PDA

View Full Version : Is reading EGT from one side good enough?

permx11
07-29-2003, 12:38
I am wondering if it would be best to have a EGT probe in each manifold. Can I hook up another SPA EGT probe and hook it up instead of the boost read out. I guess I could put a switch so I could see either I wanted. Can the SPA be set to allow dual EGT readings?

chuntag95
07-29-2003, 13:15
SPA does make a dual EGT gauge that shows 2 readings at once. I think your idea of having a switch to see each side would be better. Find which one runs hotter and leave it there most of the time. I don't think it is required unless you are extremely hard on it or modified to the point no one else has tried it. I think John and Tomac are two of the hardest on their trucks, and I believe both just have a probe in one side.

permx11
07-29-2003, 13:22
I would think it would be better to have an idea of what is going on on each bank of 4 cylinders. I might have to do this.

I was having high EGT readings until yesterday when I installed a external LED for the external alarm, no I am having a hard time getting it over 1200 degrees. Maybe it grounded something etc.

YZF1R
07-29-2003, 18:07
I believe Hewitt makes a 2" twin needle pyro. http://www.hewittindustries.com/pyro.htm

Steve

chevmeister
07-29-2003, 18:14
Has anyone tried to weld a nipple to the downpipe right after the turbo. All 16 of the $115,000 mack trucks ive ever had had a pyro in the pipe 4" from the turbo.

mackin
07-29-2003, 19:25
It is over kill to drill each manifold,minimal difference ...If anything do pre and aft turbo,for dual pyro's .....

Mac :rolleyes:

Amianthus
07-30-2003, 22:12
Or you could buy a truck with only one manifold. HA! tongue.gif

Seriously, mackin is right. There is minimal differance between the two manifolds. If there is a significant differance, the engine will be running roughly and be out of balance (because of fuel imbalance). Just ask anyone who's driven a Dmax with a failed injector.

Hope that helps.

More Power
07-31-2003, 10:35
This question about where to place the pyrometer comes up occasionally. Some question whether monitoring one bank of cylinders is enough, and worry about the possibility of a "hot" bank not being detected.

If you place the pyrometer after the turbo, you'll see an average of all eight cylinders, which will be cooler by 100-300 degrees because of the heat absorbed by the turbocharger (converting heat into mechanical energy). So, you'll not be able to detect a hot bank there either.

If you install a pyrometer in both exhaust manifolds, you'll also need to use calibrated and matched pyrometers/EGT gauges, otherwise the different values you might see won't mean anything.

The only way to detect an individual hot cylinder is to instrument all eight cylinders with eight matched and calibrated pyrometers/EGT gauges.

In the end, most come to the conclusion that just having a pyrometer/EGT gauge anywhere is better than nowhere, and that a pyrometer installed in the exhaust manifold is the best place for a single pyrometer.

MP