PDA

View Full Version : Operating Temps - Normal?

cdhd2001
07-30-2003, 17:12
I am somewhat concerned with my dmax's operating temps. On the way home from work today the rearview mirror temperature readout was 104 F. I was in stop & go traffic, 30 miles worth, average speed of 22 mph. The engine temp was exactly on the 210 F mark and the allison was showing 205 F. This seems excessive to me. The 2001 6.0L always stayed at 200 F engine and in traffic the tranny was 175 F (same outside temps).

So, is this normal or should I see the dealer? Also, the a/c was barely cool.

Thanks!

akrockhound
07-30-2003, 17:28
My 2003 engine runs steady at about 210 when its warm, your tranny sounds hot compared to mine which never exceeds 200 even hauling a 10 ft slide-in camper in 90 degree weather up hills.

I stepped up from a '93 6.5L (which ranat about 180 on a hot day) and was a bit concerned about the 210 engine temp the first time I drove my 2003 Duramax. But I've read enough here and pushed mine up enough hard hills under a load now and see that it will NEVER go above that 210 that I am comfortable that its normal.

akrockhound
07-30-2003, 17:29
Thinking a bit more about this the hottest temps I've ever seen on my tranny was in stop/go traffic. I bet your OK

AbqGeorge
07-30-2003, 19:01
Hey there cdhd,

Try running around town in tow/haul mode. The torque converter locks up in 2,3,4, & 5. The only time I've exceeded 200 is mucking around backing it into my backyard parking spot in 100 degree heat.

I don't think low 200's will hurt a thing.

Geo.

a64pilot
07-31-2003, 06:59
These stock gauges are not lab instruments, just because it say's 210 dosen't mean it really is. Use them to spot trends, (big changes from normal)Try to basically ignore the numbers and pay more attention to changes in needle position. We all know that wnen the gas gauge say's 1/2 you don't really have a half a tank of fuel remaining. the others seem to have about the same accuracy. The interesting thing is that the sending units seem to be accurate, it's the gauges that suck.

Jomar
07-31-2003, 07:25
cdhd, you might try putting the air deflector on your tranny cooler. Use the search, it was about a year ago this time when it was on the DP. It dropped the temp. a little ( about 5 degrees ) on my trans. while pulling my 5er. On a hot day driving around San Antonio without a load, my trans. never hits 200.

Jomar

4x4man
07-31-2003, 07:33
My tranny has hit 200 degrees in stop and go traffic (empty) when temps where in the upper 90's and lower 100's. That is even with the deep pan and transynd!! Oh well at least I know the fluid will hold up regardless..

Also my A/C is less than comfortable at idle as well. You can feel the air warm up if you are sitting in traffic just idling. Once you get back going again and get the rpm's up, the temp starts cooling off in the cab. Nothing pi$$es me off more than that, but I don't think there is anything I can do about it.. I don't think that cycling switch applies in this case.

Bob

Aggie '91
07-31-2003, 07:43
chhd2001,

I drive thru downtown Ft Worth every day & my temps are 200F on the tranny & around the same as yours for the engine. (2003 Crew cab). It's been HOT here as well! Based on your comments, we may be driving the same road smile.gif

I would think andy "minor differences between your temps & mine are accuracy related in the gauge. I have found that using tow/haul mode does work, but even in OD I have only gotten above 210F once in the past 2 weeks. If the tranny starts consitantly staying above 210, I will switch into tow/haul.

I am planning a change to synth xmsn fluids pretty soon, hope that will help. Also, as soon as I find the info, I will "apply" the air deflector modification, it seems to work pretty well for most of the users.

All in all, I think you are running about normal with your current temps (given the conditions & air temps you are in).

Thanx,
PDS

chuntag95
07-31-2003, 07:48
I too hit 200+ in traffic unloaded. I have added a fan to the factory cooler. It has helped a little, but not as much as I would like. I am seeing that this is more common than I originally thought. From everything I can dig up, Allison says it's fine. One guy changed out the factory cooler for a really nice one that was about 3X the size. He has reduced his temp to the 160-170 range all of the time. He is testing it towing in mountains soon and that will be the final test. I also run Transynd, but the temps did not change. Most do not report lower temps with the large pan and Transynd. I do believe the Transynd is a better fluid and if you are in a marginal range, it will help you. Just my 0.02 and that might be overpriced. :D tongue.gif