PDA

View Full Version : Fleetguard Fuel Filters

Jack's Dmax
08-01-2003, 00:26
I currently am using a Cat 1R-0749 in a pre-OEM configuration and would like to use a larger 2-Micron filter. I checked at a local dealer and purchased a Fleetguard FF-211 fuel filter which is about 20% larger. This is supposed to be a direct replacement for the Cat,but there were no details about it's filtration specifications.

I have sent an e-mail to Fleetguard asking if this is indeed a 2-Micron absolute filter, and expect to hear from them soon. I would appreciate input from those that might be familiar with this particular brand.

Thanks,

Jack

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-01-2003, 04:40
What does "absolute" mean in this context? I suspect it's the percentge of particles larger than 2 micron that are filtered, if yes, at what pecentage is it considered to be absolute? :confused:

hoot
08-01-2003, 05:41
I do not believe anyone makes a true "absolute" filter. I was told by Racor that to make a 2 micron absolute filter with any life to it it would need to be huge.... way bigger than practical. The only real way to get super clean lab quality fuel is to pre-filter it before putting it in your tank.

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-01-2003, 05:54
If there is not a "True Absolute" what is considered to be absolute? 98%, 50%, 75%? :confused:

Trip
08-01-2003, 06:40
I've been running Fleetguard fuel filters on my 6.2 for the last 5 years and looked into a setup for my Dmax. The Cummins shop called Fleetguard directly and told me they do not make a 2 mic fuel filter...period. I was shocked as Fleetguard is very popular and I assumed they would be right up there with CAT and Baldwin in staying up with owner/operator requirements. That is why I'm going to add the CAT setup for 2 mic filtering.

Jack's Dmax
08-01-2003, 16:00
Regarding the Fleetguard FF-211 filter, it turns out that it is actually an eight Micron filter so no gain there. It looks like I will stick with the Cat filters. Especially since they have a proven track record based on lab test results of Ndamico's fuel.

I enclosing the reply that I got from Fleetguard today.

Thanks for the replys to my question.

Jack

Quote: Thank you for contacting Fleetguard.
The FF211 is a 8 Micron at 97% Efficient. The 1R0749 crosses to our FF5319 which is a 2 Micron at 92% Efficient. In order for Fleetguard to match specs to an OEM product (1R0749), we purchase the OEM product, run the sufficient test and then build our filter to match those specs. The 1R0749 was tested and the FF5319 is the filter that matches those specs.
If we can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact your Fleetguard Customer Assistance Center or send a message to FleetMaster.
Please visit our homepage often at http://www.fleetguard.com
Sincerely,
Fleetguard FleetMaster