PDA

View Full Version : found diesel bleeder screw next to alternator?

brevam
04-19-2003, 15:51
I was trying to bleed air out of my mega filter and I noticed a bleeder screw next to the alternator. At first I thought it was for the AC. I took the cap off and found a trace of diesel. It is nothing more than a "valve stem".
I depressed the in pin while I pumped the primary. At first I got air then I got a steady stream of diesel. Bad thing was that I got diesal all over the engine compartment and belt.
Is there a tool for this so as not to spill diesel?
Also does this have any value to remove air? It is pretty up.

Thanks
Bruce

FirstDiesel
04-19-2003, 16:48
That is a port to attach a pressure gauge to check the fuel system.

dmaxalliTech
04-19-2003, 17:29
Brev, ditto with Larry. The fitting is where the vacuum/pressure gauge hooks to for diagnostics. It should not be used in attemp to bleed fuel system. Stick with the bleeder on the MEGA filter and the oem bleeder after MEGA is bled.

brevam
04-19-2003, 19:56
Thanks for your help.
Ever since the diesel gushed out of it onto my belts and pulleys I get a very loud chirp from my pulleys when I shut the motor off. I suspect the diesel made the belt too tackey. I have always had this problem but now it is down right obnoxious.

Bruce :eek:

Lone Eagle
04-19-2003, 20:37
Probably not tacky but slipping. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

Spartus
04-19-2003, 20:37
Then maybe you should remove your belt and clean it? Simple green will probably disolve the slimey junk you got on it. Also, clean off the pulleys....

Jelisfc
04-21-2003, 08:29
How much vac/pressure does this port see? Mine also had a slight amount of fuel in it. If the vacuum is high enough couldn't air be sucked in through the port?

Why can't you bleed air from there? I will agree in it's current setup you don't have much control and spills are gonna happen. I removed mine and the pipe has male threads with an o-ring. It would just take a little machine work to make a replacement fitting for a petcock, gauge port, or whatever.

Kennedy
04-21-2003, 10:53
The design of the Mega filter is much like a letter T in that the fuel is drawn up through the vertical suction nipple which stands about 2" below the underside of the base. If you do not open my bleeder. the air will remain in a pocket above the lower edge of the nipple.

The only real use for the factory port is to allow testing of the vacuum necessary to pull fuel to the injection pump. Aside from that I use this point to "push" my fuel samples through by activating the primer pump. I have a prototype restriction gauge setup built that Chris has in TX for this coming weekend's Mega Filter install. I have looked at using a tee instead of an elbow for the gauge head. A guy could then add a valve and nipple to allow fuel discharge when pressure is applied. If you remove the factory fitting, it will be impractical for the dealer to diagnose fuel related problems as their gauge will no longer connect to measure restriction...

Furthermore, the presence of liquid fuel at this point would indicate that it is NOT leaking...

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Jelisfc
04-21-2003, 15:15
I'm looking at the factory port as a reference point for vacuum tests. We all have it so no-matter what setup you have the test location stays the same. Your right about the visible fuel. I'd rather see fuel than have air in the line.

Do you know what the thread size is on the tube?

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

Kennedy
04-21-2003, 15:33
No idea. I just snap the coupler onto what is there...