PDA

View Full Version : Standyne fuel filter results

srubrn
01-11-2003, 15:44
I just wanted everyone to know why it is taking so long to get the results we have been waiting on. I wasn't planning on telling all of this but since I found out it only affected 12 filters of which I got two and had a fuel sample ran on one of them.

The issue was 12 filters got the wrong media put in them on the third shift. They found this out after I sent them my filter to test. They were closed down two weeks at Christmas. They also promised me that it won't happen again.

The good filters are on the way. Should be here Monday. They were sent next day air to me on Friday. Onced installed I will run another fuel sample on it. Once done I will pass on all the info I have on the subject.

Corndog
01-11-2003, 18:02
Thanks for the update Todd.

indydmax
01-23-2003, 18:36
Any news. The suspense is killing me!

NWDmax
01-23-2003, 21:01
Whats the odds on you getting the funky filters srubrn?With luck like that better buy a lottery ticket.
Can't wait to see the results,the suspense is killing me too!
Blake tongue.gif

srubrn
01-23-2003, 21:06
Got back some results today and it was not exactly what we were looking for. It's possible that my sample taking technique is the issue. After talking to Stanadyne's engineers, we have a way to take the samples that should give us the results we want. I am taking the samples again tommorrow after I add a little more hardware to the filter setup to better facilitate the sample taking. I feel very confident that the filter is fine and it is my technique that is in question.

TraceF
01-24-2003, 08:20
I also am using the Stanadyne filter. Can you get any more info on the bad filters? Were there lot or batch numbers on them we can look for? Is there any way to identify possible bad filters?

:eek:

srubrn
01-24-2003, 08:55
TraceF,

There were only 12 bad filters and they were in one box sent to Reliable Industries where I bought mine.

indydmax
02-17-2003, 20:35
Any news on this issue.

srubrn
02-18-2003, 07:57
Unfortunately no!! I am having a heck of a time with getting sampls delivered. A month ago I sent some off and UPS lost them. AfterI decided they were gone I sent more, they arrived all leaked out into the zip lock bags. I am waiting on some good clean screw lid jars to come. Sorry!!

TraceF
02-26-2003, 16:50
This is an independent observation on the Stanadyne F100 series 2-micron filter that I have installed before the oem.

I had noted that the truck was giving a little "shudder" or "hesitation" occasionally the past few days but didn't think much about it.

I wanted to confirm my previous baseline of about 8.8 to 8.9 0-60 times before plugging in the refurb Juice module I just bought.

The best I could do was 9.4 in 4 tries. Scratched my head. Came home. Changed the Stan 2-mic filter out with a new one exactly like the old. Went back. First run was 8.8.

This confuses me. It seems that I had a restriction but it would seem that the restriction would be illustrated somewhere other than a mild hesitation a few times.

I cut the filter open after logging about 2300 miles on it. It looks very similar to the oem filter I cut open at 5k miles. I see no residue on the media. I understand the residue is too small to see but enough of it to cause a restriction you would think would be evident. It's not.

One interesting thing is that the total media area has to be about one-half the size of the oem. I can take pictures if anyone wants to see and comment, send me e-mail.

It would appear that the filter is working well since as some predicted; it seemed to begin to clog. But to be economically practical it needs to last 3 times longer before a notable restriction occurs. The element may just be too small.

As one of the many experimenting with pre-filtering I feel obligated to tell you that this may not be the filter for our intended application.

A 5-mic filter on the F100 head may be an option for some fuel quality improvement and would probably go 6-7k miles.

This result creates doubt in my mind that the Racor 645 or even 660 will be much better. I use twin Racor's on my outboards and have on every boat I have owned (7 total). Racor says to change them at 500 hours or when a notable restriction occurs. I have rarely seen one go beyond 100 hours. This would equate to about 4k miles and that's filtering gasoline, not diesel.

Kennedy's filter is huge compared to these. It looks like this is an area where his past experience puts him way ahead of the rest of us. Media size will be more critical if the filter is pre-oem and 2-mic. Less critical if it is post-oem.

I have concerns that post-oem will create potential warranty issues so I am slowly coming to the conclusion that this is all about media size if we want 2-mic filtration pre-oem.

DURA-MAX3
02-26-2003, 17:24
Thats why i went with the cat set-up. Those filters are designed for a lot more filtering since they are designed for much larger engines. Like i said before i was changing them at 10,000 to 12,000 miles and filtered a lot more fuel in that one stretch than these trucks will burn in six months...

george morrison
02-26-2003, 17:29
Another aspect to consider is that your system may still be 'cleaning up'. In the fuel re-cycling that we have with the Duramax, the multi-pass is going to reach a high level of cleanliness equilibrium than with the single OEM fillter. Thus, once system balance is attained, you may well find the 2 micron to last longer than initially. And yes, John Kennedy's "Man to do a boy's job" filter enables the filter to not only last longer but also function at a higher level of filtering efficiency with reduced throughput velocities and longer residence time.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

TraceF
02-26-2003, 17:35
George- this is an interesting point.

