PDA

View Full Version : Can bad fuel or a plugged fuel filter cause limp mode?

markrinker
11-17-2005, 18:00
My driver Nextel'd me yesterday, said the '01 Duramax "would only go about 30mph." He had refueled only a few miles before this happened.

He was pulling an empty 25' trailer, on flat ground. Water temp, oil pressure, engine sounded normal, just "no power at all" and the Service Engine Soon indicator was on.

Had him pull over, shut off the truck for a minute, and restart. Everything returns to normal, and he finishes his trip.

This morning we took it to a local Goodyear repair shop, no codes were set. Service Engine Soon indicator had returned to normal by the morning restart.

Changed fuel filter. Everything seems normal. 550 mile trip with 7,000 lbs cargo tomorrow.

Should I be concerned?

Kennedy
11-18-2005, 06:59
I have a little gauge that is designed to troubleshoot just such a situation... ;)

markrinker
11-18-2005, 15:53
JK - do you know if a limp is possible due to filter restriction? If so, why would operation return to normal after a restart?

mark45678
11-18-2005, 16:50
the 2001 truck i had would do the same thing 1900 RPM is as high as the motor would rev even in if it was in park ! some software safety to protect the fuel system. even after replaceing the fuel filter mine would do it, I think I had a problem with air getting into the fuel system , at the filter..... the filter housing was over 400.00 and they where on backorder from GM for 5 weeks..... It was 3 days after that statement that I had a new lly in the drive way ! My 2001 ran fine until you took a trip over 50 mile or you ran it with full power up hill for more then 10 seconds.

markrinker
11-20-2005, 12:00
Update - the fuel filter replacement seems to have corrected the problem. Fridays haul was uneventful.

So, my thought for the time being is that a partially plugged fuel filter CAN cause the truck into limp mode, and can set a check engine light without setting any codes.

chipper
11-20-2005, 16:49
Mark Rinker
Member # 10203 posted 11-20-2005 01:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update - the fuel filter replacement seems to have corrected the problem. Fridays haul was uneventful.

So, my thought for the time being is that a partially plugged fuel filter CAN cause the truck into limp mode, and can set a check engine light without setting any codes.
-------------------------------------------------

Mark, There is no doubt about it. It has happened to me 3 times. I now carry a vacum guage so I can check occasionally.
When the vacum gets over 10 lbs you are a canadate for limp mode. :D

Kennedy
11-21-2005, 07:31
The associated code is likely P1093 low rail pressure.

The new dual pleat element is actually catching some dirt now and the inadequate size is beginning to show...

tmcblane
11-23-2005, 06:02
Is there a way to read the code without a reader? Like maybe the number of flashes of service light?

Kennedy
11-23-2005, 06:25
No, you will need a code reader of some sorts. Dealer, buddy with a tuner, Auto Zone etc...

tmcblane
11-23-2005, 07:54
Thanks Kennedy. I appreciate your response.