
There is an oil consumption test that was published in the SAE paper written by GM and Isuzu engineers after the initial release of the engine. The test was run for 2500 hours at a 66% mean load factor. The test shows oil consumption starting out at around 0.2% of fuel consumption, and ramping down to (and leveling out at) about 0.08% of fuel consumption over the first 250 hours of operation. 0.08% of fuel consumption works out to about 1 quart over 5000 miles, assuming an average of 16 mpg. You guys whose trucks "don't use a drop of oil" must have some kind of magic engine.

ALL ENGINES USE OIL!

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Black Dog ]

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Black Dog ]</p>

Jumbo Jet
08-19-2002, 14:24
I guess all I could afford is an old Dodge CTD that I never have to even think about checking the oil on - even though I do every now and then just as a sensible thing to do.

I couldn't afford a Chevy or GMC - well, really I couldn't/wouldn't want to spend my money on a truck that consumed a quart of oil every 500 miles and the manufacturer said that it was normal.

I owned a 2001 Dodge CTD and now own a 2002 Dodge CTD. Could've bought whatever I wanted. I just wanted a Dodge.

I had been a Chevy/GMC owner since 1974. Last Chevy was a 1997 Z71. Probably the best gas burner I ever owned. The Duramax wasn't available when I needed a diesel and the Cummins fits the bill.

01_Duramax_Dually
08-19-2002, 14:40
Well Mac and I had the same philosphy from day 1..."Drive it like you stole it". I was towing my trailer after 500miles and have never looked back. I put in 10 qts at an oil change and 10K miles later I pour out about 9 3/4 and I think the other 1/4 is just in the motor still and of course the loss in the filter paper.

This is my first diesel truck and my friends that drive tractor rigs said STOMP IT..Work it, they really like it and so on...

WillyM
08-27-2002, 10:15
Has anyone ever considered that the starting oil level may be too high? I notice a strong burnt oil smell after an oil change. This goes after a 1000kM or so. The level on my dipstick drops a notch or two between oil changes, but I never have had to add oil. I stopped trusting the dipstick after the first oil change, and now measure out the recommended quantity to add (9.5 litres up here in Canada), but maybe it's too much, and too much mist/splashing is developed in the crankcase until the level goes down a tad. I will start at 9 litres for the next change.

john2
08-27-2002, 10:25
I have just about 8,400 miles logged and no oil use that i know about. First change at 5k , second at 8K (both dino / next one will be delvac 1) and I check the dip stick every several fuel fill ups. At the first change the dealer put in 11 quarts. Same dealer put in 10 1/2 at the second change. I suspect I did use some oil but that it did not show it on the stick.

mackin
08-27-2002, 14:49
Willy

Welcome to the BB.......

The burnt oil you are smelling after a oil change is more then likely the crankcase ventilation......The tube (vent) is located on the drivers side behind the inner fender well,and vents to outside area.....Some oil smell worse then others ,and the odor last longer with certain oils too.....Not to worry...This is all assuming you didn't dump a quart or so down the front of the engine on the refill,then you all ready new where the smell was comming from ,and this is a test........ ;)

MAC :D