PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate handle trouble

Diesel Dave
11-12-2005, 18:48
Today I went to open tailgate to find it would not. Discovered one of the pullrod clips(plastic) had broken which let one rod fall off. Therefore I cannot open the tailgate. Does anyone know if removing the 3 bolts on the backside of the tailgate will allow the handle to come out so I can replace this clip. Thanks. DD

Troy
11-12-2005, 19:30
Yes. Same thing happened to mine. I used a plastic wire tie to hold in place. It has held for 2 years that way over some fairly rough roads.

Diesel Dave
11-12-2005, 20:32
Thanks Troy! But how did you recover the rod to fasten it back in place? Thanks DD :(

Troy
11-13-2005, 08:31
I don't recall all the details. I probably fished it out with a metal coat hanger or light weight banding wire. Mine was just broken on the latch side and once I retrieved the rod it wasn't difficult to rig a fix. You could probably buy the plastic holding thingies but I decided that in the heat of the desert it wouldn't last any longer the 2nd time around.

Good luck.

Will Bonner
11-18-2005, 13:53
Take one of the plastic pos to "NAPA" and they can replace it with a metal one, like the ones used on the door handle rod. You can also go to a well stock hardware store and use the round clips like the ones used to hold on the wheels of Bar-B-Q grills.