PDA

View Full Version : Q's about boxes and EGT's

Dmaxin
07-30-2003, 09:48
You guys that have run differant boxes on your truck, did one box have lower EGTs than another on a simalar(sp?) power setting? Going to be getting my gauges soon and am trying to decide which box I need. :eek: :D

jesshd
07-30-2003, 10:38
I have run the Predator and the Juice. The Juice has similar power to the Predator but lower EGT. The Predator will shoot to over 1400 F on the highest setting when floored. The Juice will hang right around 12-1300 on the highest settings. I have towed with the Predator on the 40 hp tune and it will run over 1300 when pulling a long hill. I have not towed with the Juice yet, so I cannot comment.

Jess

orange2
07-30-2003, 13:04
Ouch, I better get gauges. 1400 on the 100hp setting!!!? I am back on the 85 and it feels like a slug. Pulling a trailor to sturgis, a 16ft enclosed with 2 bikes, but the trailor is heavy for its size, what setting should I use? Don't say stock. I was going to run it on the 85 and just be careful, but it sounds like I better go to the 60 hp setting. I am going to go to the cat dealer and get some of that goop you put on your manifolds and it tells you how hot you are running by which goop melts off. Pretty unscientific but I'll never have gauges in time for the trip.

sdaver
07-30-2003, 13:40
thejuicethejuicethejuice.......had or have had them all.......predator is hotter for less power and so is the tst.......orange Im leaving in about two hours for sturgis standard juice on level 3(75hp) and a heathly shot of CH3CH2CH3. Im staying in deadwood hope to be there late thurs or early friday

king D
07-30-2003, 15:13
as far a fuel mileage and egts no chip is better than a van aaken.i am not even gonna open the hp arguement up.but will towing the va usually run about 100 to 150 cooler than a juice on same setting and gets an extra mile to the gallon

Dmaxin
07-30-2003, 15:53
.i am not even gonna open the hp arguement up. Dont want to start anything but does it not have the power the juice does?

king D
07-30-2003, 16:07
Originally posted by Dmaxin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> .i am not even gonna open the hp arguement up. Dont want to start anything but does it not have the power the juice does? </font>[/QUOTE]there is like a 75 130 program for theva thta speed wise 0-60 and 8th mile times ore equal to a juice i have never been on a dyno so i use speed/time as a measure of performance.many have said in dyno runs that the va doesnt produce the power of the juice.i have both and still say for mileage and temps the va is hard to beat

jesshd
07-30-2003, 16:24
Originally posted by orange2:
Ouch, I better get gauges. 1400 on the 100hp setting!!!? I am back on the 85 and it feels like a slug. Pulling a trailor to sturgis, a 16ft enclosed with 2 bikes, but the trailor is heavy for its size, what setting should I use? Don't say stock. I was going to run it on the 85 and just be careful, but it sounds like I better go to the 60 hp setting. I am going to go to the cat dealer and get some of that goop you put on your manifolds and it tells you how hot you are running by which goop melts off. Pretty unscientific but I'll never have gauges in time for the trip. I would not run anything more than the 40 hp tune until you get the gauges in.

Jess

imported_
07-30-2003, 16:30
I have pegged my gauge with the hot juice on level 4, 1500* :eek:

It cruises at around 750*

Idles at 300*

orange2
07-30-2003, 18:19
Na, it doesn't smoke in the 40 hp level, I have to be able to smoke some bikers on the way out. I doubt I will even have a 5000lb load so I think 60 or 85 will be fine, sd is flat. :D sdaver, we are leaving suday but won't be out till monday, we are staying at the white house in lead. I would like to leave earlier but none of the other guys want to. We are staying till thursday as of right now. Why does the predator make so muchh more heat than the juice? Too much fuel and not enuff timing? How much does chopping the muffler help, I could do that quick.

RapidMax
07-30-2003, 19:26
Orange2:

I hope you won't take this _too_ personally, but I wouldn't go around advertising the fact that you're trailering your bikes to the ralley. LOL.

BTW -- be careful driving through Rapid.

