PDA

View Full Version : 1st Oil change to Sync????

peachin
04-14-2003, 18:36
I changed the oil and filter ( the black one) at 2500 miles and I put in
Rotella Sync. Although the engine takes 10 quarts with the filter. The
Dip stick was full at 9 quarts

dmaxalliTech
04-14-2003, 20:33
peach, should take 10, just for kicks, let sit o/night and check first thing to see where you are. its possible you still got some dyno in there. I wouldnt worry about it, if your gonne stick to synthetic, its gonna become extinct (pun intended) ;)

txguppy
04-14-2003, 20:45
I know there are probably several opinions on WHEN to switch to synthetic from petroleum based oil on diesel engines, and I am no expert. But, from what I've read on this site and plain logic, the consensus is to let the Dmax "break-in" for up to 20K miles before using Synthetic.

As some have stated, "drive it like you stole it" after the initial break-in. Anyway my 2 cents. Good luck, and you may try lifting the front of the truck to drain more of the oil out.

txguppy

jbplock
04-15-2003, 05:28
"Dr. Lee says switch over to synthetic engine oil in your DuraMax whenever the mood strikes you."

See
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000134&p=

:D

peachin
04-15-2003, 06:26
I also noticed after changing from factory 15-40 dino to 5-40 Rotella Sync. That the oil pressure was the same when driving and keeping rpm up, but when I released the gas peddle I see that the Oil Pressure went from 60 to 40 much faster than before the oil change. Is this normal?

Kennedy
04-15-2003, 07:13
Like Bill/DR Lee stated, it's really a matter of preference. Economics is a bigger factor IMHO. Knowing what I do now about the Dmax, I would have started out with a bypass filter and changed the oil early and often, going to Delvac 1 at 1000 miles. The only reason for waiting would be so I could do 2-3 changes in 1k without extreme expense. Most of the major break in is done at the factory. We are just "polishing" the jewel...