PDA

View Full Version : more questions

Tim Richardson
07-30-2003, 08:26
Well, as promised :D , after about a week, I have some more questions.

1. Oil drain plug - It looks like it is at an angle facing the back of the truck. If this is correct, it doesn't look like it is the lowest part of the oil pan. Am I missing something here?

2. I will be going on a small trip this weekend. I should have about 600 miles on the truck by then. Should it be ok to just set the cruise and forget about it, or should I still be concerned with varying my speeds for break-in. (no towing, just 2 passengers and a dog).

Thanks

Tim

sdaver
07-30-2003, 09:39
set it on 96 mph thats just under the factory limiter :D and let it rip :D dave

sonofagun
07-30-2003, 09:51
Tim,

The oil plug is a bit high, consider getting the Allison Deep pan and pickup. More fluid and, perhaps, better cooling. Mag-hytec is coming up with a deep pan cover for the Allison in a month or so. It should be pretty sweet.

I have always broken my vehicles in for the first 1000 miles, even a porsche I once owned and they swore it was absolutely unnecessary. I vary the speed and am easy on the go and stop pedal. As the miles build I stay at the same speeds longer before changing. I also increase the top speed at which I drive as time and miles add up. At 1000 miles I let 'er rip and enjoy. I can't see how being careful as new parts set up and mate together can ever cause any damage. It may keep me in my ride longer with less trouble. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Enjoy your trip.

Bob

hoot
07-30-2003, 09:56
The Allison deep pan is only about $45. I can imagine the Mag cover coming in around $300.

Not sure if it's worth the price difference although they make a great product.

Tim Richardson
07-30-2003, 10:08
I was referring to the drain plug for the engine oil, not the transmission. It seems like where the plug is located, it would not allow all of the oil to drain out. Am I possible looking at the wrong plug?

Thanks

Tim

Steamboat
07-30-2003, 10:15
I'm a newbi on the board but have lurked for a while but to answer the 1st question, the oil drain plug is located at the rear of the pan at an angle (5/8" socket or box wrench to break loose) and there appears to be a slight lip in front of the drain plug. I have read the advice of others on this board to put the front tires on ramps or elevate in some manner to ensure most/all of the oil drains. I just finished my first oil change and had the truck parked on an incline (front elevated) and then poured an extra quart of oil through the system to flush out the pan. Warnings, when you remove the oil filter a fair amount of oil will exit the pick-up tube? at a decent velocity and if the oil bucket isn't positioned correctly, it will make a mess.