PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Injection Pump

DMAXMO
04-18-2003, 06:11
I have been a member of TDP for several months and enjoy reading the numerous informative posts on this forum. I have gained much knowledge from the folks that bolster this site. I have very much enjoyed reading the forum and spend some time here nearly every day, enough that the better half has commented "are you reading that stuff again?" Well, even though she hold a mechanical engineering degree, she just doesn't quite get it. Now to my question:
I recently noticed that my 2002 D/A was developing a strong odor of raw fuel from the engine area. I dropped the truck off at the dealer where they diagnosed a leaking injection pump. A new pump was ordered and the pump was replaced. The leak has been corrected but the truck is not as responsive to the accelerator as it was prior to the pump change. It seems to take longer to accelerate and generally seems slower off the line at a stoplight. Could the dealer have something adjusted incorrectly? Any ideas?

dmaxalliTech
04-18-2003, 10:39
The pump is pretty straightforward replacement, there is no adjustments to make, no timing to set like 6.5TD. I suspect that its possible the new pump does not make the pressures at the same time as the old on does? JK, thoughts?

britannic
04-18-2003, 10:51
Does the Duramax have an adaptive throttle control system, similar to the transmission shift learning system? If so, then the dealer may have reset the computer during installation and it needs to adapt the throttle to your driving style.

a64pilot
04-18-2003, 13:18
Adaptive throttle huh? Maybe that explains why it seems to go to WOT every time I get in.

dmaxalliTech
04-18-2003, 17:48
there is no idle learn procedure as on the allison

DMAXMO
04-21-2003, 18:52
dmaxalliTech
You may be on to something because the truck drives totally different. It is less responsive off the line but isn't nearly as jerky as before. The idle is also smoother. I haven't fully decided yet. I am anxious to put it under a big load.

DMAXMO
05-06-2003, 17:07
After driving the truck several miles it seems to have regained its missing power. It is as quick off the line as before. I really don't understand why driving a few miles would make a difference. The fuel tank was nearly full when I picked the truck up from the dealer and it began to run better before I had to re-fuel. Perhaps the adaptive learning in the tranny was the culprit?
Thanks to all who replied!
Darrell

dabmdb
03-16-2004, 11:43
Just got my 03 Duramax back from dealer who replaced the injector pump. I also felt like it was not running like it did before. Today my Hypertech programmer gave me a DTC code, U1026, which seems to mean a loss of communication with the automatic transmission control system. So, I guess it's off to the dealer again for who knows what. I have to admit that my excitement for the Duramax is starting to fade. Through my business, I've run almost all the different diesels over the years (except Dodge) and they all have had their problems or quirks, small and some not so small. But never have they started to act up so soon, I'm at around 33K in the mileage. Before she turned 30K, I would have reccommended the Duramax to anyone, I was that sure. Now, I couldn't honestly say go for it (although the 04's do have electronic injectors).
Don

Goodpliers
05-07-2004, 09:24
I too had a fuel leak. Driving on the interstate I looked back and BIG TIME SMOKE behind me. I was slowing for an interchange anyway and pulled into a truck stop. Raw Fuel was running off the back of the engine. Before I could get back in and shut down the engine the fuel was out to the front tires on the ground. Yes it would still run.

I was 330 miles from home and found a local Chev. garage who got me towed in promptly. They said the Injector pump was leaking. The pump had to come from the factory and I would need to leave it there for a week or so. (Later found out that the pump had blown two(2) plugs out of it.)

As work progressed they called and said the fuel was contaminated and they felt they should drop the fuel tank and clean it. Next day they called and said they could not clean the in-tank sensor and it would need replaced, also the fuel cooler could not be cleaned and it needed replaced.

9 days after the incident, they said it was ready to pick up. Picked up the truck and paid them just under $1100.00 for MY part of the repairs. $100.00 was warranty deductable cause it has 43,000 miles on it and $100.00 was changing the Transmission oil.

Also I picked up the BROKEN Fuel Gauge, Oil Cooler, and a container of the stuff they took out of the tank, it was broken chips both steel and brass out of the fuel pump.

Now the thing that really ticks me off is the GM policy that if there is contaminated fuel, NOTHING RELATED TO THE CONTAMINATED FUEL IS COVERED - REGARDLESS OF THE SOURCE OF THE CONTAMINATION, thus the $386.00 sensor, the Cooler $150.00, and R&R on the tank $200.00, to clean it, nor was the 25 gallon of fuel they had to dump was covered. (I didn't know that fuel could not be filtered and put back in?????)

By the way, the engine is underpowered SINCE the repair BUT fuel milage jumped up higher than I have ever seen it while pulling a loaded trailer through the same aria.

I didn't even try to get reimbersed for the grocery bag I got to put over my head while riding home in a F..d.

Anyone have any ideas on this subject.

Regards
Goodpliers (Paul)

Boonbltz
05-07-2004, 13:49
same thing happened to me a year or two ago mech forgot to tighten all the hoses leading to and from the intercooler, he (service writer) at first thought someone may have left rag or towel in intake, just my two cents not to affend the mechs on this page we are all human I am a gearhead myself and seem to sometimes have to do things twice.