In general: Would you all mind educating be a bit on the gauge issue -- reading through the docs, it's my understanding that the Juice backs off if it senses things are running too hot -- if that's the case, are gauges really that critical -- I know you can never be too safe, but is one really likely to blow up the engine without them?

orange2
07-30-2003, 19:34
Hey Rapid, what are you getting at? I don't care who knows I am trailoring out, many others do it in case you haven't noticed. Juice does not sense temp, it sences tranny slip. If you are saying I am a wimp for not riding, well, I don't care, if you are saying it cause of theft, I still don't care, I got insurance.

RapidMax
07-30-2003, 19:56
Orange2:

I don't even have a bike, so no, I wasn't calling you a wimp.

I was, however, jokingly referring to the way trailer bikers are often teased. I figured you'd know what I was talking about and realize it was just a joke.

I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

But seriously, as far as gauges go -- do you think it's crazy to run the juice without gauges. JK says not to run the Hot version without them. I'd really hate to add anything to my truck that would stand out to a service manager -- of course, this is all assuming I'd even put Juice in...

orange2
07-30-2003, 20:15
Rapid, I thought that is what you meant, but haven't seen many posts from you so wasn't sure what you where getting at. I am a wimp for not riding, but my truck is so much more comfy to drive, plus I got a friend from the twin cities who doesn't want to ride all the way so we are trailering. South Dakota is a boring drive, and when I get bored i raise hell and speed, I don't like to live like a hillbilly either, so ware staying at a nice comfy hotel.

DMAX Daddy
07-30-2003, 20:24
Rapid,
Having gauges if you tow a lot isnt that big a stretch. Especially the Exhaust Pyro if you tow taller mountains. Then truck can do 65, but without gauges you would not know if it was hurting itself or not.

Kennedy
07-30-2003, 20:26
Orange,

Look up Sdaver as he/I will be in Deadwood on Friday. We'll show you some EGT. :eek:

Sdaver had his cell number in the Allison thread...

We're leaving tomorrow! :D

RapidMax
07-30-2003, 21:15
Well, _if_ I had a Harley I'd ride it to the Rally -- but that's 'cuz it would only take me about 20 minutes. Otherwise, I'm not much for roughing it either.

There's enough DMaxers going to the Rally that there oughta be some chance to meet up and have a mini Rally for Diesel heads.

Maybe once I get all the bugs worked out of my truck I'll break down and get some gauges -- you guys are making me kinda nervous.

orange2
07-30-2003, 21:54
Kennedy, are you guys running across I-90? I live about 15 miles from I-90 in northern Iowa. You sold my dad a edge for his dodge a couple weeks ago, well he had to take it off, his tranny was slipping pulling his 32 ft camper up to devils lake. He is getting his tranny done when they get home, he loves the edge. I'll look up the # for sdaver, mine is 515-538-0440. I want to race your bike with my rod. :D

Kennedy
07-30-2003, 22:05
Looks like across 90 is the way we are going too. Not sure when we will get out of here. I'm trailering out too. This is what I'll look like except that I won't be wearing a jacket, and the the front wheel is now a Hallcraft's 80 spoke radial laced...

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photogal/images/HARLEY.jpg

My cell is same as shop except the center 3 digits are 573.

Always a Tech 2 and half dozen power modules stashed on board. If you talk sweet, I'll let you try my Gtech ;)

Amianthus
07-30-2003, 22:27
GAUGES! GAUGES! GAUGES! YOU NEED THEM!

If you modify your truck you need to have gauges. That is all there is to it. There are EGT considerations, boost considerations (lifting the head and blowing the head gasket or pushing your turbo too hard so that it is out of it's efficiency map to name a couple), and tranny temp considerations.

In a stock truck, gauges are nice to have and IMHO, should come from the factory with them. But on a modified truck, it's a necessity. Period! Otherwise how would you know if you are getting ready to burn a hole in your piston or not?

a64pilot
07-31-2003, 06:45
I'm pretty sure only the TST backs off if things get too hot. (It has built in gauges) I don't believe there is any way the Juice or any other performance enhancement can possibly know what the EGT is without a pyrometer. Trust John and Amianthus, get the gauges or stay stock, or you may be sorry.

Lone Eagle
08-02-2003, 21:22
I just got back from a trip to Glacier Park area. There are some serious hills between Northern Utah and there. I usually tow at 65-68 on cruise. I have the Juice set on #2. (60 HP) Several times I forced a downshift to keep the EGT below 1300. Later! Lone Eagle ;)