PDA

View Full Version : Aviation JP-5 fuel

chuck1008
11-08-2005, 13:32
I have unlimited access to aviation JP-5 fuel. What is the down side of using this fuel. Already consumed about 70 gallons with no effect. I do mix the JP-5 50/50 with diesl #2 plus add a quart of oil Any suggestions?

Chuck Davis
2002 2500 Duramax
50,000 miles

markrinker
11-08-2005, 15:44
We used to do the same in our John Deere diesels to promote easier winter starts and less fuel gelling. Never had any issues that I know of.

How much is it per gallon?

DonG
11-08-2005, 21:53
JP-5 is lighter than #2 Diesel. This lighter oil is usually blended in the Northern states in the winter. Usually about 20-40% depending on how cold it gets. The biggest downside is the loss of mileage per gallon since the lighter oil does not have the same BTU's per gallon.

I do not understand adding the quart of oil. Oil is sigficantly heavier than diesel. It is more likely to gum up and leave residue. Oil also has plenty of additives that are not good to burn. It would stop adding the quart of oil.

Don

markrinker
11-09-2005, 04:25
If you were to add any additional heavy oil to the mix, I'd add a quality synthetic 2-cycle oil, which is designed both to burn and to leave behind lubrication for engine internal parts.

chuck1008
11-09-2005, 11:29
Appreciate the response. The JP-5 fuel is free. I work in the helicopter industry here in the Gulf of Mexico hauling personnel out to the drilling / production rigs. Whenever maintenance has to be done to the fuel cells, we defuel the A/C and dispose of the fuel. As for adding the quart of oil I'm not quite sure where that started. Probably from a diesel mechanic offshore. Will stop using it as a mix.

rjschoolcraft
11-09-2005, 11:49
Chuck,

You wouldn't happen to work for PHI, would you?

markrinker
11-09-2005, 14:11
Free is good. If you have an extra 1000 gallons or so, I'll send someone down to truck it back here to the frigid northlands. tongue.gif

chuck1008
11-10-2005, 05:50
Air Logistics - 33 years

rjschoolcraft
11-10-2005, 06:26
Air Logistics...didn't think of them.

I spent seven years as the lead mechanical engineer on the Allison Model 250 engine. I was heavily involved in the C40 and C47 development. Air Log bought some of the early Bell 407's with the C47 (after PHI who had the initial launch order).

That was a time when Allison quality was particularly bad (may still be, I left there). I nearly lost my job over an incident involving an Air Log 407 (I think it was a 407, either that or a 206L) that was AOG on a rig in the gulf for metal on the mag plug in 1997. Turned out to be a torquemeter gear problem that I had documented and warned management about six months earlier when the gears were manufactured. I was overruled and the parts where sold... Your ship got one of them. When the parts were returned, I immediately recognized the problem and challenged management on their poor decision...with my documentation from the past. They didn't like that very well.

As I recall, the engine was replaced on the rig. It had to be removed from the aircraft in modules and reinstalled in modules due to the limited work space on the platform. It was an ugly situation and Air Log was rightfully indignant.

That incident on top of four other similar situations is why I left the company in September of 1998.