PDA

View Full Version : block heater not working

JF
01-06-2003, 18:35
Block heater stopped working. Checked plug cord for continuity and found none.

Has anyone had to replace block heater or cord?
Will attempt to trace cord back to block for location.

On my old Cummins, had to replace cord once and heater element one time as well. Easy to get at on six cylinder Cummins.

mdrag
01-06-2003, 23:07
JF,

Browsed through the 2001 Helm manuals, and these are the steps listed for an inoperative coolant heater:

1) Test the engine coolant heater power supply cord for an open or short to ground.
2) If open or short to ground is found, Replace the engine coolant heater power supply cord.
3) If no short to ground, inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the engine coolant heater.
4) Replace the engine coolant heater.

To access the block heater, remove the pass side tire and inner fender. The manual indicates that the cord detaches from the coolant heater, so it should be easy to do.

To R&R the block heater, you have to remove the skid plate, engine protection shield (?), move a tranny line out of the way, and remove the right engine mount :eek:

Sounds a bit more involved than your Cummins. Hope it is just the cord or connector.... Good luck.

Black Dog
01-08-2003, 06:45
Mine had quit working too. When I looked last night, the cord had come unplugged from the heater in the block. I think the tech probably knocked it loose somehow when he changed the injector pump, but I can see how it could fall out on its own, as there is nothing to lock the connector together.

kerry witherspoon
01-08-2003, 20:43
Same as all block heater cord goes bad dosent work,change 10 or fifteen every december.Good block heater cheap cord,or woman who forget to unplug and drag 30 feet extension cord down the street.

JF
01-15-2003, 18:10
Changed the cord today. Block heater now works fine.

Thanks MDRAG for the info. Removed the front clips on inner fender liner and was able to pull out of way, exposing the block heater.