PDA

View Full Version : Where is "PTO enable" on Tech 2

c5dura
04-17-2003, 12:18
My dealer is clueless. They are trying to tell me they can't program my duramax for high idle because I don't have a PTO.

Can someone please tell me what screen on the Tech 2 they need to go to look for the "PTO enable" message when pin 71 is at 12V?

Thanks!

mdrag
04-17-2003, 14:06
c5dura,

I recently had my Tech2 program updated (THANKS Kennedy!!!) and have not checked to see if anything has changed. Here is the procedure that I posted in a previous thread:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004536

1) Select the Diagnostics option from the Main menu.
2) Select the Model Year from the Vehicle ID menu.
3) Select the LD Truck, MPV, Incomplete option from the Vehicle ID menu.
4) Select the Powertrain option from the System Selection menu.
5) Select the Engine type from the Vehicle ID menu.
6) Select the Transmission type from the Vehicle ID menu.
7) Select the Special Functions option from the Powertrain menu.
8) Select the PTO options from the Special Functions menu. The Current PTO settings screen will be displayed.
9) Press the Change Options key and then select the desired PTO Operating Mode.
10) Select F1 : Preset PTO Speed Control

Change the necessary parameters:

PTO Fast Idle Option Pre set
PTO Max. Engine Speed 2200* RPM (max 3100)
PTO Stand by Speed 800-850* RPM (max 1300)
PTO Set Speed 1250* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
PTO Resume Speed 1700* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
PTO Max. Engage Speed 1000* RPM
PTO Engine Shutdown No
PTO Engage Relay No
PTO Feedback No

The above *RPM values are guidelines/factory settings. Be careful setting the MAX ENGINE SPEED, When the PTO settings are initially read, the PTO Max. Engine Speed setting may show a value of 6000+ rpm and you don't want it that high for obvious reasons ask Kennedy about that :eek:

I've noticed that when I change RPM settings, they do not take effect until the ignition is cycled on/off. This caused some head scratching...
===========================================

Good luck.

Mike Colville
04-17-2003, 15:21
pick mine up saturday...and of course I need the high idle, do all 03's come w/o the pto enabled??? thanks!

Kennedy
04-18-2003, 07:01
IIRC, you don't need to program anything, UNLESS you want to alter the speeds...

c5dura
04-18-2003, 08:31
Thanks mdrag, just what I was looking for!

I read the linked thread and I've also had my ECM replaced (twice actually). I bet they normally don't bother to set the PTO stuff to "work out of the box" when replacing an ECM.

c5dura

c5dura
04-21-2003, 15:10
Well, the dealer programmed my Set speed to 1200 and Resume to 1800, but it still doesn't work.

When I push Set (twice) the engine revs briefly, then settles back down to idle. Ditto when pressing Resume. It only does this in Park (as expected), so I'm sure my wiring is correct.

So, other than changing the Set and Resume values, do any of the other parameters need to be changed from their defaults? I'm talking about the values for the following:

PTO Max. Engine Speed 2200* RPM (max 3100)
PTO Stand by Speed 800-850* RPM (max 1300)
PTO Max. Engage Speed 1000* RPM

I have no idea what they are currently set at, but if they are at some wacked out values, could that be why my high idle is still not working?

Btw, they wanted to charge me $70 in labor for setting the idle speeds, but I refused to pay, especially in light of it not working. (my main argument being that it would have been programmed for high idle at the factory but when they replaced my EMC, that was no longer the case). So I just drove off the lot since I already had the key.

Short of getting a Tech II myself, I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here. Might just have to give up on high idle as it looks like it just wasn't meant to be on my truck...

C5dura

Minn-kota
04-21-2003, 16:10
I wired in the fast idle on my '03 Saturday and works fine. I also noticed that after pushing the Set button to bring it to 1250 RPM, pushing it again cancels it so maybe you are enabling and disabling it right away by pushing it twice? Just a thought.

mdrag
04-21-2003, 22:18
c5dura,

A few thoughts/questions after seeing your previous post in another thread:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004380

1) Have you tried wiring c1-71 to a SPST switch and a 12V source rather than the parking brake?
2) Are you getting still getting the BATT light? I'm sure you double checked your wiring, but any chance the high idle/aux alt wires are mixed up?
3) Do not depress the brake pedal or it will disable the high idle function.
4) Check your fuses to make sure that one didn't blow during the install.

Good luck.

mdrag

c5dura
04-22-2003, 06:24
mdrag,

1. I haven't tried wiring via a SPST, but will give that a shot (or at least verify that I have a solid 12V when in Park).

2. Yep, still getting the BATT light flash when hitting SET or RESUME. I'm positive that I did not mix up the 2nd Alt and idle wires (each was done during a seperate session as I only had one pin when I started).

3. Haven't been doing that.

4. I will do that.

I was actually able to locate a buddy that has access to a Tech 2, so I'll have that over the weekend to play with. I want to make sure that the "PTO enabled" message on solid when in Park and not flickering.

Thanks!

C5dura

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>