PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut fuel line

permx11
07-28-2003, 12:04
I am planning on add CAT fuel filter pre oem on the frame rail. My question is how much fuel comes out when you cut the line with a tubing cutter? Whats the best way to avoid a shower?

tophog
07-28-2003, 12:18
I just did this yesterday. Installed Racor pre-OEM and cut fuel line. Was worried about spillage too as I was doing in garage with full tank of fuel smile.gif

Ended up being much less of an issue as I anticipated but I was prepared. I had pre-mounted filter and had all hoses/connections installed and ready to go ... also uncrewed cap to release any pressure in tank. Once I cut fuel line all I had to do was slip hoses on the fuel line ends. The tank-side line will flow the most ... just cap it with your thumb as soon as you cut the line then slide hose over it. Some will run out the engine side of the line but not a lot.

I stuck a towel in inside the framerail to soak up whatever I spilled ... worked out great, didn't spill any on the floor smile.gif

Got everything installed ... no leaks, etc. Drove to work this AM (60 miles) with no problems. Glad to have the extra filtration.

CntrlCalDmax
07-28-2003, 12:19
permx11,

I cut the line with a small tubing cutter and had a hose nearby to slip on the cut end from the tank. I blew the fuel back into the tank to break the siphon and had no leaks from the tank end. IIRC, I was at approx. 2/3 tank. Some fuel dribbled from the OEM filter line, but not much. Hope this helps.

permx11
07-28-2003, 12:20
Thanks will be doing this tonight. I still have to find a bolt for the filter housing the part numbers listed when I went to the CAT dealer were for metric bolts.

Jelisfc
07-28-2003, 13:45
Obviously I did something wrong. My first cut was the one closer to the front of the truck. Use a mini tube cutter. I thought I could get away without one which was probably why I made such a mess. That and the fact my cutter decided to explode parts all over the floor in the middle of the cut. When it was all over at least 1/2 gallon was on the floor. It would go a lot smoother if you have someone ready to put a finger over one end while you slip the tubing over the other then make your second cut.

permx11
07-31-2003, 12:37
Installed the CAT filter pre-oem the other night. Got the filter all mounted up good first. Then cut a couple small pieces of rubber fuel line about 3 inches long and put a plug in each end of them. Removed the fuel line for all the retaining clips on the frame rail, pulled the 1/2 inch line out and pulled it outside of the fuel filter to hold it about 4 inches out side the frame rail. put a drain pan underneath and using the tubing cutter cut the line about 4 inches inside the retaining clip at the rear, not much fuel came out at all probably a pint total, shoved the little fuel line plugs on both ends then cut the front of the fuel line about 4 inched behind the retainting clip at the front then moved the plug up to the new cut. Installed the fuel lines on the filter side and laid it out and cut it to length installed and tightened up. Had about a 1/4 tank when I did this. Took some time to pump all the air out. Runs great seems smoother and the balancing rates are all closer together now all running from 1.0 to -1.5.

thanks for all the help.

Maverick
07-31-2003, 12:48
permx11,
Sounds good. I plan on shortly myself. Tell me where you got the fitting that come out of the filter head and attach to the rubber hose. Part #'s would be good. What are they called?

permx11
07-31-2003, 12:55
I went to my local Hose/Fitting store they do a lot of aircraft type hoses and fittings. I had to get a #6 Boss with o-ring one one end that went in to the filter housing the other end was a flare fitting. Then got a flare to hose fitting. The parts were like $8 or so and a piece of 1/2 fuel line and 4 hose clamps.

permx11
07-31-2003, 12:58
Next step is to add a piece of aluminum plate underneath the filter like a skid plate will be very easy to install just a couple bolts and the plate can rest flat on the botton the fram rail.
About 6x6 inches should do just great. I may make it a little longer and go underneath the fuel cooler in front of the tank as I have a couple scrapes in that area because of the low ground clearance these trucks have.

permx11
07-31-2003, 13:01
I forgot to add that I got a small piece of angle iron from a local metal shops remnant bin for a buck.

Watch those CAT part numbers for the bolts the ones I got were metric and the filter house is sae.

56Nomad
08-02-2003, 10:19
For all you folks who are cutting your steel fuel lines.........

SAVE THE PIECE OF THAT 1/2" STEEL TUBING YOU CUT OUT

If and when you decide to move your new filter assembly from
a pre-OEM to a post-OEM filter location, it sure is handy to be
able to reinstall the cut out piece.

I've been there, done that....when I moved my Racor assembly
from the frame to under the air box.

If you've been keeping up with the filter strings,
there are some strong arguments to put
the secondary filters in a post OEM location.

LanduytG
08-02-2003, 11:34
I never cut a section out of the line. By cutting it once if you want to go back all you need is one coupling and your done and it looks good too.

Greg

56Nomad
08-02-2003, 11:54
Greg,

Good point... you're right on. It's easy to loop
the hose around from the assembly. One cut-
less mess. Looks better.

If anyone is going to do the pre-OEM filter.... I like
the assembly you sell because it has the see thru
bowl to collect any water in the fuel plus the
metal bracket you provide is easily to install on the
frame.

TC
08-03-2003, 22:10
I installed a lift pump on my truck a couple of days ago. Hopefully it will solve the air collection problem in the Mega filter.

Anyway, I ran the fuel level down to about 7 or 8 gallons. Then I used a small shop vacuum and put the suction in the fill tube before I started the cut. This way, I didn't spill more than a drop or so of fuel when I cut the line. Didn't even need the short fuel line with the plug in the end. And no, the vacuum didn't suck up any fuel.

D/A
08-06-2003, 18:12
On my install I just cut the rubber braided line and installed 1/2" couplers in the line with hose clamps didnt have to cut any of the line away so can just install 1 coupler to return it back the way it was. With the rear of the truck jacked up lost maybe 1 cup of fuel and it stopped running out so install was very clean and easy. Very happy the way the install went Trucks running great with the clean fuel.