PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for me.

Alli-max
11-05-2003, 17:55
Well, the Dmax kicked over again yesterday. Heavy white smoke and a terrible engine knock. But this time it wasnt the same as the injectors that went out 2 weeks ago. Sounded completely different, and instead of black smoke, it was white. I missed a VERY important meeting as well and am finally going to give up. Now it is REALLY starting to cost me money, nd not just in the dealership department. I am probably going to change forces to the darkside and get a Furd. Found a sweet 01 CC 4X4 here in Dallas and might sign the papers on Friday if all goes well.

But dont worry, I will still come in here from time to time to check out Tomac's numbers and to see how ya'll have been doin'!

For those that are curious, so far in total repairs I am in the neighborhood of about $6500 before this happened. :( I have had a GM vehicle for the last 16 years, and would have got into another one (and just say oh well to this one) if they would have helped me out from the beginning for the head gasket. I know the big 3 are all about the same, but I plan on finding out 1st hand. Funny how you can run a customer off over something like that huh! This wil be my companies FIRST Ford ever in 10 years and ~15 vehicles.

technician
11-05-2003, 18:28
Alli-Max,

I feel your pain....... redface.gif

I waited for what I thought would be a F450/550 butt kicker to emerge from GM. Instead they send us working types a behemoth of a medium duty chassis to drive around in everyday.
So I had to do the unthinkable. After 25 years and I don't even know how many Chevys I had to ...GULP... bye a F..F...F....Ford. :rolleyes:

It's no where near as quiet or smooth riding as my 02 3500 but I will say that #15000 GVW is sweet when loaded and it's a TRUCK.

I still have the other three Chevys so I haven't thrown in the towel yet!! :D

God help me,

Chris

DURA-MAX3
11-05-2003, 22:56
Sorry to hear that, and i hope you have good luck with the ford, we have some 6.0 psd's here at work and they are a piece of crap, broke more than they are running. I work for Halliburton who for many years have had only ford pick ups but we are getting chevy's next year. To many problems with ford is the reason. They don't have anybody at the dealers that can fix the damn things yet... I would get a dodge before a ford...Also my wife works at a ford dealer and i hear a lot of bad stories on the new psd...Just thought you might want to know...Good luck...

Camstyn
11-06-2003, 01:00
The '01 should have the 7.3 so he should be safe. :D

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with GM. I can't blame you for wanting to switch. Best of luck to you!

maxinDixon
11-06-2003, 07:44
The 7.3 after 99.5 has its own problems ranging from idle knock to cackle at 1500 RPM to low fuel rail pressure which should be over 65 psi and yet frd specs list it as 51+-4 (cat lists min 60 and international lists 72psi) and air from the crappy plumbing in the fuel tank especially when the fuel level is less than half. Then there is Frd's attempts to fix the cackle and thus the LL (long lead) injector was born and used in an attempted fix for the problems listed above. It was supposed to put in a larger pre-shot than the standard split shot injector.

I know...been there, done that. I did all the fixes and now I have a great running frd with the 7.3. Being in the market for another truck, I chose not to be a beta tester for the new 6.0L and instead got the Duramax and so far I'm happy at 6300 miles.
Drive that '01 and really listen for that subtle cackle in the 1500-2000 RPM range. It almost sounds like a gasser ping and is usually the result of injector #8 being starved for fuel.

[ 11-12-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: maxinDixon ]

sonofagun
11-06-2003, 12:49
Alli-max,

What a trip you've had. Gotta feel LEMON might fit in there somewhere. Don't be a stranger and good luck on the DARK SIDE. One has as many faults as another but not when you get a stinker.

Regards,
Bob

WillowCreekStable
11-06-2003, 13:18
Sorry to hear it didn

afp
11-06-2003, 17:16
Alli,

There is nothing wrong the Dmax. In fact, it was more trouble free it's first year the the 6.0 PSD. However, you did buy a first year truck. First year vehicles are notorious for having more problems than those produced in later years.

Why don't you look for an '02 or '03 DMax? The performance level of the 7.3 is well under the Dmax, the 6.0 and the Cummins HO. I just can't imagine a guy used to driving a juiced Dmax could be happy with a 7.3. To get the 7.3 up to the level of the Dmax will require lots of mods.

Blaine

Alli-max
11-07-2003, 07:16
Blaine, I am not really that worried about maxing out HP on my truck, I just get a little over stock. As for getting an 02 or 03, sorry, but not the way GM has handled this one. No help to a very loyal customer on an issue thatr started back at ~86,000 miles.

