PDA

View Full Version : Snapping noise?

Minn-kota
04-21-2003, 16:14
My '03 has just under 500 miles on the odometer now, and I've picked up some sort of random snapping from what sounds like the passenger side of the engine. Almost sounds like when you pop a spark plug wire off of a running car to see if it's getting spark from the distributor. Or, another similar sound is a typewriter. Just random snapping.

Any ideas? Is this the "tick" that's been discussed here? I don't know the "tick" sound so I can't compare it.

I also noticed my oil pressure to be at or a hair under 30 psi with engine at running temp, in park, and idling. Normal or too low?

thanks

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: Minn-kota ]</p>

afp
04-21-2003, 16:20
Sounds like the tick to me. Mine always seems to come from the driver's side, but sounds travel quickly in metal and can be hard to pinpoint.

Blaine

FisHn2DMax
04-21-2003, 16:52
Minn-Kota
You've got the Duramax "TICK"! Mine happened right after my first oil Change at 1000 miles and at 4500 miles it still there. I'm more at ease knowing that this is a common issue and it appears to be causing no harm to the engine. I've read many posts on this subject and read the "TICK" TSB from GM, all confirm this is just a normal occurence and is not problematic.

After I first heard it, it drove me nuts, now after a few months I just don't pay as much attention to it. I've heard as the Engine gets some miles on it, (50-100K) the ticking usually will go competely away? Let's hope so....?

Typically the Drivers side is louder with the Tick, You may want to see if one your Spark plug wires has come off on the passenger side?

Oil Pressure issue is normal for an 03!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the Spark plug thing ...LOL....

Good Luck
:D

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: FisHn2DMax ]</p>

svpdiesel
04-21-2003, 17:37
Its the infamous "tick". When I first heard it on mine, I thought a nut had fallen off inside the bell housing and was getting rattled around in there. After looking around on this site, I decided it was harmless. It disappeared when I switched to Delvac 1 synthetic, and hasn't returned at 10k mi. Do a search on this site for the "tick", and you'll get a ton of info..

Minn-kota
04-21-2003, 18:02
--------------------------------
Typically the Drivers side is louder with the Tick, You may want to see if one your Spark plug wires has come off on the passenger side?
--------------------------------

Yeah, I checked and all the spark plug wires are on tight.
:D

I figured someone would have a remark about that, but that's the best way I could think of to describe the sound! lol.

Ok, so that's the infamous "tick", eh? hmm. Interesting.

afp
04-21-2003, 18:39
What about the coil wire?

roegs
04-21-2003, 20:17
Minn-kota...welcome to the ticking club. My '03 started doing it at around 200 miles. I'm getting kinda used to it now at 630 miles...mostly because I know so many others have it. Guess misery loves company. ;)

My oil pressure is just a tad below 30 at idle, and a bit over 60 at startup. I've read a few posts that the 03's seem to read lower than earlier years. I've also noticed that the voltage guage sometimes takes a while to com up past 14 volts after a cold start.

Sure love the truck though!

Are you from the Minneapolis area?

Minn-kota
04-21-2003, 20:22
Thanks for the responses. I guess I traded in a cold-start knocker 6.0 for a ticking Duramax. :rolleyes:

Roegs - Hutchinson, just west of the cities.

MICKD
04-21-2003, 20:58
I have the "tick" on the passenger side as well. I don't pay attetion to it any more. Oil pressure is 30 at idle a bit over 60 on the road. This truck is great smile.gif