PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hear of this???

DMAX-Hunter
01-09-2003, 18:33
A good friend of mine has a 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab with D/A. He took his truck into the stealer (Strickland Chevrolet in Pearland, TX) after noticing an oil leak on his driveway. They found it was coming from the rear main seal and noticed how damaged it was. They ended up yanking the engine and discovering that the thrust bearing was shot and damaged the rear main seal. Additionally, some slop in the crankshaft was noticed and it is being replaced as well. However, none of the dealers in or around Houston have a spare crankshaft laying around. He should get the truck back on Monday. The truck has approximately 24K miles on it. Thank goodness it is all covered under warranty! Should he seek any extra coverage? The motor has a 100K warranty, so he should be alright, right? Anything else he should be concerned about?

As always, THANKS!!!

schnier
01-10-2003, 08:22
If my memory serves me correct, there were a hundred or so D-max's made in 2001 with a problem with the crankshaft. It has been a year or so ago that I read this. To my understanding the trucks in that era were recalled by Chevrolet to fix the one time problem. It is not an ongoing problem and was found and reported in the grinding area of machining. That is all I can remember on this subject. Hope this helps.

Nels
01-10-2003, 12:41
The one and only instance I read about a bad crank on a Dmax resulted from an improperly installed accessory drive on a tow truck. I don't know all the details, so I won't comment further. I have not heard or read about any others. I know my 2001 has been flawless so far (32K).

DMAX-Hunter
01-10-2003, 18:33
Thanks guys! I hadn't heard of any issues, so when he told me about it, it caught me by a big surprise....

DMAX-Hunter
01-11-2003, 02:59
Got a new update for ya.....GM will be replacing the entire motor!! GM sent a rep down to look at the damage first hand. They will be taking the motor for furter analysis...