PDA

View Full Version : Colored diesel

34 M
11-19-2005, 20:33
Anybody out there run coloered diesel for long perid of time in a druamax. If so did you have any problem with it later.

More Power
11-21-2005, 09:20
If this truck is only driven off-road and you can prove it (i.e. not licensed for highway use), and is trailered to the dealer for a warranty problem, your warranty will be honored.

If you drive your truck to the dealer with off-road fuel in the system, your warranty could be denied. They could claim you're using non-spec fuel or using a non-compatible fuel treatment.

You could argue (and/or prove) that it's simply dyed off-road #2 diesel fuel (admitting being in violation of the law). Fines are onerous.... :(

Jim

tanker
11-22-2005, 02:15
I would not want to get caught using dyed fuel. One member of "The Diesel Page" from Florida, was in Minnesota their trip to Salt Lake City for the annual "Rendezvous" and was stopped by a Minnesoto Trooper, and had his fuel checked for dye. He asked the trooper why she puled him over? She stated that many are running dyed fuel and that they are checking all Diesel Pickups etc for dyed fuel. She said she spotted the "Dura-Max" emblems from the other side of the highway! :rolleyes:
I know of two people here in Pennsylvania that got caught with dyed fuel in a pickup, one fine was $1100.00, I never heard what the othe fine was.
It sure doesn't pay when you get caught. agent's are spot checking and now know that a few are cheating the system. Most dyed "Off Road" fuel is heating oil which is not the cleanest fuel around.
Not for me. ;)

LanduytG
11-22-2005, 02:47
Right now diesel is not dyed because of all the hurrican stuff. Here in Indiana I have not seen green fuel for a couple of months. Its a toss up between red and brown. I thought this was nation wide but my be not.

Greg

Black95TD
11-22-2005, 04:19
Right now in Connecticut, Diesel fuel is clear and home heating fuel is dyed red. I have asked my supplier - both home and where I buy truck fuel and they both indicated that the on-road diesel fuel is treated with an additive package. Not sure what is in the additives but I read an article some time ago that indicated that the low sulphur fuel needs additives to enhance lubrication. Personally, I would never take a chance given the cost of these engines and the pressures in the FI system.