PDA

View Full Version : Stock: a lot of power

Very Old Dog
07-29-2003, 17:22
For a stock diesel out of the factory, the Duramax has a lot of power and I have about 5500 miles on it after 3 months. My last Dodge Cummins was 3500 HO 6 speed which I heavily modified. I added a Van Aakins Box, Performance Systems turbo boost module, Bosch 275 injectors, 4 inch stainless steel exhaust from the manifold out the door, guages and a South Bend Clutch good for a 1000lbs of torque. It was dyno'd at 350HP rear wheels and 750 foot lbs. of torque. Needless to say it was a hauling beast. Mileage was pretty good as well with 18 in the city and 21 on the highway. Between the two, the Duramax with the Allison transmission is a much quicker vehicle. Hauling wise, the Duramax takes care of business with my trailer which is a light weight dry at 3600lbs but we must have it with our belongings and some water at 4600lbs. No trouble whatsoever. The Cummins hauled a 14000lb a 35ft Carriage across the Southwest and cruised up Raton Pass for those that know it at 65 mph in cruise control. Mileage in the mountains was about 11 mph and straight aways 12 to 13. How is your experiences with heavy loads. Anybody hauling 14000lb fivers up big passes and what are your results? But I'll tell you this, for a stock truck, without adding a juice box or one of the other items, this truck is tough. In order to get the Dodge to ride as smooth and handle the loads like the Duramax, I had to invest over $3,000 to put on the items listed above. I can't imagine what the guys are getting from the Duramax with the "Juice" or one of the others. If I have the chance, I would like to sit in the passenger seat to see the difference up close. I would imagine that you have to have guages if you add one of these. But what a terrific truck the Duramax provides.

a64pilot
07-30-2003, 07:37
Dog,
Stock it's great, with TST's powermax or the Juice it get's fantastic. With the TST you get Pyro and boost gauge and box for $850.

tswartos
07-30-2003, 16:29
check out this thread for others that have pulled raton pass

raton pass (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006344)