PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Problem

SPICER
04-23-2003, 18:27
I just changed my OE filter for the first time. I felt very prepared having read nearly all the threads. BUT, I have never heard of this...

I was told the removal of the old filter could be as hard as the removal of the OE oil filter. I had a strap wrench and it came off EASILY! I assembled the new filter with the drain/WIF sensor assembly and lubed all the gaskets,etc.. Then as I was installing the new filter I did as the side of the filter said, Tighten 1/3 to 1/2 turn past contact.(I never used a filter wrench to tighten, just my hands from through the wheel well.) But, the filter just kept turning!!! I had the gasket tight and flush with the filter mount, started to go the extra 1/2 turn and she just kept turning!!! As if the filter cannister separated from the internal plastic threads.

I didn't have another filter so I completed the assembly. I did tighten the drain/WIF sensor assembly with a small strap wrench but was careful not to overtighten. The truck started fine, but now I have fuel leaking from the bottom O-ring!!!!! Did my filter break internally???Please Help...SPICER

mackin
04-23-2003, 19:25
SPICER

I would think perhaps you just stripped out the rubber threads on the top of fuel filter ... Maybe just a bum filter .....You did replace o ring on the top and bottom with new ones that came with the filter ?? Best thing to do would be to remove and inspect for tears in rubber seals or cracks in the plastic threads at the water drain .....

MAC

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

56Nomad
04-23-2003, 19:26
SPICER, you just posted at12:56 PM today:
&gt;I've heard I need to make it "as tight as I can get it".
&gt;That scares me. I strip everything! SPICER

YIKES......... you sure are good at predicting bad things :eek:

I think you're gonna have to remove the filter to see
if indeed you stripped the plastic..... or if the canister
was defective.

Kennedy
04-23-2003, 21:34
Those are some pretty tough threads. SoMN can comment on the style, but they are basically "extra meaty" in that the underside is not relieved. I'd be more inclined to think it was the canister spinning on the end plate :eek:

ChevysRus
04-23-2003, 21:46
There's a thick rubber grommet that sometimes stays on the male thread and if you didn't take that off you could have too much space and the filter never got tight even thought it felt tight. Just pull it all off and start over. Sometimes the upper O ring can slip out of the groove and get pinched leaving space to leak.

It can be a pain the first time, but easy the next time, Don't give up!

SPICER
04-23-2003, 21:52
56Nomad,

You make me laugh, but thankfully this was not foreshadowing on my part. I took the new filter off to see if the inside plastic threads came loose. I could not make them move, so I put it back on...same thing, she spins and spins. So I decide to take it off again to put the old filter back on...IT WON'T COME OFF, SHE'S STUCK!!!!!! The only way off is a big drill bit through the middle of the filter(JK, this one is coming back in the mail) and sticking a big screwdriver through the clean filter media and twisting it off. I got it all back together, but I get to do it again next day because now I'm back where I started, with a dirty filter. :eek: :mad: SPICER

Victory Red
04-24-2003, 04:07
Spicer,

Now that you've lived through a 'worst case scenario' changing the fuel filter and you're in my area, YOU KNOW THAT I'M GOING TO CALL YOU to supervise me when I need to change out my fuel filter for the first time!

:D

Anyhow keep us posted on anything you may find, some of us haven't done this yet and are learning as much as we can beforehand.

SPICER
04-24-2003, 05:52
Victory Red,

It is ironic that after all my research and preparation I get the fuel filter which has its threads separate from the canister!!! I'm sure if I just tried to "wing it" like every other Joe it would have gone smooth as pie!!!!!

I wonder if this is common? It is also ironic that earlier in a post I stated that I was unimpressed with the whimpy construction of this OE filter. I can't wait for another competitor to make a filter to fit our trucks.

If you need help, let me know...and may I suggest as your first Mod, a JK Mega filter...can probably help with that too.

Also, my primer pump seems a little sticky and is slow to return up after pressing. Is ther any way to lube this thing? SPICER

[ 04-24-2003: Message edited by: SPICER ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
04-24-2003, 10:57
The big threads on the top of the filter are buttress style. Quite strong. Doubt we'd ever strip them out unless the filter was cross threaded- which would also be difficult due to the coarse pitch and the way the filter housing is machined.

schnier
04-24-2003, 12:42
You think that is bad, wait until the little pitcock at the bottom of the filter will not stop leaking. Get ready for the $45.00 part bill because it has a electrical wire attached to it. And then 7 days to order it. That is fun. A wood screw in the pitcock end stopped the leak until the new one came in!!! Good luck!!!!

mackin
04-24-2003, 16:26
schnier

Did you try replacing the Lil' o -ring ??

MAC

Victory Red
04-25-2003, 03:48
Spicer,

I was just kidding about the fuel filter help. Than again, when it comes time for me to change I may hit you up. I've got quite a ways to go yet before my first one is due, so who knows. I'm reaching the 7500 miles mark soon, so it's time for my first real once over. First oil change was a freebie from the dealer.

I'm interested in the Mega kit from JK as well, but with some of the air issues, I may hold off for a while until someone can nail down the cause behind it and/or a possible fix.

I'll keep you in mind though when the time comes!

schnier
04-25-2003, 04:54
No, I couldn't find the proper size o-ring, I greased the o-ring, I siliconed the o-ring, Oh well, what can go wrong will. Next time I will not loosen the pitcock before changing. Murphy's law kinda thing I guess.

