PDA

View Full Version : 03/ turning off headlites

fivenite
04-18-2003, 15:09
does any one know how to turn off the headlites on 03 dmax when the engine is running at dark
while parked

2003 GMC Dmax c/c s/b white

Husker Fan
04-18-2003, 15:14
Rotate the light switch counter clockwise to the 9 O'Clock position. It is spring loaded, and will flip back to the 'Automatic' position, but the lights should not come back on. To turn them back on, rotate to either the parking or headlight position, then back to the auto position and they will turn on.

fivenite
04-18-2003, 15:28
Mine does not work when I do that, with key on
or off

2003 GMC Dmax c/c s/b white

Minn-kota
04-18-2003, 15:51
It wouldn't be because you are from Canada would it? Headlights on all the time law?

Personally I'd like to remove that automatic feature. :mad: I've done it in my '99 and '02, but this is a little different. If the wires from the sensor land in the same place on the BCM, then it's a done deal. I haven't persued this yet but may have to.

Burner
04-18-2003, 22:18
If the lights bother you, press the parking brake "before" you turn the key on. I think that you can actualy just leave the parking brake on, just one click, and still drive.

Burner-------> :D

YZF1R
04-19-2003, 07:55
Burner, I'm embarrased to say I did that once by mistake. At 15mph the chime started to go off just like the manual said it would. :rolleyes:

Steve

On edit: Maybe it was 3 or 5 mph. The doors lock at 15mph. So many electronics!

[ 04-19-2003: Message edited by: YZF1R ]</p>

HD-Nate
04-19-2003, 10:36
Rotate the light switch counter clockwise to the 9 O'Clock position. It is spring loaded, and will flip back to the 'Automatic' position, but the lights should not come back on. To turn them back on, rotate to either the parking or headlight position, then back to the auto position and they will turn on.

Yep, thats what I do, and it works. I can understand why you would want this when parked.

But for the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would want to bypass this safety feature while on the road :confused:

Are these the same people who do not wear seat belts or pull the fuse on thier anti-locks???

Minn-kota
04-19-2003, 11:00
-----------------
But for the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would want to bypass this safety feature while on the road
-----------------

I bypass this because it is aggrevating when your headlights go on and off as you drive through town during the low light periods of the day and people think you are flashing them.

I bypass this because when I pull my boat up and down the boat ramp I don't want to blind people that are trying to back down beside me.

I bypass this because when ice fishing and when I want to warm up my truck I don't want to fill somebody's ice house up with my headlights.

I bypass this because when out hunting I don't want to drive around with my headlights blaring across the fields while driving to my spot.

I have plenty of reasons. The biggest one is that I am smart enough to know when to turn them on and not have to depend on some computer to do it for me. It's devices like these that make people more stupid because they don't have to think and use common sense.

I thought they had fixed this issue in the '03s because they offered an Auto switch. But, it still will override your manual selection if you turn your parking lights on. It also has to be reset everytime you stop/restart the truck. That's a pain too.

That's my opinion on the lights. Call me stubborn or whatever, but I think I know when to turn my lights on. I also don't need the government to tell me when to wear my seatbelt, but that's another issue!

BTW for those who don't like their auto headlights, here's a procedure I wrote up:

http://home.mchsi.com/~d.lang/Auto_Headlights_Disable.htm

[ 04-19-2003: Message edited by: Minn-kota ]</p>

HD-Nate
04-19-2003, 11:13
-------------------------------------------------
I bypass this because when ice fishing and when I want to warm up my truck I don't want to fill somebody's ice house up with my headlights.

I bypass this because when out hunting I don't want to drive around with my headlights blaring across the fields while driving to my spot.

I have plenty of reasons. The biggest one is that I am smart enough to know when to turn them on and not have to depend on some computer to do it for me. It's devices like these that make people more stupid because they don't have to think and use common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

OH....OK....my mistake.

I thought you were talking about the DRL's for some reason :rolleyes:

I will agree with you, auto on's CAN be a PITA sometimes

Burner
04-19-2003, 12:21
I thought I'd mention that the 03's switch need only turn counter clockwise to "deactivate" or "activate" the lights. If you look closely, there is a little green light, left of the switch, lit when they are in auto mode. Just below the green light will be an orange light that glows when they are not active. ;)

Burner------&gt; :D

Minn-kota
04-19-2003, 15:54
HD Nate-

No problem. I just get really torqued sometimes when you buy a vehicle and it trys to be smarter than you. The Auto Headlights are a nice feature to have, but if you had full control they would be even better. That's my gripe.

Anyway, no issues here. Just finished installing the high idle mod. Works like a charm! :D Now just need the dealer to reprogram the idle speeds a little lower for me.