PDA

View Full Version : George Morrison--Questions

afp
07-28-2003, 19:04
George,

What is the best fuel filtration system out there right now? (IE CAT, JKs, ???)

Which is best, using the added filter pre or post OEM?

Which is the best oil filtration system? (IE Amsoil ot other?)

Blaine

george morrison
07-28-2003, 19:55
Blaine,
I do not mean to be politically correct in my answers but at this point the book on Duramax ultra fine fuel filtration is currently being written by the talented people on this web site. It is not as yet complete... As to which filter is best, which location (pre/post), not enough data. However, one thing is very clear; the addition of high quality fuel filtration has the potential of eliminating many fuel pump/injector issues and *greatly* increased fuel system life.. To the point of the fuel system being a non-issue. Stay tuned..

I have reviewed quite a number of by-pass oil filter results which have included particle counts and ferrographies and there is one by-pass filter which enables our engine oil to achieve ISO cleanliness as clean as our diesel fuel. That is quite a feat. However, the oil filter and installation kit is not yet on the market. When it is, I will be buying one.... The data on that installation is not yet complete either..
George

roegs
07-28-2003, 20:26
George...that was one smooth answer. If you're not already involved in politics, you should be!

hoot
07-28-2003, 20:39
I talked to George on the phone for a good while.

He taught me a lot in that one conversation. I believe he speaks from experience.... lot's of it.

afp
07-28-2003, 20:45
George,

Thanks--I think. So what do we do in the meantime? I cringe to think of all the particles that are going through my injection system.

Blaine

56Nomad
07-28-2003, 21:00
So what do we do in the meantime?

Blaine,

Look at all the good choices you have..... just
jump in and do it. Your truck will love you and
you can stop your worrying about those
nasty particles in your fuel.

Also, lets say that you decide to go pre-filter
and then change you mind after you find out
that a post system might be a better option.
Once you put a filter system put together, it's
easily moved. Been there....done it :rolleyes:

afp
07-28-2003, 21:16
Do you have any problems accumulating air in your system?

Blaine

56Nomad
07-28-2003, 22:35
Blaine,

To the best of my knowledge, Hoot and I are the only
ones who have installed the 2 micron Racor filters
post OEM and have put on some decent mileage after
install. Neither of us have had to do any air
bleeding from our systems. I think I'm approaching
8000 miles problem free. Manfred just installed
his 2 micron Racor set up after having air problems
with his mega.

Towing, highway, city mileage increase is 1+ mpg
increase. I find no difference in power.

[ 07-28-2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

roegs
07-29-2003, 07:06
Minor issue, but don't forget about Lone Eagle's post OEM Racor filter. His is mounted up on the AC compressor, providing a little easier access.

hoot
07-29-2003, 07:39
Originally posted by roegs:
Minor issue, but don't forget about Lone Eagle's post OEM Racor filter. His is mounted up on the AC compressor, providing a little easier access. Hoping not to start another rucus here, I don't think it's a good idea to rigidly mount the final filter to the engine. The induced vibrations might tend to dislodge captured dirt causing the filter to allow some dirt passage that would not normally occur.

I know some might think no matter where you mount the filter it will get shook but nothing like the high frequency (relatively speaking) continuous vibrations created by a diesel engine.

I believe there was some testing done with reference to CAT and the engine vibration issue.

Some might also say... hey... the stock filter is mounted on the engine..

Well guess what.... we are adding filters aren't we?

svpdiesel
07-29-2003, 08:35
I have to agree with Hoot- mounting the filter on the engine is going to agitate the filter, and may cause particles to pass through the element. I have Mega filter from JK, and had air issues which recently went away with the addition of a check valve in the clean side nipple. Previously, I would get at least a couple of stall/no-starts every tank. Haven't had one occurance in 6 tanks (2500mi approx) since putting it in. This did not make the air go away, it just allows it to pass through like the stock and Racor setups do, and keeps the system primed so it won't suck air at start-up. To get rid of the air/vapor problem all together, you need a lift pump. Multiple test results on the JK/Baldwin seem to be better than the Racor, but a recent Cat test looks better than both. As more people post results from the Cat system, it will help us see if it is consistently better. ( I think the Cat filter will fit on JK's mount)
Whichever way you choose to go, it will improve your fuel system's cleanliness, and like Nomad says, you can always change it.

ZFMax
07-29-2003, 09:33
George: any idea if or when there will be a Mobil 1 oil filter for the Duramax?

hoot
07-29-2003, 09:40
Originally posted by svpdiesel:
I have to agree with Hoot- mounting the filter on the engine is going to agitate the filter, and may cause particles to pass through the element. I have Mega filter from JK, and had air issues which recently went away with the addition of a check valve in the clean side nipple. Previously, I would get at least a couple of stall/no-starts every tank. Haven't had one occurance in 6 tanks (2500mi approx) since putting it in. This did not make the air go away, it just allows it to pass through like the stock and Racor setups do, and keeps the system primed so it won't suck air at start-up. To get rid of the air/vapor problem all together, you need a lift pump. Multiple test results on the JK/Baldwin seem to be better than the Racor, but a recent Cat test looks better than both. As more people post results from the Cat system, it will help us see if it is consistently better. ( I think the Cat filter will fit on JK's mount)
Whichever way you choose to go, it will improve your fuel system's cleanliness, and like Nomad says, you can always change it. Is it possible the air is accumulating in your filter and lowering the effective filter wetted area?

