PDA

View Full Version : Won't start, no dash lights

Chad Mac
09-17-2003, 14:48
Help! For the last 2 weeks, I've had some sort of an ignition problem. I've had to turn the key forward and backward to get the dash lights to come on. It won't start unless the dash lights are on. Otherwise, it just turns over as if it's getting no fuel to start. Once I get the dash lights to come on, starts and runs fine.

Also, just recently it's been dying on me while cruising. I just turn the key back and forth again until the dash lights come on and it starts right back up.

Now, I can't get the dash lights to come on at all and no start. Obviously, I have some kind of ignition/electrical problem. Can someone be specific in telling me how to fix this w/o taking to the dealer. No time/money for the dealer.

Thanks,
Chad Mac

patrick m.
09-17-2003, 14:52
what year? '95 or '96? replace the ignition switch.
somewhat of a common problem mostly 95 models.

Chad Mac
09-17-2003, 14:55
'96 Chevy K3500. Can you give me some more information about the ingition switch. Is this common in my year also?

Thanks,
Chad Mac

Fishnfool
09-17-2003, 21:01
Chad

I had the same exact problem with my 96 K2500 6.5 - it was the ignition switch. It is not the key part of the switch but another assembley buried in the steering column. Had it replaced and no more problems.

One thing I found was that by releasing the tilt wheel lock and slamming the wheel up & down hard thru the tilt range sometimes I could jar the switch into working and the motor would start.

Dave

Chad Mac
09-18-2003, 14:16
Thanks Dave for the info! You used the word "buried" and that kind of scared me. I take it that you meant it was difficult to replace. Did you do it on your own? If so, how long did it take you and how much did the part cost? Also if so, can you give me any helpful hints on the actual removal and install that would be awesome. Thanks again for the input.

Chad Mac

patrick m.
09-18-2003, 17:29
if you have average mechanical skill, you can replace it yourself.
some tools you will need that most people dont have in their tool box at home will be: a set of "torx" sockets, and a set of "inverted torx" sockets.
everything else is just 7mm, 10mm, and the occasional 1/4"
the switch is right behind the key cylinder, and it has a harness that runs down the column to a connector that bolts together.
should not take longer than an hour to an hour and a half.
good luck.

Chad Mac
09-19-2003, 13:35
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get the part tomorrow and tackle it myself. Thanks again everyone!

Chad Mac