PDA

View Full Version : CAT Fuel Filter details??????

D'Max_2_DA_Max
07-29-2003, 05:46
I bought a Perma-Cool fuel filter kit on eBay (looks good and complete) but comments from TDP suggest the filter itself may not be the best. The spin-on filter cartridge contains a water separator with a drain and the spec says that it filters 95% of particles above 2 microns.

Can anyone advise me on the quality of the 95% of particles above 2 microns? :confused:
Is that adequate? :confused:

If not, can someone tell me the dimensions of the CAT filter. I would like to install the Perma-Cool kit as my pre-OEM and if the 95% spec isn't adequate I'd like to use the CAT filter if the dimensions permit. The Perma-Cool filter has 1"-14 Thread and the gasket is 2 7/8" OD and 2 1/2" ID.

Perma-Cool fuel filter link:http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page26.html

Also, is there any functionality that the CAT components provide, i.e., priming, that I should consider that may not be on the Perma-Cool set up? :confused:

Thanks!

dieselburb
07-29-2003, 18:12
Most likely good info about the perma-cool product. However, with that filter head you have a very large variety of filters to choose from, including a cat or baldwin. If you're running this particular mount pre-oem, then opt for something with a large amount of filter media. Baldwin has several filters that will fit this category, but your micron rating should be your next consideration maybe somewhere around the 5-10mic range with oem taking out the rest. Baldwin's BF614 is the 8mic candidate and the BF7587 is the 2mic filter. Check out their website and go to the product guide section for thread and o-ring sizes. Hope this helps.