PDA

View Full Version : D-max valve adjustment?

mark45678
01-08-2003, 21:11
Does any body know if the D-max has a adjustable valves? if they do how often should they be done?Not that I am looking for a PITA job to do but its been on my mind. After the nsbu switch getting replaced at a local dealer and not done right I can not see going back to them,does any one know of a a GOOD dmax tec in eastern Ma?The "tec" had the nsbu switch adjusted so it wouldnt start in park with out playing with the shifter!!!!! :eek:

N.E. TMRPR
01-08-2003, 22:49
I deal with Robertson's GMC in Wareham,MA. They have a mechanic named Chris who is excellent on diesels. I'll be taking my dmax in for it's first problems on the 21st. My drivers side seat heat is not working and I have a loud tick on the left bank when accelerating. When talking to Chris he thought it might be a loose rocker arm. I'll find out if the lifters are either solid or hydraulic when I see him. My truck now has 71,000 miles.

D-max Man
01-09-2003, 06:21
The D-Max uses solid - roller lifters.
Normally solid lifters would need periodic adjustment however with the roller design and a nitrite hardened camshaft, GM says that there will not be any wear and therefore they will not go out of adjustment.

They are adjustable however, if you don

bora
01-09-2003, 12:35
At an engine that barely turns 4K rpms, I am not sure if the valve adjustment is very critical.
As long as it is designed properly.

GM may be right on this one.

esmo77
01-09-2003, 17:35
I have been having a rattling sound from the left side at about 2000 rpm in third and fourth; goes away at cruising speed. No smoke, power loss, same mileage. Is this a concern?

SteveO
01-09-2003, 21:43
esmo77,

I would say this noise is normal.. Sounds like Pilot Injection "Cuts off" for a split second (noise gets loud) then it comes back on and the noise goes away... Normal smile.gif

bora,

Don't know about your DMax, but mine will only turn 3250+-50 smile.gif

SID6FIVE
01-12-2003, 10:33
Hey folks-
Yes, the valves are adjustable.I've seen some duramaxes (very few) that had the valves mis-adjusted from the factory-most were too tight.Yes,adjusting them is a LOT of work-10 to 15 hours worth...anyhow,the main reason for adjusting valves on any diesel is not necessarily because of cam,lifter,or pushrod wear-it's due to valve face wear and valve seat recession-each will cause the lash to "tighten up".I have checked valve lash on a few high mileage dmaxes (while replacing injectors) and have not found any real problems.LONG LIVE DMAX!

NFLDMAX
01-13-2003, 06:22
Thanks SID

D-max Man
01-13-2003, 06:23
SID6FIVE,
You are correct that valve seat wear can affect adjustment however the 10-15 hour time estimate seems a bit much.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

SID6FIVE
01-13-2003, 20:20
Yeah,it does seem like alot now that I think about it...I based the time on injector replacement warranty time-G.M. pays about 9 hours...

charliepeterson
01-15-2003, 21:29
Mark 45678:

I've heard good things about Marty's GMC in Kingston. We've used them before at work for warranty issues.