Anyhow, I just wanted to check in quickly, I am about to go by the dealership (GM) here and check on the status of the ol Dmax, and then proceed to hit all the area Furd dealerships. I have found 6 trucks here in the messo-plex that I like (online).

Thanks for the heads up on the cackle.... I forgot about that a few years ago!

BTW Blaine... I will mod it juuuust enough to tear a new you-know-what in Silver Bullet! :D

mackin
11-07-2003, 10:56
http://d21c.com/walpurgis9/happies/faces2/102.gif

Bye Alimax !!!!!!

Mac smile.gif

PS : Fords Suck !!!!! tongue.gif

sonofagun
11-07-2003, 18:11
MAC,

WHERE did you get the smilie????

Far out!

Bob

Alli-max
11-07-2003, 18:55
Originally posted by mackin:
http://d21c.com/walpurgis9/happies/faces2/102.gif

Bye Alimax !!!!!!

Mac smile.gif

PS : Fords Suck !!!!! tongue.gif Sorry slappy... I aint goin' NOWHERE!!!! :D :D

Bought the truck today. 01 PSD CC 4X4 Lariet. 31,000 miles on it. Whats that cackle noise?? tongue.gif

Will get the Dmax outta the shop in about 10 days prolly after the voltage problem, injectors, and AC is fixed. :(

Bobcat698
11-07-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by Alli-max:
QUOTE]Sorry slappy... I aint goin' NOWHERE!!!! :D :D

Bought the truck today. 01 PSD CC 4X4 Lariet. 31,000 miles on it. Whats that cackle noise?? tongue.gif
:( Hey guy if you are joining the FORD camp you gotta spell LARIAT right! :D smile.gif

Garrett

2000 Ford F350 Supercab Long Box PSD 6 Speed XLT 4X4, 3.73 Rear end, BFGOODRICH 265 A/T TA's, 80HP Superchip, AFE Magnum Force Intake, Autometer Pyrometer, ISSPRO boost gauge, Wicked Wheel, Turbo Air Guide, Pre-Pump & In-Tank Mods, Harpooned Tank, HX Crossover Hose,ZOODAD grill (cold air intake), APC Projector Headlights & Clear Corners, Vortex Spray-In Bedliner, Nika twin Stainless steel air horns, AVERAGE MPG so far 14.4 all around...
RED!

1991 Ford F350 Regular Cab Long box 4X4 7.3IDI Diesel, Automatic, 35" BFG's with AR wheels, no lift.. K&N Drop in filter with deleted soup bowl air filter cover
BLACK/SILVER!

Alli-max
11-09-2003, 18:43
Originally posted by Bobcat698:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
:( Hey guy if you are joining the FORD camp you gotta spell LARIAT right! :D smile.gif
[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I am a newbie... :D tongue.gif

drthv8r
11-10-2003, 05:52
Alli-max

I know what you are going through. My 2002 Dura/Ali broke down on me so much on vacation (1400 miles from home) I finally had to trade it in on a 2004 Dura/Ali just so I could get back home. After spending nearly $80,000.00 in two trucks in a little over one year. All I got from GM was a thank you. Needless to say I'm not real happy with GM myself right about now.

Snowplow
11-28-2003, 06:48
Alli-max,
Don't be too hard on the o'l DMAX, you did have a juice on it after all. Maybe all that increase in power finally took its toll on it?

As far as how GM has treated you, welcome to big buisness! The bigger they get the worse they treat you! Ford and Dodge are the same exact way and the Toyotas and Mazdas are even worse!

I was one of the lucky ones. My 2001 Duramax/Allison after two days and 250 miles had to go back to the dealer because of a malf. allison. After the dealer having my truck 5 weeks waiting for an allison (this was back in April of 2001 when allisons were in short supply) I got my truck back.

I was on the phone constantly with chevy cust. service 1-800-222-1020. For my inconvience they gave me a GMPP Custom Extended warr. with $0 deductable. GM did right by me!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to here you had to go over to the dark side would take me an awefull lot to do that. These HD's with Dmax's are with out a doubt have the most durable drivetrain and frame out there, but the rest of the truck could be better made IE: sheetmetal so thin you could dent it by looking at it too hard, especially the bed, the quality of the mexican made switches and sensors etc.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR F**D
Snowplow

tswartos
12-03-2003, 15:00
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE]Sorry slappy... I aint goin' NOWHERE!!!!

Bought the truck today. 01 PSD CC 4X4 Lariet. 31,000 miles on it. Whats that cackle noise??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guy if you are joining the FORD camp you gotta spell LARIAT right!

