PDA

View Full Version : Century Warranty Services?

TXMAX
03-15-2005, 19:34
Anyone familiar with Century Warranty Services? I did a search but nothing came up for them. They came from the CARMAX website. I traded my two wheel drive '02 for a four wheel drive '02. I has 38K on it and I'm thinking the warranty might be a good idea. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
TXMAX

DmaxMaverick
03-15-2005, 20:38
Warranties will get a pretty wide variety of responses here. Some say it's a waste, other say good investment. My opinion is it is a waste of money, I hope. I won't need one, unless I don't have one. There is no way anyone can say they get their money's worth out of one. It's priceless if you get nailed with a big repair (or a bunch of small ones), and worthless if you never need it. Call it a gamble.

That being said, I would not recommend any other than GMPP. If you shop around, you can get one for near the price of the aftermarkets, with guaranteed service. Going with an aftermarket warranty is a bigger gamble. The fine print will burn you. Who knows if they will even be in business when/if you have a claim. Remember. Their business is to make money. They can only do that if they beat the odds. If everyone else did, they'd be bankrupt, like several have gone in years past.

TXMAX
03-16-2005, 07:25
DMAXMaverick,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't have one on my two wheel drive '02 because I owned it from day one (other than the CARFAX report) but I have no history on this new (used) one. I am just trying to find out if anyone has used these guys. I do share your concern about there liquidity but...

Thanks again.

DmaxMaverick
03-16-2005, 07:43
I understand your concerns when buying used. It's a tough call.

I have one suggestion. Get your best price on any warranty you might consider. Take that cash you would spend on it, and deposit into a savings account. Use those funds to pay for repairs that would have been covered. At the end of the term you would have had, it's my bet that you would still have a positive balance. Keep in mind, many repairs you think should be covered can, and usually do, get denied. Figure in additional costs for loss of transportation, travel, or any other losses they won't cover.

A lot of it depends on the vehicle you are looking at. If a warranty company offers to cover a certain vehicle for X amount of $, it reasonable to assume stastistics have shown that vehicle will cost much less to repair over the term. Use their logic against them. Like I said before, they are in the business to make money. There are certain vehicles and/or components they don't cover because, statistically, they will lose money.