PDA

View Full Version : How did this happen?

BigLakeDMAX
01-04-2003, 23:12
Looking for some ideas on a rare breakdown on the Dmax - a cracked timing gear cover.

I took it to the dealer for a loud chirping noise from the front of the engine last week, and they replaced the water pump (truck had about 6500 miles and is about 3 months old). Fixed the chirp. I started it at the dealership and opened the hood - looked like a nice job: No leaks, everything back in place, etc. Put about 120 miles on it and noticed oil on my garage floor as I was packing it for a week-long trip. Opened the hood and found the front of the engine covered with oil. Right back to the dealer - took the Olds on the trip. I assumed that the tech had missed a connection when he installed the new water pump.

Stopped in at the dealer on my way by on Friday, told me that the timing gear cover had cracked and that oil was leaking out of it. They had to overnight one from Isuzu but the big storm out east turned that into an overweekend delivery. The service manager told me that the cracked cover was not related to the water pump and was a separate problem. The parts manager told me that they've never had to order that part before.

So, I'm wondering - as I've never worked on this engine - what's the chance that the water pump r&r and the cracked timing cover are truly unrelated? Has anyone worked on this? I'm thinking that it's too coincidental that the timing cover, a part that shouldn't see alot of stress, failed immediately after the pump was replaced. I'm thinking the tech may have had to pry on the pump to get it off and damaged the cover in the process; or possibly damaged it when he reinstalled the pump. Does the pump mount to or around the timing cover in any way that would explain this? Anyone else had their timing cover spontaneaously fracture? Is there any one thing that could have caused both the water pump and timing cover to fail?

Just sitting here on a Saturday night with an empty stall in the garage. :(

FirstDiesel
01-05-2003, 08:50
Sure sounds odd to me. Let's see. We worked on the front of the engine. Then the timing cover cracked itself all by itself! :confused:

Naaaaah :D

NWDmax
01-05-2003, 10:58
Imho the tech pried that baby using the timing cover as the fulcrum.I'm assuming that is a casting so its brittle and doesn't like to bend.
Blake

a bear
01-05-2003, 11:02
That cover did not crack on its own. It had to have pressure applied to it when removing the gear driven water pump. It probably took 120 miles to see the drip because of the fan spreading most of the oil on the engine.

D-max Man
01-06-2003, 11:24
The water pump is indeed mounted to the timing cover. I will have to look at the engine again but I believe that one of the water pump bolts is under the balancer, he could have pried on the pump trying to get the thing off before seeing it thus causing the crack.

Again I will have to look at the engine to confirm this and I don't have one close by but I think this could explain your problem.

I will check it out and get back with you