PDA

View Full Version : warm start inhibit switch

FredM
07-22-2005, 19:16
what is the established (non manual switch for the wife) solution for an 87 warm start problem please, i am unable to determine it from the archives, is it a simple bypass of the inhibit switch or can a resistor be used.

BobND
07-22-2005, 20:52
You must have 60G or other dual-coil glow plugs to be able to do these mods safely, without winding up with broken glow plugs stuck in your pistons.

Bypass the inhibit switch completely. Move the controller to the inside of the LH fender, just behind the battery, to get it away from the engine heat.

You will get glow plug activation at every start, and MUCH better starts with less smoke. The controller will last longer away from the harsh diesel shake.

If a LONGER duration glow time is desired, Dr.Lee's fix is to install a resistor in the "feedback" line from the glow plugs to the controller. I have the specs for the resistor at the shop, probably someone else will post those before I get back to the shop.

Lightyear
07-27-2005, 07:55
Is there a thread for that mod? I'd love to do that to my 6.2TD 'Burb. Thanks,

Buzz

jcareyaustin
10-01-2005, 10:07
What is the resister value and where does it go?
Many thanks,
Jim

jcareyaustin
10-03-2005, 03:00
Ok,
I think I have gleaned enough of this off the forum. 5 to 10 ohms (seems to be two schools of thought, I assume the higher the resistance the longer the glow time) 2 watt resistor on the lead of PIN 4

"Pin 4: The 82 trucks will have an orange wire at this location and the 83-84 models will have a dark green wire. You should be able to measure direct continuity (0 Ohms) to the double red terminal on the glow plug relay and you should see battery voltage on Pin 4 when the glow plugs are energized. Not seeing voltage on pin 4 when glow plugs are on would indicate a wiring problem."

If I replace the old glow controller, what if I leave the old controller in position, disconnect/re-connect the leads to the new controller, and tie back to the wiring harness away from the direct contact of the engine/heat.
Do I need to add an external ground or is the circuit already grounded through Pin 5?

Can anybody verify these assumptions on a 82 6.2L?

Many thanks,

Jim

"I know of no way of judging the future but by the past."
Patrick Henry