PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on By-Pass Oil Filter

Web
07-28-2003, 22:20
I want to add a By-Pass Oil filter to my truck and would appreciate recommendations.

Naturally, I'm looking for the "Sweet spot"...ie best performance,value and easy of installation on a Dmax.

Thanks in advance

Web

tophog
07-28-2003, 22:28
I have the Oil Guard bypass and very happy with install, quality, etc. I wanted the single element so I could continue to use OEM mount with Baldwin filter. Only have about 3K since installed and haven't an analysis done.

jbplock
07-29-2003, 02:37
I also have the OilGuard and am pleased with it. It is a high quality unit and was easy to install (http://community.webshots.com/album/65003591xTSYrR). smile.gif

LanduytG
07-29-2003, 04:48
With the bracket I have you can mount the Amsoil dual filter bypass unit just behind the stock oil filter. It mounts on the frame is very strong and will take about one or less to mount.

Greg

Idle_Chatter
07-29-2003, 06:04
I've been running the Amsoil dual remote (BMK-17) with great success. I frame mounted mine on one of Greg Landuyt's brackets that I modified for centering between the torsion bar and front drive shaft and to fit up higher against the cab floor. Oil analyses at 63,000 miles have been great.

MaxACL
07-29-2003, 14:17
Love the AMSOIL filters. I'd mount a second one if I could!

Mike tongue.gif

chuntag95
07-29-2003, 16:59
Been running the Amsoil with Greg's bracket. Only one problem that I cannot explain. Last Saturday the bypass element came loose and dumped a quart on the driveway. I was the HUGE puddle when backing out and paniced. :eek: It was loose but had been on for about 5000 miles. :confused: I did just finish a trip to KC for about 1200 miles, but I didn't think vibration would do that. I do watch when I back out a little more than before.

Trip
07-31-2003, 06:38
Excuss the lack of knowledge here, but why an oil bypass, what does it do, and what is lacking in the stock configuration to make this mod worth while?

Idle_Chatter
07-31-2003, 07:19
Trip, the bypass filter adds a second, more effective, filter to the oil filtering system - much like the additional filters many people are adding to the fuel system. It puts a remotely mounted filter pair running in parallel, one full flow and one extremely fine bypass cartridge. The system provides no loss in oil flow (important to preserve lubrication) and the bypass filter removes small debris and carbon that a full flow cannot by continually filtering a "bypass" percentage of the oil. Over time, all the oil gets treated by the bypass and contaminants and abrasive soot is greatly reduced. With modern synthetic oils, the most limiting factor in a diesel application is the inevitable buildup of abrasive soot particles. Without the soot, the lubricity and additive pack in synthetics are good for 100,000 miles or more of use. Many fleets and some individuals use bypass oil filtration and oil analyses to determine when to change out the oil for extended use. I use the bypass filtration for keeping my oil clean and ease of filter replacement and still change on a regular interval of 7,500 miles (although I do have my used oil analyzed). I change the full-flow cartridge at every change (or 7,500 miles) and the bypass cartridge every other change (or 15,000 miles - same time that I change my OEM fuel filter).

hd90rider
07-31-2003, 15:35
Trip, I posted this for another member, hope it helps.
Member # 10195

posted July 31, 2003 03:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have been reading this thread on syn. oil. Hope this helps. I have over 235k miles on my 02 D/A I switched to Amsoil after iniatial break-in, recommended by Amsoil,(15k). At that time I installed the by-pass filter system also. Now,at regular OEM oil change(7500 miles) you change the primary filter only & add what oil was lost.When it is time to change all the oil, you change both filters. I have run this oil over 60k got nervous & changed it, sent in a sample. It was "STILL OK" for continued use. What does the motor look like? At 215k or so, had a couple injectors go bad, Chevy service dept.said it looked as clean inside as a new motor.Gonna try for 80k befor changing this time(keep sending in samples though}. If your sample shows up bad Amsoil will call you right away & tell you. If oil is still good report comes in the mail. This truck is towing all sorts of trailers & loaded 70 to 80% of the time. Bill

Web
07-31-2003, 22:59
Seems like people like either the OilGuard or Amsoil units.

Does anyone know if there performances are about the same?

Trip
08-01-2003, 06:14
Idle_Chatter & hd90rider
Thank you very much for the valuable info. I am now "in the know"! I can see that an oil bypass is in my future. That's what great about this forum...people here like to share...again, thanks. smile.gif

a bear
08-01-2003, 09:37
Done a pre and post oil analysis with the Oil Guard filter and saw a significant improvement. Can't say which is better though. Haven't tried the Amsoil element. However' I'm very pleased with the Oil Guard quality and cost of replacement elements.