PDA

View Full Version : It's just sooo strange....

Alli-max
04-15-2003, 11:45
stopped for fuel and made my daily check on the Dexcool. Heading to work this morning, low coolant light came on. About 10 minutes ago, it was about 3-4 inches above the "hot" line. I am sure it is out there puking right now. No dealer can help me. They scratch their a... head in disbelief. :rolleyes:

Jelisfc
04-15-2003, 11:49
I heard it has to do with a faulty MAF sensor. :D :D :D

Mine was low from the factory. The sensor is very touchy. Even though the fluid covered the sensor it still indicated low. Once I filled it to the right level it shut off...go figure.

[ 04-15-2003: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

Alli-max
04-15-2003, 12:05
yea, but even if low, I bet you dont carry around a gallon in the bed of your truck!!!

The local Wal Mart has had to increase their min/max levels of the Texaco Dexcool for me. :rolleyes:

mackin
04-15-2003, 15:58
Alli-max

What is the deal on the pre-exsisting re-occuring before my warranty ran out I brought it to your attention ordeal going ???

Do it yourself check =&gt;http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/

MAC

Alli-max
04-15-2003, 20:38
mackin....

Last week was bad for me.... in Detroit at the welding show all week long. Couldnt do anything. I am under 2 feet of follow ups this week, and next week on the left coast from Sunday till Saturday for more hell. Following week I am pursuing this a 110%.

I am wondering though.... is it the simple things that the dealer overlooked? Something as a simple as a radiator cap? Anything else some of you guys / Divas can come up with? 86 any ideas about air in the system, this has been happening for a while now. Put in 3 gallons of Dexcool.

Man, if ANY of you GM guys that are watching this board sees this post, please help! Your dealers are CONFUSED!!!!!

ChevysRus
04-15-2003, 21:57
Alli-Max......there was a post a few months back about a member losing Dex-Cool and no one could find out where, it turned out to be a defective head gasket. Can't remember exactly who it was, but there was a lot of post and pictures about the bad gaskets. Sounded a lot like your issue, air, bubbles and steadily dropping level. Most of it was going out the tailpipe and not so much in the oil if I remember it correctly.

Good Luck

Alli-max
04-15-2003, 23:20
chevysrus....

I have seen the post. I see the light. What i am in is the step that AA calls denial. "Hi, I am Mark. I have a blown head gasket. I thought at first it was just low fluid. Then, after I got divorsed, I thought it was the water pump. I spent $700 on that. Still, same problem. What can I do?"

"Hi Mark. Welcome to Blown head gaskets anonymous. We can help. Wait.. I went to Duramax school, but have no idea what is wrong. Your problem is...... let me get back to ya"

RWHP
04-16-2003, 00:14
A blown head gasket should not be too difficult to diagnose.

1)Check for steam pumping out the exhaust after the truck warms up. If this happens go straight to step 3.
2)Check Dipstik for milk shake substance on it, better yet drain the oil. If this happens to straight to DEALER.
3)Check for abnormal presure in the radiator, or use a pressure tester on the radiator. Dealer again.

If it passes all those than you dont have a blown head gasket.

a64pilot
04-16-2003, 06:03
RWHP,
4 is also possible, gasses only enter the cooling system and overpressurize the cooling system and cause coolant loss that way. Even in that case also the dealer should be able to test for hydrocarbons (burnt fuel) in coolant. Apparently he has been to dealers and for some reason they cannot come to the apparently obvious conclusion. :confused:

hoot
04-16-2003, 09:19
Has anyone mentioned a leaky injector cup yet?

A previous TDP article stated....

"O-rings keep coolant from entering the rocker arm area and contaminating the engine oil. The bottom end of each cup is sealed with a high temperature/pressure seal. This seal was designed to prevent combustion pressure from finding its way into the cooling system.

It produces an over-pressurized cooling system and coolant loss through the surge tank overflow and/or chronic coolant consumption problem, resulting in a frequent "Low Coolant" warning light."

It has been a source of false head gasket diagnosis.

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

chuntag95
04-16-2003, 13:47
What Hoot said. I was lucky because mine leaked into the cylinder and was pushed out the exhaust for the most part. It is frustating to lose coolant and not be able to find where it goes. At least you see yours puking. :(