PDA

View Full Version : to chip or not to chip

rockhouse
09-17-2003, 21:00
Hi,
Got a 6.5 turbo 94 version. Vacuum pump is not producing vacuum. Getting EGR light. Read that I can replace the boost with a mechanical unit & that a chip will take care of the EGR light.

Okay. What can I expect from installing a chip & the boost only. Not interested in spending alot of money. Will my MPG go up or down? Reliability? Power? Are there several chips available? What are the price ranges? Why do I ask so many questions?

Thanks,
Joe

MtnHiCO
09-18-2003, 05:25
smile.gif Hi Joe welcome aboard. I'm not sure if the chip would help your EGR light problem, but I know you would enjoy the extra HP and Torque from a chip.I had a '94 and My milage actually went up after adding mods.(Air box mods/Amsoilfilter,4" Exaust, BD performance chip). If you are interested, I have a BD performance chip for sale out of my '94. I pulled it out before I sold truck. Chip alone adds 35HP. New it was $300 plus shipping, if interested, let me know I'll let it go cheap! :eek: :D James

83Silverado
09-18-2003, 05:39
Hey, James. If you don't get a taker on that chip let me know. jcoleymail@yahoo.com

rockhouse
09-18-2003, 05:49
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I think I might be interested. How much?

Joe

David Brady
09-18-2003, 06:53
Joe,
I recently went through the same on my 94. The pump quit and so did my boost controller. I ordered the turbo master controller and chip from Bill Heath and installed both. I have no EGR lights and I have as much boost as I want with no EGT. My gas mileage maybe down 1 mpg as it is hard to resist pushing the pedal and seeing the boost go up and up. It does feel like more power but I don't have any hard numbers other than I can hit 80 at the top of the entrance ramp on the freeway when before it struggled at 70 MPH. I highly recommend Heath Diesel. smile.gif

rockhouse
09-18-2003, 19:04
Howdy,
I went with the Heath system. Got the chip, mechanical boost arm, & something for the trans. Do I need a boost gauge?

Joe

advanracing62
09-21-2003, 12:00
I might be interested in the chip as well.. advanracing62@mail.streetracing.org

Kollin Syverson
09-21-2003, 18:41
Yes, you will definately need a boost gauge with the turbo master in order to set the proper unload spring tension

David Brady
09-22-2003, 06:33
Joe,
I think it depends on what you are doing with the truck. If you are just commuting, you probably are fine. If you do any towing, you should get the boost and EGT gauges to properly monitor what is happening.

MtnHiCO
09-22-2003, 18:34
:rolleyes: Hey Rockhouse sorry about slow response, been camping :D I'd let chip go for $205 shipped. Let me know James

rockhouse
09-22-2003, 18:47
Hi,
Sorry, I already bought a Heath chip.
Thanks,
Joe

MtnHiCO
09-22-2003, 19:08
Looks like the chip is still available! ;) James

damork
09-23-2003, 18:57
Rockhouse,
FYI - I've been running the BD Race chip in my 95 for 130,000 miles with no problems or failures as a result of it. I also own the BD RV chip, but in my opinion the Race chip makes it run just right. I know the power is there if I want it, but most of the time I just drive it normally and it even gets better mileage than with the stock chip. There is some enhancement to the automatic trans shift as it seems more crisp. Boost and pyro gauges are a must if you know you are going to push it. I ran for a while without the gauges, but was very careful.

advanracing62
10-24-2003, 21:53
mtnhico- chip still FS? did you call in to tell them what you wanted? wanting to know specs of it... have the cash.. just want to make sure it's what I want

Phil Holmen
10-26-2003, 20:10
At the rendevous this year I had made arrangements with Bill Heath to bring me a chip and a turbomaster. Chris Bigley and myself thought that it would be nice to see what kind of gains that it actually gave. We should have tested everything before the turbomaster was installed but I was too eager. Anyway I set the turbomaster to 7psi as that was the max boost that I was seeing with the factory chip and factory boost controller. 0-60 time with a G-Tec if I remember correctly was 18.9s. Next I installed the chip and set boost to 14psi, 0-60 time dropped to 11.1secs with a little brakes on launch to build boost. Keep in mind that I have an 50 gal auxillary tank that was roughly 3/4 full and I run 285 tires. In my opinion the chips are worth the $$ be sure to have gauges, especially if you tow EGT's can really climb in the hills if you push it. No de-fuelly or retarding of the turbo like factory to try and save your engine....