PDA

View Full Version : metal particles visible in oil

akrockhound
07-30-2003, 17:23
I am at 5,000 miles on 2003 Duramax. Changed oil at 1,000 miles and again at 5,000 miles. There are specs (fine sand-sized and smaller)of metal in the bottom of my plastic oil tub after I discard the dirty oil that just came out of my Duramax. At 1,000 miles there was about 1/4 teaspoon of metal, at 5,000 miles there is only about 1/16.

I haven't opened the oil filter to see what was in there.

Nearly all is non ferrous (is not attracted to magnet) some are large enough to see that they are bronze colored.

A very tiny amount of the smallest particles (dust-size) are attracted to a magnet. This stuff doesn't concern me so much as the bigger non-ferrous pieces.

Dealer says "normal" as engine is breaking in. Should stop after a few thousand more miles.

I trust him, but this much metal in aircraft piston engine oil ( I fly and have had two engines "go bad") would be cause for grounding the airplane.

Do you guys agree that it's nothing to worry about and just keep an eye on it in future oil changes.

Kennedy
07-30-2003, 20:21
Conventional spectro analysis only looks at the very fine stuff that you cannot see. It may be worth having a ferrography done to see what is happening in the big picture.

This is assuming your pan was clean to begin with...

jbplock
07-31-2003, 03:37
Anyone know if the duramax has a screen on the oil pump pick up? A screen would probably prevent bigger particles that can be seen from getting into the pump. I changed my oil at 1000, 2000, 3000 miles but I didn't look at the drained oil close enough to notice any particles.

[ 07-31-2003, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

a64pilot
07-31-2003, 06:27
I looked pretty closely on my first oil changes. Run a thin film of oil on glass like a windowpane, that will show any large pieces of metal, Anyway I didn't see any, ever. If I had enough metal to actually leave excess in the bottom of the oil drain pan I would be very concerened, enough to have the analysis that John speaks of even if I had to pay for it.
If the dealer say's it's normal, then I would want that put that in writing.

jesshd
07-31-2003, 06:41
Not sure about the diesel or Duramax, but on gas engines it is not unusual to see some sand casting particles left in the oil at the first change. This is left over from casting the block or intake or other cast pieces that are part of the engine. I can just about guarantee you that unless the DM is much different than the way other engine parts are made, there will be some residual sand. And there will be a screen on the oil pump pickup.

Jess