PDA

View Full Version : Stalling after long idle - help!!!

Mudflap
07-31-2003, 04:51
When the weather is hot as it has been and my dog is with me, I will lock the truck and let it idle with the AC on while I am inside a store or whatever on business and the pooch is in the back seat. This has never been a problem until lately. Now the truck wants to stall. I get back in, pull out and step on the gas, it accelerates up to about 20 mph and dies, sometimes the SES light comes on and sometimes not. If I pull over and shut it off for a while it goes back to normal and drives like nothing happened. The dealer says that the code indicates a bad injector and/or pump problem and the system is sending the fuel back to the tank. I have 66,000 miles on the truck, much with heavy towing and no other goofy problems at this point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks

svpdiesel
07-31-2003, 08:46
Just as an experiment, the next time you idle for a while try pumping the primer 10 times or so, and see if it stalls after that. If your truck's fuel system is as "gassy" as mine, sitting still may be allowing a pocket of air to form in the fuel filter and as soon as you move, it loses its prime and stalls. Doesn't happen when you're moving because the fuel level in the filter jiggles around enough to let the air go through a little at a time.
This is just a guess, and if the primer doesn't help, next time, shut it off and see if you get any air out of the bleeder on the stock filter...
If you try this, please let us know if it works or not.
Good luck
Steve

mdrag
07-31-2003, 09:16
Mudflap,

A few thoughts:

1) When was your last fuel filter change?
2) Maybe a bad tank of fuel...
3) Do you have the high idle mod and forget to turn off the HI switch :eek: ...easy to forget.

dmaxalliTech
07-31-2003, 20:33
Mudflap, sounds like a trip up to Grand Rapids in in order! Mdrag's ideas are good, Start with the basics, ie filters. The stored dtc has me worried that there may be more problems

Mudflap
08-01-2003, 00:28
I don't have the hi-idle mod, I would like to though, how do I get it? Right now I have started to use a "hi-idle stick", a piece of crown molding that fits between the seat and the gas pedal for about 900rpm. The code is confusing. Most of the time the truck runs great, so I don't understand the part about the "bad" injector. Also, it doesn't stall completely out, it just won't accelerate. It will crawl up to about 20mph and stay there unless I stop, turn it off wait a minute and re-start. Doesn't do it all the time.