PDA

View Full Version : Alt guage reading

akcowboy76
02-25-2005, 07:05
I was wondering is someone is having this same problem? When I start my truck up in the morning or after the truck sits for more than a few hours, on initial start the voltage guage reads low and the lights are dim, them after a few minutes the guage builds up to 14+ and the lights get brighter. and since I have the six speed when I shift the volts drop amd my light dim untill I am in the next gear and RPM's go up. Would this cause a charging system fault? Thanks for all the help.

Bill Moncrief
02-25-2005, 07:16
Hello;
I to have this problem but I have the Alli. Any way I was told at the dealer when I was in for service that it was do to the glowplugs staying on longer in cold weather. Try plugging truck in if possible this seems to eliminate problem.
Tower Jake

DmaxMaverick
02-25-2005, 09:38
Your engine has glow plugs, intake heating grid, and a fuel filter heater. When it's cold out, they all come on before you start. The colder, the longer.

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal. To
"hurry" it along, you can turn off all your accessories (HVAC, stereo, lights, set E-brake, etc.) until the voltage comes up. Makes a couple second's difference with mine, and probably more for someone in real cold country.

Plugging in won't change it much because the air is still cold. Also, use caution with the engine heater. Don't use it if you don't need it. There are some issues that come up when it's not that cold, like above 30

akcowboy76
02-27-2005, 06:51
But what about the voltage drop after the truck has been running long past the warm up time. when I am shifting?. Wouldn't the glow plug (Wait to Start light) be cycling on and off showing the heaters are on? Thanks again for your infromation you have provided me.

Jim Brzozowski
03-03-2005, 09:40
I noticed a momentary voltge drop with the Allie, when the TC unlocks below 50mph, it would drop and then come right back up. I know the Alternator is strong enough at idle, so I pulled the battery cables off one by one and cleaned and reinstalled them and problem went away for about a year or so. You might try that. By not disconnecting everything at once you don't loose any learned programing in the computers. Just be very careful with the positive wire. Don't let it touch any part of the truck. I have a thick piece of rubber to set them on so it doesn't arc.