PDA

View Full Version : Cab Odor

Ranger354
07-27-2003, 18:49
I know this has been talked about before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I cleaned the two (2) in cab a/c filters. And I am still getting a strong odor when I make tight turns at mid speed. It smells sour.

I read somewhere that some one said to pour some Clorox down the vent infront of the wideshield and or check the a/c drain hose behind the passenger side floor board.

You guys got any suggestions.

Thanks, Ranger

HD-Nate
07-28-2003, 09:17
GM makes a kit that the dealer uses. They actually drill a hole somewhere in the location of the heat exchanger, stick in a nozzle from a can of disinfectant and sprays to kill any molds, then stick a nozzle in and spray a deodorizer.

Ask your dealer, he may be able to supply you with the kit.

If it

Ranger354
07-28-2003, 09:32
I never thought of doing it under warranty. I better get down there since I have 31,000 on the truck and its only a year old.

I really would rather do my own work on it, but sometimes it is beter for the dealer to work on it.

Thanks, Ranger

HD-Nate
07-28-2003, 12:14
Ranger,

Just for an FYI, here is a copy of the text from the TSB on my C5 Corvette for the Oder Control. Yes I know the Truck is not a Vette but it will give you and your stealer a general idea of what I'm talking about:

-------------------------------------------------

Odor Correction

Eliminating Air Conditioning Odor

Odors may be emitted from the air conditioning system primarily at start up in hot, humid climates. The odor may be the result of debris in the HVAC module or the growth of mold on the evaporator core. To address this condition, a service kit is available through GM SPO.

A single application of deodorizer GM P/N 12370470 will remove odor from the air conditioning system. Installation of a delayed blower control module is recommended to prevent the odor from returning. Should the delayed blower control module be used, refer to the installation instructions that come with the part.

Perform the following steps to deodorize the air conditioning system:

Make sure that the plenum which draws outside air into the HVAC module is clear of all debris.
Disable the A/C compressor clutch operation by disconnecting the clutch coil electrical connector.
Dry the evaporator core by:
3.1. Starting the vehicle.
3.2. Setting the temperature control on maximum heat.
3.3. Setting the system in a recirc mode.
3.4. Running the blower motor on high for 10 minutes.

Locate an area in the air conditioning duct between the blower motor and the evaporator core downstream of the blower motor (1).
Drill a 3 mm (1/8 inch) hole where it will not interfere or damage the blower motor, evaporator core, or any other operating part of the system (1).
Wearing safety goggles and latex gloves:
6.1. Keep the blower motor operating on high.
6.2. Insert the extension tube of the deodorizer GM P/N 12370470 into the hole, past the mark on the extension tube.
6.3. Over a 2-3 minute period of time, dispense the contents of the can into the duct, using short spray bursts and varying the direction of the spray.

Turn the engine OFF and let the vehicle sit for 3-5 minutes.
Seal the 3 mm (1/8 inch) hole with body sealer or RTV gasket compound.
Start the engine and operate the blower motor on high for 15-20 minutes to dry.
Reconnect the A/C compressor clutch coil electrical connector and verify proper clutch operation

[ 07-28-2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: HD-Nate ]