PDA

View Full Version : Banks Question

John3
11-07-2005, 13:57
Wondering if anyone has installed the Banks monster, cat back system. Can this be done without chopping the factory system apart?? Would it be best to hit the local muffler shop, or give it a try on jackstands??

Thanks,
John

xwing
11-07-2005, 14:26
I installed the Banks Monster Exhaust on my 2001 GMC 2500HD D/A ExtendedCab Longbed.
It was done in my driveway with regular tools, no cutting necessary.
I slid everything out fine, but to get the rearmost muffler/tailpipe out I had to jack up the passengerside so the passengerside rear wheel was kinda up (don't remember if it was quite off the ground) to get enough clearance to pull the pipe/muffler out; I think it slid out forward direction. I got at the Vclamp on the turbo downpipe with a really long extension on a 1/4" wratchet, from the passengerside wheelwell looking down thru the inner wheelwell area. The VClamp needed a little pestering to loosen it up/release the old exhaust.
It sounds really nice, I wanted basically the quietest 4" exhaust and this is hardly noticeable at idle/highway; at cruise it has barely notable deeper sound; full throttle, it still is mostly quiet but will make some mild/moderate cool deep angry noises, I consider the overall sound perfect.

ps: if anyone wants the stock stainless exhaust/muffler, I have those still smile.gif
pps oops noticed the "CatBack" aspect of your question; first, condolences on the catalyst LOL; but means you don't have to worry about VBand clamp either, I think. Good luck!