Since I have 2 more elements from my initial purchase, and since I rack up the miles pretty quick, I will watch this and comment later.

One question on the "cleanliness equilibrium". If I run the tank fairly low each time and fill it completely each time, shouldn't some equality be accomplished with every tank?

In other words, won't the reflitering be done tank by tank? If so, the filter should last a similar time (or miles/gallons).

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>

LanduytG
02-26-2003, 19:49
TraceF

Can't you get a bigger filter? I thought the FM100 was available with different lenght filters?

I know of at least 2 Racor 660 setups that have over 5K on the filters. I think it could also have a lot to do with the fuel supplier as well. Did you do fuel analysis where you but your fuel? My supplier has good quality fuel but as George can atest to it is dirty. I have 5K or so on my 660 on the 6.5 and I think I am going to have to change it when it warms up some. Even if you have to change it every 5K it is still better than new injectors.

Greg

hoot
02-26-2003, 21:04
Regardless, clogged filters is a good thing. It tells us that a lot is getting through without it. If my Racor R90 2micron filter clogs prematurely, I'll plumb another one in parallel.

We're talking Jet A!

TraceF
02-27-2003, 06:29
I am getting fuel wherever I need it. I am running all over FL, GA, AL, and the Carolina's.

I don't know if there is a longer filter. One thing I find perplexing is that the bottom portions of the filters get black. I think this has been described as the corpses of microbes??? In any case, logic tells me that a short large diameter filter would be better than a long small diameter filter.

I agree that it is working though due to the apparent restriction.

I have done no fuel testing, I was waiting for Todd to get another sample through to his lab.

Greg- It's possible the restricted filter would have gone another thousand or more miles. The restriction built up so slowly that I had to use the GTech to recognize it. The same thing may be happening on the 6.5's you are referring to.

Also, does the 6.5 recirculate the fuel like George describes. If no- this could lead to longer media life on the 6.5 system.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>

TraceF
02-27-2003, 09:48
hoot- This is an interesting idea, any restriction the slowly clogging media may create would be greatly reduced.

Cutting the Stan filter open and seeing the media size makes me believe it's just too small for 400+ cubic inches.

srubrn
02-27-2003, 15:27
Yes bigger filters are available for the FM-100. Mine is 4.3in. and they go to 6in. This might help but it would extend below the frame rail, if you have the manual priming pump.

I have two samples waiting to go. I just need to get to the UPS drop. I think the samples will make it entact this time. Also if they come back bad I would say the filter is the problem. If they do come back bad, I am going with a 10 micron filter on the FM-100 and adding a lift pump and the CAT filter assembly with a bypass hose to bypass the whole assembly if needed. This sounds like alot but I will be assured of clean fuel. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than a set of injectors.

a bear
02-27-2003, 16:07
No doubt, if their plugging they are doing their job. Must mean the OEM is not 2 micron or isn't working well. I also was looking at putting two filters in parallel for easy switching while on the road. since JK's results have came back I decided to go with the mega filter with lower AV for better efficiency, generous media surface area for longer life' among other reasons. The smaller filters will no doubt do a good job but will have to be changed more often resulting in possible higher costs and more maintenance time. I plan on going post OEM. Don't care what GM thinks. I am personal with my dealership and they think its a great idea. The Magnum Moss Act states that its illegal to void the warranty unless the recommended filter is supplied by the dealership free of charge. :eek:

Budz
02-27-2003, 19:04
I'm chewing on the fuel filter issue like many of you are. I'm waiting to see what JK is coming up with before making a final decision. I would like to have a large capacity element to filter 2 microns absolute so the fuel is nice and shiny for the injectors. I understand that if dirty fuel clogs a filter too fast the expense and inconvenience will a pain. A few of you have mentioned putting two filters in parallel to overcome this issue. Would it not make sense to put two filters in series with the first in the 10 to 15 micron range and then polish up with a 2 micron element. It seems that maintenance would be simplified. The sticks and stones would be caught by the first element and the fine soot and dust captured by the fine element. Is there an issue with fuel pressure loss that would make this idea impractical?

srubrn
02-27-2003, 19:44
Budz,

Basically that has already been done with the FM-100 and the CAT unit. The FM-100 has a fuel pump on top to take care of the pressure loss. To me that is the best system I have seen so far. I am just not sure there is a need to have two additional filters yet. I will have fuel analysis results hopefully soon and we will have a better answer.