PDA

View Full Version : Is GM Crazy?

N.E. TMRPR
04-16-2003, 08:07
I have a 01 cc 4wd 3500 D/A fully loaded that I paid about $40,000.00 for 20 months ago. I've put 82,000 miles on it and thought of trading it when GM offered o% finacing a few days ago. When I went to my dealer they told me the truck had gone up about $4,500.00 dollars. They gave me a price of $44,600 for the new truck or $41,600 with the rebate but no financing. This pricing is too high. The truck lists for almost $49,000. Is the price of $44,600 what everyone is seeing around or is it high? GM is just making us pay for the free finacing and they're not giving us anything. No surprise. Maybe we should all stop buying them for a year and the price would come down. The dealer also told me my truck is only worth $25,500. When a new on costs $20,000 more! The truck isn't even 2 years old and is kept in excellent condition.

K1XV
04-16-2003, 09:09
I went on www.carsdirect.com and priced up a Silverado LT 3500 in zipcode 01005 (Barre Massachusetts)with Duramax Allison and enough other goodies to get the MSRP up to $49,025 including the destination charge. The indicated CarsDirect price is $41,259 which includes the destination charge and is net of the $3000 rebate (in other words, the rebate is already deducted from this price).

When I bought a truck earlier this year, I printed out the CarsDirect price and brought it to a dealer, saying that if I could not do better than this, then I would buy through CarsDirect. The price came down.

k1xv

hoot
04-16-2003, 09:12
That's how they can offer big rebates and incentives.

It's the old, raise the price, then put it on sale, trick.

Turbo Al
04-16-2003, 12:12
I really think it's a DEALER thing since they are in control of the final selling price not GM. I would try other dealers untill you find one that actually wants to deal.

Jim Cobler
04-16-2003, 15:05
Have you tried shopping the internet? I did a search and found the dealers in several major cities. Most of them have an internet sales staff. They will send you stock sheets and pictures. The prices can be very attractive. Keep in mind you are buying a new truck with a warranty.

However, I don't agree with taking the prices to the local dealer to haggle them down because if you do, before long that will be your ownly choice. Competition is an advantage to the consumer.

I live in Kansas and ended up buying my car in Oklahoma City. I took a plane down there and they picked me up at the airport. I saved close to $5,000.00 and got my truck in a few days.

mackin
04-16-2003, 15:38
Is GM crazy ??

Nope .....

I think they've been lurking at the place where the dieselstop.com..... I feel they are prepping for a supply and demand scenario..... Just like in 01 when the Duramax first hit the scenes .....Don't try and threaten you'll buy a furd,they might just laugh themselves to death .... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just let them know your not a band wagon jumper, and you'll be find.....Shop around, you'll find the right deal....

As I'm seeing the price of these trucks (all brands) are getting a bit absurd, I think my 01 will grow old in my driveway gracefully....

Good luck.....

MAC

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Bush Pilot
04-16-2003, 20:47
The best price I found on a new truck, dodge, gmc or chev, was dave smith motors in Kellogg Idaho. He quoted me 350 dollars over dealer invoice. I think he is one of the largest volume dealers in the country. 1-800-635-8000. He seems to want to deal. A lot of people from Alaska go down there and pick up new trucks.

Wheat Whacker
04-16-2003, 22:03
Check out Ande Chevrolet www.ande.com you can price out a new one on there website. Nice thing is that they show you invoice Vs. MSRP pricing side by side as you "build" your outfit.

Just a thought.

earniem
04-16-2003, 22:24
I bought a truck from Sangster Motoers Of Wenatchee Wa. and they beat Dave Smith by a good bit and still sold me the truck at $1500 over cost. Dave Smith has some hidden charges. I got a 2500HD 4X4 4dr long box Duramax/Allison bench seat. Bose radio manual shift 4wheel and a few more extras for $37400.00 and 4.2% interest. No one could beat that plus a real good dealer relationship. I found what I wanted and price shopped on the net then went to them with my deal.
Great people.