PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Fram filters?

dmaxalliTech
04-18-2003, 18:16
I have come across a source for Fram filters that is relatively inexpensive. My Q is what are your thoughts on Fram quality? The oil filter is found is a suregrip, typical Fram filter. The fuel filter is the typical racor copy.

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

FirstDiesel
04-18-2003, 18:24
dmaxalliTech

There are a few websites out there that have taken filters apart. What is found inside a Fram filter is scary. I would never use one on any vehicle I own again, never the less a Diesel running the kind of oil pressure ours run.

dmaxalliTech would you send me an email?? I'd like to ask you a question/favor.

Larry@Miata.net

Thanks

dmaxalliTech
04-18-2003, 18:31
I have seen the same, thats whats got me worried. :eek:

FirstDiesel
04-18-2003, 18:40
Here's the website:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Very long, just read the Fram section and then go to the bottom and you can see his favorites.

moisheh
04-18-2003, 19:18
I think the Fram is even cheaoer at Wally World. But as the Fram ads used to say: Pay me now or pay me later. The Fram is pure junk. I weighed a Fram, a Baldwin, and an OEM. 3 Frams equals 2 OEM. False economy to use that kind of c--p.

mdrag
04-18-2003, 19:45
I've cut open a number of different oil filters, including the OEM Champion, AC Delco PF2232, Baldwin B1441, Mighty, and FRAM. The Mighty and FRAM filters were sent to me by TDP members at their request.

Of the filters that I have examined, IMHO the FRAM showed inferior constuction. The FRAM endcaps on the internal filter media on the sample I examined are made of cardboard/fiberboard compared to metal on all the others mentioned above. Also, the FRAM had smaller diameter filter media compared to the others.

Choose the first link in my sig and view the FILTERS album for pics of cut open filters - including the FRAM and judge for yourself.

K1XV
04-18-2003, 21:00
For my money and Duramax, I will stay with Baldwin

hoot
04-18-2003, 21:16
Bought a Fram air filter for my K1500 Blazer (gas350).

It has incredibly less pleats in it that the AC/Delco filter it replaced.

Never again. Fram = cheap

Burner
04-18-2003, 22:13
You have got to be kidding. So, how long have you been turning wrenches? ----- Fram made a really good filter until the 80's but not now. They have even "upped" their line so that you can buy two filters for one application. The "less exspencive" filter is the really crapy one and the "cost competative" one is the general POS.

Sorry for the snappy remark. The folks that bought Fram out have not done the namesake right. If you knew what wall-mart did to the brand....you would just look at it and say..why?

- What company gave you the 250K warranty on the lubed parts?

Burner------&gt; :D

dmaxalliTech
04-19-2003, 07:40
The warr on my axles came from BD products. Check there website. BGPROD.com

SPICER
04-19-2003, 09:52
I had always used Fram. I thought they were the best and couldn't understand why anybody would pay 3x the price for a cheaper quality filter(ACDelco,etc..) Boy am I stupid! I'm the same person who preaches you get what you pay for! At my first oil change I used Fram9100. Then I did a search on TDP and read the horror stories! At 1000 miles into my oil change I swapped out my Fram. Then I decided to cut them open to see for myself. As mentioned, the end-caps on the Fram were flimsy cardboard, the total pleated filtering surface was atleast 30% less than the OE, the can was whimpy, and then I started tearing away at the filter media. The OE was strong and very tuogh to rip. The almost new Fram tore like wet toilet paper! Garbage! I switched to ACDelco for my truck and my wife's Blazer.

I know that Baldwin makes the AMSOIL filter for the Duramax. According to the propaganda, This filter is superior to ACDelco. Any comments? I may try these at my next oil change. SPICER smile.gif

hoot
04-19-2003, 13:17
You'll see Baldwin filters on the big rigs and construction equipment. I believe they are good products.

K1XV
04-19-2003, 17:46
Baldwin Duramax oil filter is B1441

dmaxalliTech
04-19-2003, 18:02
whats the best price out there for baldwin 1441?

Victory Red
04-19-2003, 18:29
Dmaxallitech,

JK actually has some of the best prices I've found so far. $7.50 ea in a case of 12. I found them locally here in town for $7.83 per case. I would've bought from JK but since he's in my state I'd have to not only pay the tax, but the shipping. So getting them locally is a better deal for me.

He's also cheap for the tranny spin ons, slightly more expensive for fuel filters.

I've got a friend who bought a 03 GMC D-max so we split cases of filters as well so try and find someone to split with you in your area, if you don't want a whole 12 pk sitting around.

[ 04-19-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]</p>

chrisinkanata
04-19-2003, 18:42
Please forgive my apparent stupidity here, but what is the situation with warranty issues if one uses an oil filter other than AC Delco?

dmaxalliTech
04-19-2003, 19:43
Victory, Thanks for the info.

Warr issues should be null as far as different brands of oil filters go. An oil filter must pass certification to make it to the market. Read above link at top of thread on filter make ups and quality differences. I was very suprised at the results. :eek:

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

Kennedy
04-21-2003, 11:24
Fram??? :rolleyes:

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

mdrag
04-21-2003, 12:04
dmaxalliTech,

You should check with More Power before proceding with your plans to offer products on the forums. This is a portion of the Registration Agreement:

"Please note that commercial exploitation, classified advertisements, group purchasing, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other solicitations are inappropriate on this Bulletin Board unless specifically approved in advance by TheDieselPage.com administrators."

I wouldn't want to see your good intentions cause a problem(s).

mdrag

dmaxalliTech
04-21-2003, 17:43
mdrag, thank you, we are in contact regarding advertising. smile.gif
no harm meant