PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Did the Fuel in oil test and I have a ring

cowboywildbill
11-18-2005, 16:16
Hi everyone, I have 59,000 miles on our truck and I change the oil every 3,000 miles and use rotella T 5w40 synthetic. Changed my oil last night only 2,200 miles since my last oil change this time and I did the drop of oil on the napkin like I always do and I have a little black dot in the center and a broad lighter ring around that this time. Kinda looks like an egg over easy only in black and white. I have never had the ring before. I checked it again after running it about 50 miles this morning and I have of course the new clean oil center and a lighter ring around that again. My oil level was normal when I drained it and it's right at the full level now. I have not had any codes or rough running or any issues otherwise and the truck runs fine. My oil pressure was fine before I changed the oil and it is fine now. Oil pressure runs 40 psi idle and almost 80 psi at higher RPMs. When I talked to two different dealers this afternoon they told me that they couldn't do anything under warranty unless I have set a code or have a very rough idle or drivability issue. They could not do any warranty service even if I had a test sample stating that there is fuel in the crankcase. They said it wouldn't hurt to run it this way! and if it came apart then warranty would fix it! but if I wanted them to check it out now I would have to pay about $200.00 up front for diagnostics and if they found a problem with injectors or pump they might not make me pay the $200.00 and then cover it under warranty. What should I do?

mark45678
11-18-2005, 16:40
take a oil sample when you have about 500 mile on this oil , send it to a lab.... most big truck dealer can help you with the lab . with the info in hand then talk to your dealer, I have never heard of a motor blow up due to deisel in the oil , gas motors will not last 100 miles with a 50/50 mix oil / gas . keep a eye on your oil level . If it where my truck I would just run it , I go 10,000 miles on my shell syn 5-40 and never open the hood other then to fill the winshield washer fluid .Book says you can and I do , I will not own the truck for the rest of my life.... If the min wasnt good enough then why call it the min. I change the oil 3 time in the first 3000 mile then strait to syn oil at 10K ..... drive it like you hate it after 500 mile honeymoons over and love it for what it can do! :eek: after 66,000 mile on my lly it uses 4~8 oz of oil every 10000 mile !

oyazi
11-18-2005, 17:29
Bullseye chk IMO is subjective. Perhaps so because I've not personally seen a valid one yet. So, when I allowed myself to become discombobulated on the issue, I sent off an oil sample. While awaiting the sample, I did change the oil ~ keeping even more just in case. But this time, very careful on the fill. I put 8 or 9 qts in and idled long enuff to be sure the filter & passages were completely filled (I do prefill the filter ~ sorta) and let it set overnite. Then filled it up to 1 or 2 marks short of the full mark on the dip schtick pod. So if there is an increase in level, its readily apparent. When my results came back, it was clear of any fuel contamination. Whenever I check oil level, I really like it to sit overnight just to be sure. I'll trust the bullseye when I can see one that works. Until then, I'm a skeptic.

As far as meeting the dealers criteria ~ I've seen more than a couple of posts suggesting that a person when thoroughly convinced of light to moderate fuel contamination ~ would toss a qt of diesel into the case, call the tow and while waiting, idle it a few mins for a good mix. Doesn't sound like it would meet GMs criteria tho ~

[ 11-18-2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: oyazi ]

rosinger
11-18-2005, 19:44
I was a diesel mechanic for 25 years. Saw many mechanics attempt to test for fuel in oil by dropping lube oil off the dipstick in to a cup of water. If it stayed the size of the drop it was okay. If it spread across the top of water supposedly it had fuel in it. Tried this test many times, found it very inacurate. I developed a test on my own that was almost 100% accurate. I would pull out the dipstick and let no more then one drop of lube oil (from warm engine) drip onto the back of my hand. Then I would attempt to rub it into my skin. If the "oil drop" disappears and my skin looked dry where I rubbed the oil then it definately had fuel in it. If the "oil drop" would not disappear and I could see a sheen on my skin then the oil was ok. Try this test yourself, however I have never tried it with synthetic oil.

markrinker
11-19-2005, 06:35
What did this test do for your skin complexion? tongue.gif

cowboywildbill
11-19-2005, 08:51
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I did the same test on our New Holland diesel tractor (the injectors and lines on the tractor do not go thru any internal parts of the engine where it could put fuel in the oil). The tractor only has 60 hrs on it and I changed the oil at 50 hours and used same type of oil that is in our truck. I got almost the same result only the ring is not as wide. I did the truck again this morning and it now looks just about like the tractor sample. I did multiple spots on the napkin and two of them from the truck did not make a ring and two of them did? Maybe it is how much I drop or spread on the napkin that makes it look different. I will try the test on my hand. Maybe that will tell. I guess I might have to get a sample tested for real piece of mind. I always thought this test was accurate. Maybe the napkins are different. I have tried it on plain printer paper also and it doesn't seem to spread on that. I am scratching my head again. I also checked my rear diff. and it had too much gear oil in it. I know I filled it correctly and the truck was level both times. ? It has been a strange week.

oyazi
11-19-2005, 16:25
Strange week? Thats what I meant by 'discombobulated'. One can easily find oneself chasing his own tail. I'll try the drop on the back of the hand method. As I previously mentioned I almost talked myself into injector replacement when it wasn't needed. Levels are a tricky thing. Seems as tho the eng takes forever to drain down. And that cable dip schtick doesn't help the situation.

Jim Brzozowski
11-22-2005, 09:16
CowboyWildBill, Is is possible the differential was hot when you checked it this time versus a cool refill level when you changed it? That might make a difference.

cowboywildbill
11-22-2005, 11:37
No it was sitting for two day's on the four ramps. I think maybe all of the residual drained in from the axels? Oh well I'll check it again in a month or so.

Kennedy
11-22-2005, 17:11
www.theoillab.com (http://www.theoillab.com)

cowboywildbill
11-23-2005, 09:51
Thanks John, I'll send them a sample.