SPICER
04-25-2003, 07:00
Schnier,

This happened to me too. My filter only had 6K miles, but my drain nipple was perpetually wet with a drop of diesel fuel. I ordered the new drain/WIF sensor assembly(mine cost $35).

The only reason I was changing my filter was so that I could swap out this assembly. I called JK and he said that the threads must have separated from the cannister. He said he has never heard of this happening before, but first time for everything! I will try to find a new O-ring for the drain valve on the old assembly. The only way for fuel to leak at the drain nipple is for it to get past this O-ring. SPICER

BigO
04-25-2003, 07:38
I am confused here, schnier said "You think that is bad, wait until the little pitcock at the bottom of the filter will not stop leaking. Get ready for the $45.00 part bill because it has a electrical wire attached to it".

I just did my first fuel filter on an 01 at 15,000 mi. I do not have a wire on my petcock valve. I have one on that main plug that screws into the bottom of my filter. The FAT ONE.

SPICER
04-25-2003, 08:40
BigO, That's the one, I think he meant that it comes as a unit. The drain was leaking, but the entire assembly must be replaced, unless you replace the O-ring and hope that fixes it. SPICER

Victory Red
04-25-2003, 15:35
Spicer,

Out of curiousity what aftermarket goodies(if any) have you added to your truck? There are a few things I've been looking at, but I'm waiting for a 'live' showing.

SPICER
04-25-2003, 21:32
Besides my MEGA filter I don't have any performance mods. Otherwise, Westin chrome/stainless nerf bars, ARE cap, Line-X liner, seat covers, molded floor mats, stampede bug shield, GM mud flaps, Amsoil air filter, AVLube super magnet drain plug.....I think that's it. SPICER smile.gif

Victory Red
04-26-2003, 03:54
hmmm, no mods? probably because you spent all your $$$ on prettying up the truck :rolleyes:

Anyhow, what's your opinion on the install/value of the MEGA? It is one of the additons I've been considering but with the air issues, I've held off a bit. I wish someone would just make a 2 mic filter to replace our OEM's but until that happens.....

I'm planning on hitting the get together in Wausau on the 10th, so hopefully I'll be able to meet some guys and see some vendors/installs. If not I'll have to meet you at a Webb's for some coffee/chili and check out the Mega some saturday.

Did you see a mileage increase as some have stated with the cleaner fuel? I just broke 19mpg on my last tank, I'm looking forward to the next mark of hitting 20.

Also with your LineX Liner, how do you like it vs a drop in? I haven't picked a new liner yet, still deciding which way to go on this one. Where'd you get it and how much?
[ 04-26-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]

[ 04-26-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]</p>

SPICER
04-26-2003, 06:17
The Mega filter solves the problem of the 5-10 micron dirt that is most damaging to our injectors. The OE filter is poor at best for this. Air entrapment as found by the Mega filter is not a Mega filter problem, it is the Mega filter FINDING an air leak problem somewhere else in the system. A 2 micron replacement filter for the Duramax would never work. Because it would have to be apx. the same size as the OE, it would prematurely clog. Much bigger 2 micron filters installed in front of the OE filter have clogged prematurely. I did notice a slight mileage/performance increase, but we are also switching from winter blend to straight #2 diesel now and it is hard to separate what the increase is attributed to. My Line-X was about $400 and I love it. It is the most durable spray-in available. I would only consider a drop-in liner if I was throwing rocks, bricks, or firewood at it regularly. Drop-ins can absorb shock better where a spray-in could still dent the bed. I got it in Milwaukee, check the yellow pages. What's going on in Wausau? Hope this helps...SPICER

56Nomad
04-26-2003, 09:37
Spicer.....

That does not sound correct. I believe the Mega Filter more
effectively removes the 2 micron stuff (of course the bigger
stuff as well). Even though the OEM Racor filter is rated at
2 micron, apparently it is not doing a great job in removing the
majority of the small stuff. I can't remember the exact amount
but I think it was only 60 % efficient. Thats why many of us have
gone to a 2 micron absolute filter such as the Mega filter, Racor
Stanadyne, CAT.

The exact cause of why some of the MEGA filters are trapping
air is still under investigation, as I understand.

Victory Red
04-26-2003, 11:15
Spicer,

This is from the diesel events/rallies topic:

posted 04-17-2003 02:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K&S Fuel Injection is hosting an "Open House/Dyno Run" on May 10. Looks like they will have a representative from BD Power there. Also a radio station is planned for the event, taking qualifiers for their "hog of the century" raffle.
Free food and refreshments available all day.

Dyno run is $50.00 and can run again if experimenting.

This has been posted on the Dodge and Ford sites also, so maybe some more Ford boys will show this time.

This is the place where JK had his 430+ rwhp run last fall.

--------------------

As for the spray in liner, well the 3 things you've mentioned are(stone, brick and firewood) are the majority of the things I haul. IE I've got a lot of landscaping going on, and 2 fireplaces to feed in the winter months. Oh well i guess that answered my questions

:D
I'm not totally sold on the Mega kit yet, I trust JK just from the rep he's gotten here, but I want to hold out a little longer to see what gets discovered or what else I would need to replace if I have a 'leaker'.

SPICER
04-27-2003, 21:13
Victory Red,

I know we are off the subject of fuel filters now, but you said landscaping. I have a tree service in this area. Mostly tricky pruning and removal, I've been a climber/rigger in the big trees since 1987. If you want, E-mail a j spicer @execpc.com. I heat my house with wood also, but I use a 12,000lb. trailer. SPICER :D

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: SPICER ]

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: SPICER ]

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: SPICER ]</p>