PDA

View Full Version : Question for JK or anyone who knows

DURA-MAX3
01-10-2003, 10:13
I checked at caterpillar yesterday about a fuel filter that is a 2micron @98% eff. I ran these on my Cat engines on the Peterbilts i owned and never had injector problems. My question is will the lift pump on the D-MAX pull the fuel through the filter with no problems. This filter plate also has a prime pump on it to fill the filter after changing, and the fittings are 1/2 inch already. I will put the part numbers and prices on here if anyone is interested. Thanks...

mdrag
01-10-2003, 10:52
DURA-MAX3,

I believe the answer is contained in the 4 page topic linked below:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004373

From what has been posted, the answer to your question should be YES.

Work is in progress by a few forum members to add a second filter, and the results of fuel testing should be available soon.

Kennedy
01-10-2003, 11:18
My opinion is that any additional filtration should be plumbed AFTER the factory unit, AND be easily removed if the dealer tries to blame problems on it.

I have installed my first prototype secondary filter unit on my truck and have been running it w/o incident. I have just drawn my sample and will be sending it out soon.

I have measured the system vacuum (no lift pump pre injection pump) and have found little/no increase in restriction. It still runs at 4-5" hg at full governed rpm (technically known as high idle) which as I understand, is the GM procedure. I have yet to try it under full load.

There have been problems with the samples taken by others that I will let them address as they see fit, but some have seen an INCREASE in particle count. It is difficult to determine where this dirt is coming from, but a couple of possible factors are:

1) Defective filter elements.

2) Contaminated (poor house keeping at mfr.) fuel filter.

3) Bacteria colony growth in system.

4) System leaks (if air gets in, so does dirt...)

5) Contaminated field. It doesn't take much dust in the air.

6) Transfer of metals to fuel when screwing onto mount. There can also be transfer of fuel from dirty to clean side via channeling through the threads of a center post style mount.

7) Loose surface particles on machined surfaces of auxilliarry filter mount.

I have addressed as many of these as possible, but only time will tell when I get my sample results back.

DURA-MAX3
01-10-2003, 11:33
John, where did you mount the filter at.Thanks

Kennedy
01-11-2003, 10:57
DURA-MAX3,

Disclosure of the location will have to wait a bit till I get my analysis done and look at practicality of the installation as well as other details.

To add to my earlier post, it looks like at least one of the "sampling problems" turned out to be fungal growth in the fuel system. The infected party is now treating with "Killem" so we'll see how this works out. Had there not been any free water (HINT! HINT!) there would be nothing to sustain the growth of micro-organisms...

DURA-MAX3
01-11-2003, 22:03
Thanks John, i'll wait for the final results...

jbplock
01-12-2003, 06:35
I get the HINT (LOL) :D Emulsify!

John,
Regarding fuel testing, I read a post on the Furd site that, about a guy who flushed and cleaned his tank before doing a filter test. He also plumbed in a fitting to tap the after filter "clean" sample. As I recall he cleaned the tank then tested two fuel samples (before and after the stock filter) and got very good results. Question: When taking the "before" sample should you get it directly from the truck's tank? Seems like if the fuel is sampled before it's put into the tank, and the fuel in the tank is dirtier than what your putting in, the test results could be skewed (?) smile.gif

TraceF
01-12-2003, 08:48
I would think that an in-line fuel filter would be less of a warranty concern if it were before the factory system (ahead of the tank) rather than interrupting it (after the present oem filter). I do agree that it should be removable if after.

I also think that either the Stanadyne or Racor 2-mic will be superior to the oem.

The marine industry puts an on-board fuel filter on outboard engines and many of the inboard engines I have seen for example but recommends- and boat builders and riggers almost always use- a pre-filter like is being discussed on this board.

The advantages include besides the obvious, not having to deal with the oem filter and all of the issues the board members have associated with this as often. Additionally, if the filter media came apart (potential warranty issue) the oem filter should stop it and protect the fuel system and consequently preserving the warranty. If there was a problem with it post oem the warranty is kaput.

This seems like the better approach in my humble opinion.