george morrison
07-29-2003, 09:44
Regarding "George: any idea if or when there will be a Mobil 1 oil filter for the Duramax?"
Excellent question and I will pursue..
George

svpdiesel
07-29-2003, 10:15
Hoot- it can't get any lower than the bottom of the nipple, or you lose prime and it quits running. So, if the there is constantly enough vapor in the system to keep the liquid at the bottom of the nipple, I'm losing maybe an inch or so of area. This would be true of any system that allows vapor to pass through, including the stock filter. Most of the OEM's Ive seen cut open, including mine, were only used about 75% up from the bottom. I guess if you left it in long enough, the bottom would clog first, forcing the level to climb higher to get over the clog, and eventually use up 100% of the filter..? I'm not gonna try it.. :eek:
Steve

Kennedy
07-29-2003, 11:24
FWIW, I have several used filters being dissected and should have pics avail soon.

Even with my exceptionally clean "from pump" fuel, at 9k, my OE filter was about 4/5ths used-discolored.

I have a 15k Mega element, a 12 K customers OE unit (lots of big trash drained) from over the road fuel, and a 6k OE from my truck up for inspection...

sonofagun
07-29-2003, 12:12
George,

As always, thanks for your informed input. Do you have any idea on when the filter unit you spoke of buying will become available?

Thanks,
Bob

SS396
07-29-2003, 13:10
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by svpdiesel:
I have Mega filter from JK, and had air issues which recently went away with the addition of a check valve in the clean side nipple.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, is the check valve available now? I installed the Mega filter last weekend and would be interested in the check valve.

No problems yet, but I only have 100 miles on it.

sonofagun
07-30-2003, 10:17
SS396,

Off topic --- by your sign in I assume you own such a vehicle? I have a '66 convertible that I really enjoy.

Bob

Lone Eagle
08-02-2003, 21:55
Since none of you guys know anymore about engine mounted filters than I do I will leave mine where it is. It has 8500 miles on it without a problem and is damn easy to get at. I guess we will have to run it past 100K to see. Later! Lone Eagle :D

Tinbender
08-02-2003, 22:38
Lone Eagle,
I copied your setup and thought everything was fine, then we had some hot weather and the second day it started, run for 10 seconds and died. Bled a bunch of air using the primer and it restarted right off. After we got back home and 3 bleeds later I mounted the filter under the air box. Seems OK for a couple of weeks now.

Hope this works as we are leaving in the morning for 5 weeks to Illinois and a lot of hot weather. Will let you know if I have any further problems. I really like you install.

Bob

SS396
08-04-2003, 08:26
Son of a Gun

Sure do, I have a 1967 Chevelle SS hardtop and love it. I have the original engine, bored 30 over, making it a 6.6L (402ci).

So far very little air in the mega filter, I am going to bleed it one more time then leave it alone and see how far I can go before there are any issues, (if any).

Lone Eagle
08-06-2003, 18:55
SS396, Your engine was actually 402 CID before you bored it. 402 didn't sound cool and everyone else had a 400. Later! Lone Eagle

SS396
08-06-2003, 21:32
Lone Eagle,

I am no expert, but the 402 was introduced in 1970. You are right, it is an overbored 396 with a 4.126 bore, the pre-70 396 had a 4.094 bore as mine did (at least at the bottom of the bores). Chevy finally changed the vehicle's name plate and parts books in 1972. 1972 was the end of the 396/402.

Anything prior to 1970 is a 396, I am fortunate to have a numbers matching original engine.

Sorry to be off topic.

Lone Eagle
08-07-2003, 15:17
I stand corrected. The only one I had was a 70. Back in the late 60s & early 70s I was in the Brake/Alignment/Tire business. The best part of my job was test driving the cars I aligned. I drove about ever muscle car that came out before 1973 including a 435 HP Vette. I drove several 66-67 SS396 including a 375 horse. May have been 365. That was awhile ago. Later! Lone Eagle :D :D :D

Lone Eagle
08-07-2003, 16:35
Hoot, I have been thinking of putting a rubber spacer between the filter and bracket even though the filter feels smooth to the touch with the engine running. Do you recommend fuel sampling? Later! Lone Eagle

hoot
08-07-2003, 18:29
Originally posted by Lone Eagle:
Hoot, I have been thinking of putting a rubber spacer between the filter and bracket even though the filter feels smooth to the touch with the engine running. Do you recommend fuel sampling? Later! Lone Eagle I don't think I would start playing with vibration isolation. Your idea is good for convenience but if I was you I would move it off the motor.

Fuel sampling.... why not. The more data we get, the better. Just make sure you flush everything per instructions. You cannot flush too much.

56Nomad
08-07-2003, 19:41
Hoot,
It gonna be hard to beat the numbers by jbplock with LiftPump/Stanadyne PreFilter,
Mega, OEM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
He wrote: "Got my Fuel Test Results from AV Lube. (Sent Monday, received Friday