PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New D-Max Owner / ???

Bigwheel
01-06-2003, 23:29
Just wanted to say hello, I joined back in Sept. after getting a new 2002 Chev D-Max/Allison, C-Cab,s/b. Currently have 4500 miles on it, only had one glitch, going down highway at 75 in passing lane and hesitated and made a wierd sound for a second and blew a puff of smoke out, stopped at fuel station and put in some fuel treatment, been running good ever since, but I'm not to happy of hearing injector troubles, misc troubles with some peoples D-Maxes. I'm just a regular user with some pulling here and there, I bought this truck for a heavy duty lasting longer, diesel for fuel economy and lasting longer, I have had NO support from my dealer and I'm lucky to have a group of people like your'selves to talk things over with, seems I've got a-lot of more info here than my dealership. Thanks I'll post a link to my new ride.

Chad, Mpls, MN

Oongawah
01-06-2003, 23:53
Welcome Chad,

I'm sort of a newbie myself, but as far as that problem you experienced it sounds like bad fuel to me. I filled up out of town one time that made my truck smoke a lot, and shutter. Hasn't happened since I've been getting fuel at the normal stops now. Hope that helps, Chuck.

Bigwheel
01-07-2003, 00:38
Thanks Chuck,
yea, from what I hear, it's fuel treatments, and then Amsoil. Here's a link to my pics.
http://www.pbase.com/bigwheel/new_dmax

SoMnDMAX
01-07-2003, 04:16
Welcome to the forum. Did you buy the truck from Suburban Chev in Eden Prairie (Building in the pics looks like Sub Chev)? I've always been told their service dept. was fairly good. Anyways, there's a few other Twin Cities area members here, maybe they can help you out with the quest for a competent service department.

Remember, these things are a mechanical device. Sometimes there will be small glitches or "brain farts"... Keep in mind you've got 4+ years and 95,500 miles of warranty left on the engine. Just drive the wheels off of it, and enjoy your investment.

Bigwheel
01-07-2003, 18:39
SoMnDMAX
Yes, I did get my D-Max at Suburban Chev in Eden Prairie.
After I got my truck, I took it on a few trips up northern Minn, I've had some Ticking noise from the engine area, one time when I was going out of town, blasing 75 down 94, the engine hesitated, made a wierd noise, and blew some smoke out the back. I immed pulled over at the monticello exit, checked it over, was fine, I then put in some new fuel with PS Diesel Fuel Supplement. I drove over 200 miles, and it purred perfect after that. I still hear some Ticking while it idles, the Not so informed Tech at Suburban could not answer me, after the Third time going there and looking for some answers. I guess I have to explain to these people that this is not a marathon where we bring in our new rigs 20 times before we finially take care of something. It runs great, no probs what so ever, just some little stuff. Hows your rig working 4 you? Thanks.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: Bigwheel ]</p>

txguppy
01-07-2003, 19:08
Hey BigWheel, welcome and continue reading this forum. You'll find out all sorts of stuff the stealers don't know. Check out my thread

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004846

It's full of LOTS of encouragement. I don't want to leave you "hanging Chad" but ........ :D :D

txguppy

BigLakeDMAX
01-07-2003, 20:45
Welcome, Chad.

I've run into some dealer issues myself. I think I'll be taking it to ITEN in Brooklyn Center next time I need service. They're the GM Truck service center for our area and I've heard good things about their service dept. - they've sold alot of dmax's. Also, I've noticed that alot of dealers get parts from ITEN's parts department so they're well stocked which would save time over sending a runner to another dealer for the part you need.

Also, if you haven't read about the Duramax Tick, there are several threads on it here, and even an audio sound file. If you search for "tick" - that might be the tick you're hearing.

Don

Bigwheel
01-07-2003, 21:29
BigLake:
Yea, Iten is where I will be tomorrow, I talked with the service manager at Iten, and he talked to me a bit about the guy they have working on the D-max's, and his Tech has worked with the Tick noise issue's. I'm looking at switching oil to Amsoil 15w-40 next week, any warrentee issues to worry about?, and how's your truck been for you?. Thx.
Chad

BigLakeDMAX
01-08-2003, 12:48
Let me know how Iten works out. My 02 has already been in for more repair than my 97 6.5l was in 6 years/140k miles. The latest was for a failed water pump at 6900 miles and then two days after I got it back from that repair, the timing gear cover suddenly cracked and sprayed oil all over. Had to order that part direct from Isuzu as they just don't fail - just got it back yesterday after a week in the shop. Dealer claimed it was not related to the pump r&r, but the pump mounts in front of and to the timing cover so...

And, my air cleaner housing cracked, and there's a noise that sounds like a slight miss that they claim is the tick (2 visits). But, I have the tick too and that's a different sound. I'll be taking it to Iten for the missing sound as soon as I make sure it goes more than a couple of days past the last repair.

Don

Bigwheel
01-09-2003, 18:49
Big Lake:
I just got back from Iten Chev thursday eve, and they found nothing wrong. I had them change my fuel filter since it was there, and I can do more research before I attempt it.
The guy at Iten, was pretty helpful. I talked with him for about 20 minutes on Wed with the sounds and a few probs with the truck, and I'm getting pretty much a " look at the customer and talk them through it " kind of a look, The tech went through my truck, found no codes, some Ticking, and it does not say anything about a software upgrade that I have heard about, when my truck is cold it seems to shift wierd, like a lunge or surge into 2nd. After I got it back it does not surge or make a wierd cold shift noise.

I don't know what to think or say, when I get on this page and read, I loose a nights sleep.
When I goto the dealer, everything is OK. I don't know what to think at this point. I felt that Iten is a great place to go, they took me in the next day, I'll use them again for future issues for sure, in regards to the truth, only God knows. I'm bummed to hear whats happened to yours. I told the Shop at Iten to tell me whats going on before I turn this DMAX into a Cummins...... Thanks....
Chad

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Bigwheel ]</p>