Garrett

Merceded 300D I-5 Turbo Diesel (best diesel ever manufactured IMHO)
Speaking of spelling...confucious say "those who live in glass house shouldnt throw stones" I believe your german diesel needs a spelling lesson

Scott Duprey
12-04-2003, 07:15
If I have problems with my 2002 dmax/allison this will be my last GM ride.

My next ride will be an FL50, FL60, a millon mile truck. Freightliner claims you will go through 4 or 5 trucks to 1 FL. Lets see the cals. 55k x 4 = $220,000 and a FL costs new about 80K. SAVINGS. I am tired of playing the numbers games with the light duties and I would not mind getting around in a monster when I'd have to drive it.

Heck for what we paid for these trucks we could be riding in a really nice BMW or Mercedes diesel.

I am lucky so far. Not many problems so far. I do all my own service to watch what is going on. I have a vibration that will not go away but it could be tires.

Sorry for all the bad alli-max. Good luck with the f***.

NealM68
12-04-2003, 17:33
Haven't found anything wrong with your ford lately? Better look again. Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Turbo Al
12-05-2003, 12:48
AFP;
I just don't buy the first year of any model are junk. I bought a 1993 and drove the wheels off it for almost 9 years and 180,000 miles (still have it) with no major problems, this was the first year out for the 6.5 -- I seriously doubt you will find many that bought the 94 or 95 that will make that claim.
My 2001 although still a baby with only 27,000 miles on it has had only a few minor problems so far, but I am expecting 200,000 miles out of it. My last tow was up the Coq and it ran flat out (redline) the whole way up -- no problem -- matter of fact it is running better -- guess the carbon is all gone :D

Sorry about your troubles Alli -- how many miles on the truck now?? I went over to Chevy when Ford treated me bad -- I doubt if the big guys will ever learn who really pays the bills and their salaries -- so sad. Last count I have bought $135,000 CDN in Chev's since Ford refused to fix my 89 Pickup.
later Al

Alli-max
12-08-2003, 21:43
hey TA....

The Dmax has 134,000ish miles. Dealer just called me this afternoon and said they have it ready. Will pick it up in dallas this weekend.

As for the Ford... YES a big problem already!! :eek: Tranny...of course! Before I bought it, the previous owner had a valve body or similar go south. Dealer fixed it AND overhauled it (???).

So I am driving along and feels like the TC locks up...back and forth back and forth. Take it to the dealer here, and he takes the tranny apart and sees something installed BACKWARDS. It was a misprint in the original manual for the R100 tranny, but a reprint was made shortly after. Instead of me dragging along for a while, the dealer stepped up and put a new tranny and TC in for me. :D

Mods to come in this slow dog are... 4" TB exhaust, MAC air, 4 position flip chip (custom burn for towing and mileage), pricol gauges, 203F thermostat, tranny cooler, and thats it! I should be able to ALMOST keep up with you boys then!!

I still like seeing what you guys are doing, especially you Tomac! MAN... that beast you have is a MONSTER!

Kennedy
12-09-2003, 06:40
hey TA....

Mods to come in this slow dog are... 4" TB exhaust, MAC air, 4 position flip chip (custom burn for towing and mileage), pricol gauges, 203F thermostat, tranny cooler, and thats it! I should be able to ALMOST keep up with you boys then!!

Dream on... :rolleyes: Sorry to burst your bubble Mark, but the recipe that you spelled out will not put you across 300 RWHP and a std Juice 90 will do 330's.

If you really think a flip chip is the answer :confused: go for it, but that simple Edge Evolution is a super nice performer, and there is no evidence of install on the computer.

Look for a MACHINED end on the downpipe in your search for exhaust...

Alli-max
12-19-2003, 11:42
oh John,

i said ALMOST!!! I know I cant keep up with the Dmax. i just picked it up from the stealership Tuesday for $2583. Getting it ready to sell. I got to 134,000 miles quickly, and I now plan on getting to at least 250,000 a little slower.

NutNbutGMC
12-19-2003, 15:38
Alli, Almost the identical problems. Injectors (three times), fuel pump (twice), AC, Poor service (every time), down more than up.... It's costing me time too....

The General can KMA...

This is my third Duramax in as many years. I'm done as soon as I can find a Ford. Too bad Dodge has no quality in their chasis and body. I like their Cummins engine....

Sorry to see you have had the same problems that I have (at less than 75k on this one). I feel the pain. I have stuck with GMC since 87.

I salute the General with the moon...