PDA

View Full Version : Coolant additive?

Dawg
11-01-2003, 09:40
Has anyone heard of an additive for our cooling system? It is supposed to do something to help protect the aluminum heads. I told the guy who was telling me about this that I had not heard of it. I certainly did not recall reading about such a product here. A search turned up nothing. I know there are a lot of snake oils out there, but some good products as well.

I just plan on flushing my cooling system more frequently than the manual requires.

jeephauler
11-01-2003, 14:34
Redline Water Wetter. Not snake oil, the racers swear by it. I run it in all my water cooled vehicles, and still change the coolant twice as often as reccommended.

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

Sneaks
11-01-2003, 16:47
Diesel water wetter or regular for the Duramax?

RocketsDmax
11-01-2003, 18:46
A buddy of mine who owns a ford found info about some kind of additive for the cooling system on one of the ford sites. I'll e-mail him and find out some more info...It was supposed to keep air bubbles from vibrating against the cylinder walls and causing erosion or something like that?

Hound
11-01-2003, 20:09
Dexcool compatability issues?

Amianthus
11-05-2003, 06:28
The Dmax does not need a coolant additive to maintain ph in the system. Just keep the coolant clean and change it on a regular basis (I like a 50000 mile interval even though 100000 is recommended). The coolant additive package has the elements needed to protect the aluminum and steel components (and brass) in the system. The best thing you can do when changing out the coolant is to use de-ionized water from a jug. the purity will help keep things clean in the engine.

Ford's need to pay closer attention to the ph in their coolant system. Wild variations in ph cause the protective corrosion layer on the water walls to break down making the Ford block suceptable to cavitation pitting (from weak cylinder walls). After enough of this cavitation pitting, small holes will develop in the cyinder walls and a coolant leak will develop.

Be carefull with the water wetter. It breaks the surface tension of the coolant to allow better thermal transfer. Just be carefull that the additive doesn't interfere with the additive package of the coolant you choose (Dexcool). I don't know how it wouold react with it, if it would at all. My advice, just stick with the regular coolant. Just keep it clean.

ratlover
11-05-2003, 08:40
I have had good luck with water wetter with the regular old green stuff. Just with lowering the temp though. I dont know of any issues with dexcool though? My truck will keep at 210 with a plow on(blocking alot of air) at 70mph in 60deg temps so why fix something that aint broke? I think dexcool maintained properly(lots of topics on this about fluid level, no air, ect) works fine in our applications. JMO