PDA

View Full Version : idler pulley part numbers

mhagie
11-20-2005, 06:25
Got a bearing squeak on my 02 it has 2 idler pulleys and the belt tensioner, none of them feel really good.
Neither Auto Zone or O'Reillys have the idler pulleys, only the tensioner,their idler pulleys have the same part number as the tensioner which is no help.
Tensioner has grooves, Idler is smooth cause it runs on back side of belt.
I need some part numbers so I can try GM Parts Direct.
Thanks, Merle

BradL
11-21-2005, 04:25
All you need to do to get part numbers is simply email gmpartsdirect and tell them what you are looking for. They will need your truck model and VIN, and they will email you back the part number.

I've done this several times.

henryj
11-29-2005, 13:08
Had same issue on my 01', went to local parts house with a press got them to press out bearing and the spacer, got numbers off the bearing, pressed spacer in, then pressed it back into tensioner cost about 8 bucks, didn't bother with GM I'm sure that it would be more

Ranch55
11-29-2005, 14:08
Same here. All I do is press out the old bearing and press in a new bearing. Saves a lot of dollars.

Jim Brzozowski
12-21-2005, 10:25
which idler pulley bearing went out first? I like the replace only the bearing idea, especially if they go out every 2 or 3 years. When I drive in a heavy rain or go through auto car wash, the next morning when I start up I hear squeeking, not sure yet if its a bearing going dry, or just a spot on one of the pullys that might have a tough of rust overnight and causes a squeek as it hits the belt. Any ideas on that? What sounds did you hear before knowing it was the bearing?

mhagie
12-21-2005, 20:26
Could hear a noise so I took off belt and spun idlers by hand and found that 1 idler and the tensioner bearings were rough so I just replaced them all, tensioner was $15 at auto zone I saved the old and am going to replace bearing in it and will save it as a spare.
Merle

Jim Brzozowski
12-22-2005, 10:13
Thanks, good idea why not check them like you did and avoid having to make the repair on the road instead of at home.

Jim Brzozowski
01-04-2006, 10:24
Pulled the belt and checked mine out over the holidays, can't find any problem, feels good so back on with the belt and keep on keeping on.