PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel Leak

Swamp Rabbit
11-10-2005, 16:38
Thought I had just a loose fuel line. Had fuel all over the bottom of the vehicle and when the mechanic opened the hood also all over the engine. He immediately said it was a leaking injector.

He also pulled the oil dipstick, so much diesel fuel had drained down in the crankcase oil, it was so clear it was very difficult to even see any oil on the dipstick. The mileage / gal dropped down too less than 10 mpg and the oil pressure likewise dropped.

This was at the GMC dealership. I was surprised when he said they had the injectors in stock & would go ahead and replace all 8 injectors tomorrow morning.

I guess it is about time since the truck is a 2002 GMC 2500HD with 123,000 miles on the speedometer.

More Power
11-11-2005, 09:05
The extended fuel injector warranty saves the day!

Are you running an auxiliary fuel filter? What have been the service intervals for the OEM fuel filter?

Jim

Swamp Rabbit
11-11-2005, 17:18
In answer to Jim

I do not have an auxiliary fuel filter. My maintenance records show the oil(Rotella) & oil filter(AC-Delco) was changed every 2 months or 6000 miles. The fuel filter was changed only three times to-date at 15,000 - 76,000 - 104,000 miles.

One or more of the injectors sprung a leak yesterday at 123,200 miles. The truck was approximately 4 years old.

Took the truck to the GMC dealer at 7:00 am this morning. They replaced all 8 injectors, the fuel filter, changed the engine oil & filter, flushed & refilled the coolant in the system, looked like the engine had been steam cleaned, and gave the whole truck a wash job to remove the thin coating of diesel fuel off of the sides and rear of the vehicle. They had it ready to go about 4:00 pm.

However, not all was covered by the 200,000 mile fuel injector warranty. I had to pay $197 for the radiator flush & the fuel filter change.

All things considered, guess this was not too bad since I have had a slight surging problem at idle for the last several months. The service writer told me if there was no extended warranty that the parts & labor for the 8 injectors they changed would have cost me about $ 8000.

DieselDennis
11-12-2005, 14:15
If she's running good after all that, then you got off easy. Smile and be happy.