PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Light - Lesson Learned

Dmaxducker
08-01-2003, 15:37
Well I messed up yesterday and ran out of fuel. Perfect place - right at a light on a busy intersection. The interesting thing is the range indicator showed I had 34 miles left. Even more interesting was that between the time the low fuel light came on and I ran out of gas was maybe one mile, no more. Something else I noticed was that the fuel gauge has been really droping fast after reading 1/8th tank. Now I have just noticed this recently, within the last two fillups. Questions I have are, shouldnt the low fuel light come on sooner before the engine is dry? Why the fast drop off on the fuel gauge? And is this problem worth taking to the service dept? Its an "03 Dmax w/23K miles and absolutely no prior problems. (now on the third fuel filter) Regardless, :confused: now I doubt I will pass up a fill up when I'm even close to 1/4 tank.

56Nomad
08-02-2003, 12:23
Us 2001 and 2002 owners don't have the
hi tec range indicator.... just the low fuel light.

I've got the 34 gallon tank and with the low fuel warning
showing, have fueled up with 32 gallons.... so
at least 2 gallons left.

Don't do that very often :eek:

2K2AD
08-02-2003, 13:58
I have an 02 w/out the fancy computer. My tank is only 26 gallons and I have driven 50+ miles with the light on (bad idea, I know). It took just a shade over 26 gallons right up to the top of the neck. I would think that light should've come on sooner, it doesn't do much good to run out within a mile of the light first appearing.

Kevin