PDA

View Full Version : Got Bit By The Battery Connection Bug

TurboDiverArt
12-14-2003, 13:29
Now I know why the article on improving battery connections is so important. I went out to the store to get some groceries. I go to start the truck and all I get is the clicking of the starter bendix popping out but no cranking. I try a couple of times, even got underneath the truck and whacked on the starter and solenoid with a ratchet a couple of times, no good. I call my father to come and give me a hand. Mind you it

James Schaack
12-14-2003, 15:25
art,

it is an absolute must to have good battery connections. i found out the hard way with my old 6.2 diesel. connections weren't very good/tight and i would have the same problem you had at the grocery store. when you make the battery connection mod, also be sure you have good clean battery connections. scrap off any gunk/corrosion with a wire brush giving the connections good contact. also, after you do the battery "bolt" post modification, give them a quick spray with some type of anti-corosive substance to keep them from rusting or coroding. i gave mine a quick shot of silicon spray lube.

enjoy your cranking power! :D

james

hump
12-14-2003, 18:19
I did the connection upgrade as well after taking my starter off (in a cold parking lot too). Thoroughly cleaned all surfaces, tightened down and coated everything with automotive goop which I hope will prevent further corrosion. The goop covers everything but the bolt heads so I can boost some other GM unfortunate. Looks good and truck cranks better. Any thoughts on the goop, it seals right around the plastic casing of the battery so I can't see any access for moisture or air. Love this site, this tip alone was worth the membership fee. ($26.63 for us Canadians, Good job on Saddam in particular by the way, and Iraq in general. My apologies for our Govt's lack of cajones)

Animal
12-14-2003, 21:03
Originally posted by hump:
(My apologies for our Govt's lack of cajones) Hillary probably has them in her Lockbox.

TurboDiverArt
12-15-2003, 03:45
Originally posted by Animal:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hump:
(My apologies for our Govt's lack of cajones) Hillary probably has them in her Lockbox. </font>[/QUOTE]That's funny stuff!

moondoggie
12-15-2003, 09:35
Good Day!

It's not a bad idea to clean the cable ends at the intake manifold also. I put external tooth lockwashers wherever they didn't already exist. If you do this, the lockwasher goes between the cable terminal & the engine, NOT under the nut or bolthead. The idea is to create a good electrical connection. If you're concerned about the bolt/nut backing out, put another lockwasher under it too.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

damork
12-16-2003, 06:51
I found out about the connections just in time before a long trip. The two Delco 770 CCA batteries looked fine, green indicators said all was well, but setting out overnight when it was below 10F one day cause a very hard start condition.

I immediately started to pull off the cables and one was frozen so tight I destroyed the factory bolt.

Although they were good Delcos, they were not a matched set, and the oldest was over 5 years. I went to Sears and got a pair of the 875CCA gray SUV Diehard series they sell. Polished up the cable connectors and installed the new batteries and so far the engine spins like summertime, even below 10F. Sometimes you don't realize how bad your battery power is until it really gets bad.

I've had good success in the past with Diehards and the passenger side Delco always seemed to have a cracking problem on the + terminal.

TurboDiverArt
12-18-2003, 03:32
I hate Interstate Batteries!

I went to the hardware store, bought my 3/8" course thread 1 1/4" bolts and nuts. I'm all set to make the suggested battery connection modification. Got the cables off and I go to screw in a bolt just to check the thread and what do I find.... Damn thing isn't all that deep. Probably only about 3/8" deep. I can't thread the bolt in all that far. If I did the bolt hear is probably going to stick a good 3/4" out off the battery connection. Guess I'm going back to Sears and buying shorter bolts and we'll try it this weekend....

Art.

rjschoolcraft
12-18-2003, 04:27
I put 1" bolts everywhere but at the passenger side positive post, where the two cables come together. I used a 1.5" bolt at that location.

James Schaack
12-18-2003, 16:12
Art,

most batteries have a shallow bolt hole, not just interstates. some use the 1 1/4" bolts so they have more post to latch onto in the event of using a battery charger or jumper cables. if i remember right, i set mine up like Ron did with one 1" bolts in all locations except for the passanger side double connection.

also, do you have any pics of your grand nationals?? i have always loved those cars. I would kill to own a GNX!!!

good luck w/ your connections.

james

P.S. I pulled out a stuck ford powerstroke this afternoon, man did i give him some sh*t :D

TurboDiverArt
12-24-2003, 03:29
Originally posted by James Schaack:
Art,

&gt;&gt;SNIP&gt;&gt;

also, do you have any pics of your grand nationals?? i have always loved those cars. I would kill to own a GNX!!!

good luck w/ your connections.

james

P.S. I pulled out a stuck ford powerstroke this afternoon, man did i give him some sh*t :D Hi James,

Yup, always have pictures of the GN. I just got some new ones but the resolution is too high, I'm lazy and haven't cut them down. The following link will point you a Yahoo photo page that has some pictures.

FUR Pictures (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/turbodiverart/album?.dir=/My+Photos)

Enjoy!
Art.